News   Jul 15, 2024
 94     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 605     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

The UK Chancellor (Finance Minister) seems to have given up on private financing in UK (where the PFI, or PPF, model was 'invented' and was very popular). No doubt (??) Thug is paying attention since he seems to think they are the best thing since sliced bread. (From Independent)

The chancellor pledged to end the use of private finance initiatives (PFI) which he described as a "classic Labour solution; pouring good money after bad."
"I have never signed off a PFI contract, and I can confirm today that I never will," Mr Hammond told the House of Commons in his Budget speech on Monday.
PFI, which allows private companies to finance public investment, has been used to build hospitals, schools and other spending projects but has generated a huge amount of controversy. Many PFI projects have locked in public authorities into long and expensive contracts.
PFIs were thrown into the spotlight earlier this year this year when construction firm Carillion collapsed, putting thousands of jobs at risk.

Of course, though it was not a PFI (PPF) project, we just avoided a disaster by getting rid of Carillion from Union Station just before they went bankrupt (and into the hands of Bondfield, who are not in great shape!)

lmao at how on this question about sex-ed, "religious and community leaders" as a source of information for sexual health are grouped together as if there isn't a big difference
Oh man, speed reading resulted in my initially seeing "Groped Together" instead of 'grouped together'.

Come together, right now, over me. (Beer a buck)

More of Doug Ford's anti-education edicts.

Ford government to stop paying for math upgrade courses for teachers

From link.

Some Ontario educators are raising concerns about the province's move to halt funding that would allow current teachers to gain math qualifications in the wake of an announcement that new teachers would be required to pass a proficiency test on the subject before entering the classroom.

Earlier this month, the Ontario Teachers' Federation sent out a news release that said subsidies established by the previous Liberal government for additional qualifications in math “are coming to an end.”

President Diane Dewing said the federation has received the last anticipated influx of government cash to fund the subsidies, which were used by working teachers at all levels who wanted to upgrade their skills.

Even private companies pay for upgrade courses for their employees.

More of Doug Ford's anti-education edicts.

Ford government to stop paying for math upgrade courses for teachers

From link.

Even private companies pay for upgrade courses for their employees.
From the article:
Ministry spokeswoman Heather Irwin said the government is “taking the necessary time to review all programs” as it conducts a line-by-line review of expenses.
Yeah, and here's where to start, and and the number one thing to start on are Separate School Boards:

Education Facts, 2016-2017* (Preliminary)
Schools and School Boards
The following are the most recent facts and figures available for Ontario's publicly funded education system.

• Administration: Ontario's schools are administered by district school boards and school authorities.
  • School boards are divided as follows:
    • 31 English Public
    • 29 English Catholic
    • 4 French Public
    • 8 French Catholic
  • There are 10 School Authorities, consisting of 4 geographically isolated boards and 6 hospital-based school authorities.
Education Facts - Ministry of Education - Ontario.ca

www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/educationfacts.html

Can't agree strongly enough!
Ontario is an absurdity compared to other provinces, let alone more developed, higher standard of living and education nations (as per results from the OECD's PISA scores).

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/

Ontario was doing well in some categories, but now going backwards or standing still on most of the scores, even relative to other provinces.

Doug Ford pissing on teachers as whipping boys (he gets his jollies in odd ways) is a complete chimera. Of course, Ford thinks a Chimera is an affordable car that deserves cheaper gas. He never could add, let alone add it up.

https://theconversation.com/why-canada-fails-to-be-an-education-superpower-82558

Ontario is an absurdity compared to other provinces, let alone more developed, higher standard of living and education nations (as per results from the OECD's PISA scores).

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/

Ontario was doing well in some categories, but now going backwards or standing still on most of the scores, even relative to other provinces.

Doug Ford pissing on teachers as whipping boys (he gets his jollies in odd ways) is a complete chimera. Of course, Ford thinks a Chimera is an affordable car that deserves cheaper gas. He never could add, let alone add it up.

https://theconversation.com/why-canada-fails-to-be-an-education-superpower-82558
So essentially you are saying that because the Liberals completely messed up the education system over the past 15 years, it's Ford fault because he hasn't fixed it in his first 4 months.

True, but teachers’ work hours, pay, job security and benefits put them in a completely different category from private sector employees.

Teaching is not a nine to five job, prep work, grading, parent interviews and other concerns fall outside the regular work time. Oh yes... play yard supervision that too. I have known many teachers who were "part time and supply, for years before getting hired full time. There was no job security and many worked throughout the summer holidays to provide summer school services to provide remedial education or simply part time free daycare. Many teachers have upgraded their "skills" in the evening, so why not continue to pay for it or supplement the fees. It will benefit our children in the long run.

Teaching is not a nine to five job, prep work, grading, parent interviews and other concerns fall outside the regular work time. Oh yes... play yard supervision that too. I have known many teachers who were "part time and supply, for years before getting hired full time. There was no job security and many worked throughout the summer holidays to provide summer school services to provide remedial education or simply part time free daycare. Many teachers have upgraded their "skills" in the evening, so why not continue to pay for it or supplement the fees. It will benefit our children in the long run.
Fair enough. However, once they’re full-time, as the vast majority of teachers are, they’re in a different universe from private sector employees.

Fair enough. However, once they’re full-time, as the vast majority of teachers are, they’re in a different universe from private sector employees.
Indeed a different universe, how many private sector employers ask their employees to volunteer for extra curricular activities outside their normal work hours, or give up their lunch breaks to supervise children in the school yard before school or to take home work so they can prepare themselves for the next day and report cards. Teachers do provide a service for which they are rewarded and like all union members they have negotiated a contract which provides them with fair work circumstances and remuneration and an opportunity to contribute to a pension fund. If the govt. requires that said teachers need to take remedial courses to enhance or strengthen their skills they should pay for the cost. Personally I have never heard of an employer forcing their employees to attend classes at night/day without pay or reimbursement.

And many teachers do spend their summers "off" taking courses, which comes after cleaning out the classroom after the kids have finished up for the year and before setting up the classroom before the kids return.

I used to think that teachers had it easy. Then I got to know some and saw the hours they put in. Summer ends up being lieu time to make up for all the overtime they put in during the school year.

And yes, there are people who abuse it, who don't put in the extra time or take courses, but that happens in any sector. There are lazy lawyers and doctors too.

Teaching can be a rewarding career and a good job, but it's not the free ride that people like to call it.

So essentially you are saying that because the Liberals completely messed up the education system over the past 15 years, it's Ford fault because he hasn't fixed it in his first 4 months.
Errr...no. You are. I say you killed Cock Robin. And sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Back