News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 463     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I give the scheming HQ Cons a bit more credit than Ford will ever be due.

He's their 'Useful Idiot', the flag they fly when people are getting kicked in the groin, the undertaker, the get-away car driver hit-man. And then when the dirty work is done, they dump him, and then run someone far more electable like, hmmmm...let's see now...oh yeah, Elliot, the one they made the deal with...so she can get elected for being "the good cop" as opposed to the "cop out" who "we all knew was a fuck-up after all"...

Except that's all predicated on Joe and Josephine Jerkoff conveniently forgetting who installed the moron in the first place. And given a remade Liberal or NDP or even a 'Centrist Party of Ontario' (that melds the two and more) not happening...an unlikely scenario, as time after time in this province, and Canada, absolutely routed parties have risen again out of the ashes.

John Tory might also turn out to be a "Useful Idiot" to die on the mantle of the Battle of the Ford...since there's no way Tory can achieve what he claims to be able to. And neither can Ford.

Four years to clear the air. Might not be that bad of a deal in the end, we'll see.

I don't want to see Ford win four years from now, but if the party performs well I'm not so sure they'll be quick to get rid of him.

As for Tory, he's going to be Mayor for 8 years. Hard to put him in the 'Useful Idiot' category.

It would be wise to not underestimate these politicians. By the time Tory is done this term (if I recall, he only wanted two terms) Toronto will have had a 'conservative' Mayor for 12 years straight.

People certainly did vote against Wynne, but she wasn't supposed to win the 2014 election either. Ford, despite the Brown scandal and other issues managed to do what several other candidates couldn't - beat the Liberals.

I have my doubts about the NDP being a real challenge next time, and the Liberals rebuilding in one election cycle.

It wouldn't at all shock me to see Ford done by the next election, but I'd say it's premature to be declaring him out of the Premier's office in four years.

Last edited:
Except that's all predicated on Joe and Josephine Jerkoff conveniently forgetting who installed the moron in the first place. And given a remade Liberal or NDP or even a 'Centrist Party of Ontario' (that melds the two and more) not happening...an unlikely scenario, as time after time in this province, and Canada, absolutely routed parties have risen again out of the ashes.

No Horwath, no Fraser replacement, but a melding in the middle of centrists to form a Centrist Party of Ontario. It was the pig-headedness of Horwath and Wynne which doomed this province to getting jerked by jerks.

And the same people have the temerity to despise Bob Rae. Ontario is paying for its own shortcomings. Time for a Centrist Party yet again, with a nod to the Blue Machine of the past.

We had a centrist party in the last election, Steve. It was called the Liberal Party. Didn't you notice?

Ok, so Ford's labour reforms, ie. Bill 148 repeal is out in detail today.

I'd say highlights, but that would somehow seem wrong, so the lowlights are below:

Minimum Wage frozen till 2020, after which indexing to inflation returns.
Paid Sick Days are gone, replaced by unpaid sick days, only 3 total, and 3 days for 'family responsibility'.
Employers may once more demand 'doctors notes'.
Three Weeks paid vacation after 5 years w/the same employer remains (small mercies)

There are a raft of changes regarding unionizing a work place which will broadly make it more challenging

The equal pay provisions for FT/PT/Casual staff are rescinded.

They are also reducing the penalties for violation of the Labour Standards Act (100k for a business back to 25 (max))

A variety of changes regarding scheduling, which I have still have to sort out the impact of

Backgrounder Here:

https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2018...emoving-burdens-while-protecting-workers.html

Also a slew of changes regarding apprenticeship rules, and a move to completely phase out the Ontario College of Trades

Backgrounder Here:

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/20...dernizing-ontarios-apprenticeship-system.html

We had a centrist party in the last election, Steve. It was called the Liberal Party. Didn't you notice?
Well duh, no, I didn't. And they weren't Centrist, or 'didn't you notice'? They were way off course. And the Dippers were no better. And the Cons won by default. Wynne was toxic.

It's time for a massive reformation at the Centre. And none of the parties are there, or show any signs of being there at the present rate. And yet that's historically where Ontario votes, and will continue to do so given the opportunity.

The most Centrist Party now in Ontario? Ironically, the Greens.

The Liberals were certainly left of centre on quite a few social issues, but privatizing Hydro and P3s are straight out of the 'Conservative' playbook.

For me they were easily a centrist party under Wynne.

The Liberals were certainly left of centre on quite a few social issues, but privatizing Hydro and P3s are straight out of the 'Conservative' playbook.

For me they were easily a centrist party under Wynne.
I agree, but that's not what the platform was towards the end. Read Fraser's own words on the matter, still got this up on the taskbar, lots more on line:
After 15 years in power, accumulating baggage and barnacles, Liberals knew that Ontarians had had enough. Rightly or wrongly, Wynne sought votes by veering further left, piling on ambitious social programs — from child care to pharmacare and mental health care. By contrast, Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives won far more votes with a paucity of policy, backed by a vow to dismantle existing Liberal programs.

As Interim Leader John Fraser told delegates on the weekend, voters “wanted change ... they put us in the penalty box.” Traditionally, that works miracles, allowing a penalized party to bide its time and rethink policy until the governing party trades places with it.
https://www.ourwindsor.ca/opinion-s...herapy-ontario-s-liberals-plot-their-rebirth/

Well duh, no, I didn't. And they weren't Centrist, or 'didn't you notice'? They were way off course. And the Dippers were no better. And the Cons won by default. Wynne was toxic.

It's time for a massive reformation at the Centre. And none of the parties are there, or show any signs of being there at the present rate. And yet that's historically where Ontario votes, and will continue to do so given the opportunity.

The most Centrist Party now in Ontario? Ironically, the Greens.

Wynne had many flaws and her government much baggage, but suggesting, presumably, that they were materially to the left of centre is something with which I must take issue.

Let me say, I see right-centre-left as a tad dated conceptually, and as my signature denotes, my positions vary by issue and I would in many ways see myself as a pragmatist.

That said, did Wynne materially raise taxes via sales tax, corporate tax or as-paid income tax on the affluent? In a word, 'no'. Nor did she campaign on such.

Her government's belated move to raise the minimum wage, while rushed, was in no way extreme, not when Australia's minimum is materially higher, and many US States are moving to $15 USD per hour which is $19.62 per hour CAD.

Her move to mandate 2 paid sick days was shy of the NDP's proposal of 5 and Michigan's new mandate of 9 paid sick days.

Her move to mandate 3 weeks paid vacation after 5 years with the same employer only caught us up to Manitoba, Alberta and BC, not Sask where 3 weeks after 1 year is the law, nor the EU or Australia where 4 weeks is the law.

Her proposal to increase the extent of drug coverage still did not reach 'universality' which leaves Canada behind every other developed nation, the United States excepted.

I can't countenance an implication that that is the record of an immoderately left-wing party or government.

You may feel free disagree with it, or critique it in many ways (I certainly do) but not on that basis.

It did have an annoying, seemingly paternalistic vision of how to address issues around alcohol/drugs and some other issues, but I would not say that was 'left' in as much as it was common across all Ontario parties, at least up to the moment of Doug's ascension to the Conservative throne.

Last edited:
Reactions: syn
Wynne had many flaws and her government much baggage, but suggesting, presumably, that they were materially to the left of centre is something with which I must take issue.

Let me say, I see right-centre-left as a tad dated conceptually, and as my signature denotes, my positions vary by issue and I would in many ways see myself as a pragmatist.

That said, did Wynne materially raise taxes via sales tax, corporate tax or as-paid income tax on the affluent, in a word, 'no'. Nor did she campaign on such.

Her government's belated move to raise the minimum wage, while rushed, was in no way extreme, not when Australia's minimum is materially higher, and many US States are moving to $15 USD per hour which is $19.62 per hour CAD.

Her move to mandate 2 paid sick days was shy of the NDP's proposal of 5 and Michigan's new mandate of 9 paid sick days.

Her move to mandate 3 weeks paid vacation after 5 years with the same employer only caught us up to Manitoba, Alberta and BC, not Sask where 3 weeks after 1 year is the law, nor the EU or Australia where 4 weeks is the law.

Her proposal to increase the extent of drug coverage still did not reach 'universality' which leaves Canada behind every other developed nation, the United States excepted.

I can't countenance an implication that that is the record of an immoderately left-wing party or government.

You may feel free disagree with it, or critique it in many ways (I certainly do) but not on that basis.

It did have an annoying, seemingly paternalistic vision of how to address issues around alcohol/drugs and some other issues, but I would not say that was 'left' in as much as it was common across all Ontario parties, at least up to the moment of Doug's ascension to the Conservative throne.

I'd also add that Ford's efforts to reduce beer prices and his broad approach to weed sales are certainly more 'liberal' than what the Liberals planned (though less dependent on government, of course).

It's important to note that Ontario's spending was actually very reasonable on a per-capita basis relative to other provinces:

https://www.fao-on.org/en/Blog/Publications/Relative Fiscal Performance

I agree, but that's not what the platform was towards the end. Read Fraser's own words on the matter, still got this up on the taskbar, lots more on line:

https://www.ourwindsor.ca/opinion-s...herapy-ontario-s-liberals-plot-their-rebirth/

With all due respect, I think Fraser is wrong.

Not that the Libs weren't booted, they were.....

But I think he's reading the causes completely wrong.

I think they were booted, for completely bungling hydro, for privatizing Hydro One (immensely unpopular and seen as dishonest as it was not something the Libs ran on) , for running high deficits, and for making promises that people simply
didn't believe.

The raft of pre-election promises both smelled of desperation, but further, virtually none were actually in place prior to the election, leaving doubts as to the sincerity of the promises.

Timing/optics likely wouldn't have saved Wynne, but it might not have been as harsh a decline, had promises on removing deductibles for seniors drugs or lowering GO fares come into effect by May 1st of this year.

Likewise, as much as people have a distaste for higher taxes, a move to raise some to show a credible plan for paying for promises would not have hurt.

Andrea Horwath would certainly take issue with it, and she did.
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/just-how-far-can-andrea-horwath-go/

I'll dig further later, but Wynne couldn't help but fall over herself offering goodies to the Left of the Dippers towards the end. She completely lost my respect by not just selling herself cheap, but selling everyone else around her towards the end. It smacked of desperation rather than principle.

Back