News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

No, why? The people who voted for him will still vote for him. He hasn't done anything to upset those people.

Except for make it harder for them to pay their bills and try really hard to discourage business from opening up shop here.

By the way, anyone who thinks driving down wages for the lowest-paid is going to encourage businesses to flock here for the "low wages" is drunk on fantasy.

Most of the people who voted for him didn't know what they were getting. Now that they do......

I'd also add that Ford's efforts to reduce beer prices and his broad approach to weed sales are certainly more 'liberal' than what the Liberals planned (though less dependent on government, of course).

Very much more liberal (the ganja, not the beer). The previous government's law on marijuana was a sham legalisation and still treated people like imbecile children not worthy of self-determination in the context of their own faculties.

Also, being liberal is not necessarily related to dependence on government for anything. Especially not when it comes to individual freedoms and the right of people to do with themselves as they please.

The "attempt" to lower beer prices by this government was a pathetic and illiberal ploy to garner the votes of fools. It did nothing and had no chance of doing anything to lower beer prices in anywhere near a non-negligible amount. I say it was illiberal because it used the apparatus of the state to try to bribe businesses to sell product at a loss for no reason other than to fool the foolish.

A liberal approach to beer prices would be a reduction in the tax on alcohol and a liberalisation (the word is used in this sense for a reason) of alcohol sales (man, if they ever liberalise drugs safer than alcohol, we'll all be winners).

Anyway, I give them -10 points for the beer shenanigans and +10 points for the marijuana law reform......which brings us to me having my opinion of this government as far as drugs policy goes at the same place as when they started their grand experiment in......Doug's ego massage, or whatever the hell this is.

.....though, wait, if we throw in their revised safe injection site policy, we can add another +10 points and whoah, this government is more liberal (and rational!) in terms of drugs policy than the last.

.........ok, what's going on here?

The Star makes a connection between the funding cancellation for the campus in Brampton and the election of Patrick Brown. I'm not convinced there is but it will interesting to see if the future holds more municipal 'streamlining' in Peel, or perhaps all GTA regions as cover. His potential vindictiveness knows few bounds.

Merits aside, this strikes me as a peculiar decision politically.

It only adversely effects the '905' including 2 fairly strong Tory areas historically Markham and Milton and another Brampton, in which they are competitive.

The savings, given the initial project scope are relatively small.

I would always have argued against the Milton campus, apologies to the people thereof, but not the most logical location from my perspective.

But definitely a vote getter locally.

The Star makes a connection between the funding cancellation for the campus in Brampton and the election of Patrick Brown. I'm not convinced there is but it will interesting to see if the future holds more municipal 'streamlining' in Peel, or perhaps all GTA regions as cover. His potential vindictiveness knows few bounds.

This is not surprising. Doug and his brothers were raised as spoiled , poorly educated boors who expect everyone to do their bidding. No changes here.

You don't even need higher education anymore. You can become councillor, mayor, or premier without it. Also bill Gates dropped out of school. These days you just need Google and youtube and you can do anything.
We need to remember that this was a Liberal election promise that was cancelled - not a well thought out policy.
Basically everything that the Liberal did in their final year was a reckless attempt to buy voters with no consideration for the future.
This is just Ford trying to undo some of the damage inflicted by the Liberals.

We need to remember that this was a Liberal election promise that was cancelled - not a well thought out policy.
Basically everything that the Liberal did in their final year was a reckless attempt to buy voters with no consideration for the future.
This is just Ford trying to undo some of the damage inflicted by the Liberals.

Except for being poorly thought out and completely erroneous this statement is a fine contribution to the discussion.

Doug Ford is no Bill Davis, just the exact opposite. Bill Davis, who was the Progressive Conservative Minister of Education from 1962 until he became the PC Premier from 1971 – 1985, expanded education facilities in Ontario. He also extended funding of the Catholic boards from grade 10 to 13, and initiated the community colleges for post secondary.

Doug Ford is a dropout, who skipped classes. So it's expected he would be anti-education.

Back