665     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.1K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 984     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should Ford get the Danforth extension then? Or does that not count because it's not far along enough.

I'd say it doesn't count since it hasn't gotten to the construction phase yet. It could very likely be cancelled in the next few months. When construction does begin then I'd attribute it to Ford.

The reason for this is that we've had many subway projects approved and then cancelled over the past few decades. I don't think that mere approval is good enough to be included on the list.

Should Ford get the Danforth extension then? Or does that not count because it's not far along enough.

Should also go into Miller's tally ....he approved the LRT which was just a stalking horse intended to bring the subway after he left office...so, clearly, it should be added to Mr. Miller's total!

I presume you count underground LRT as "subway"?

Removed this post by accident. My bad.

You seriously think underground LRT aren't subways? I presume it's because of their use of light rail vehicles that you're thinking this.

Light rail vehicles and "subway" cars are essentially identical.

If it's size you're concerned about, the LRVs on the ECLRT are larger than subway cars in metros around the world.

I'd say it doesn't count since it hasn't gotten to the construction phase yet. It could very likely be cancelled in the next few months. When construction does begin then I'd attribute it to Ford.

The reason for this is that we've had many subway projects approved and then cancelled over the past few decades. I don't think that mere approval is good enough to be included on the list.

But when did the Crosstown get to construction?

But when did the Crosstown get to construction?

2011 I believe. That's not how I've tallied it though.

If the project was approved and if the project has successfully reached construction phase, I added it to the administration that the project was originally approved under. I think this is the most fair way to count it.

It would make no sense if to attribute a project to Mayor B even if it was approved under Mayor A and Mayor B tried unsuccessfully to cancel it because construction was too far along or Council wouldn't let him. It's important to keep these political nuances in mind.

Last edited:
But Finch and Sheppard are also fully funded, in the exact same agreement that fully funds Eglinton. You can't argue that Eglinton is safe because it's fully funded, if you don't think Finch and Sheppard are.

Fair enough ... I got the impression he didn't quite know where the Etobicoke and Scarborough borders were ... but wanted to make sure he name dropped them.

It's being built, but the underground tunnel that is being built, is only about 10% of the cost of the project.

Fair comment.

It said he'd cancel ALL the LRT.

Maybe cancel isn't the best word. Defer ... not build now ... not prioritize.

A white-paper is not an election platform. The white-paper prioritizes the DRL, and then also discusses Eglinton Crosstown and the Scarborough subway. The election platform (today's announcement) says one big project for Toronto, and says that is the DRL. I'll concede that they'd be building the Eglinton line eventually. But certainly not soon.

Well this should be an election issue then, that Hudak wants to cancel or postpone the Eglinton Line. If he is willing to cancel/postpohne it means he will postpone the DRL also until the province's finances are in better shape. It does not matter what the reasons all these politician from the past and current have for cancelling or postponing transit, its the fact they do. This needs to be clearly debated during a televised tv debate. The problem as I see it is these controls that are given out in small steps. The contract for the tunneling given out, yet I do not know why the delay for the next part which is station construction. Even if the construction is not to start till tunnellign is complete (I still dont see why it could not start at least once they tunneling was complete to the Allen), at least the contract is given out.

Last edited:
2011 I believe. That's not how I've tallied it though.

If the project was approved and if the project has successfully reached construction phase, I added it to the administration that the project was originally approved under. I think this is the most fair way to count it.

It would make no sense if to attribute a project to Mayor B even if it was approved under Mayor A and Mayor B tried unsuccessfully to cancel it. It's important to keep these political nuances in mind.

I get your methodology now.

The thing is, the mayor of Toronto is actually usually only a small part of the decision to build a subway, so credit or blame often isn't necessarily justified to be given to the mayor.

The mayor has one vote on council, and many of these projects are mainly driven by the province anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Spadina extension was due to the provincial government more than the cities.

I get your methodology now.

The thing is, the mayor of Toronto is actually usually only a small part of the decision to build a subway, so credit or blame often isn't necessarily justified to be given to the mayor.

The mayor has one vote on council, and many of these projects are mainly driven by the province anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Spadina extension was due to the provincial government more than the cities.

I agree completely with what you've said. The province definitely plays a more critical role and the mayor only does have one vote on council. However the point of that post was just to compare Mayor Ford's subway projects to Mayor Miller's. I got a little carried away by adding every mayor since the 1950s ;)

I agree completely with what you've said. The province definitely plays a more critical role and the mayor only does have one vote on council. However the point of that post was just to compare Mayor Ford's subway projects to Mayor Miller's. I got a little carried away by adding every mayor since the 1950s ;)

So, if I understand your methodology, Ford would be retroactively credited with the BD extension in Scarborough once it gets to construction phase?

For me there are 2 non-technical components to a project which require political support:
1) Spearheading the EA process. Getting folks interested in it and guiding through to a decision.
2) Funding

For #1, we have a promise to consider building a Scarborough subway.

Ford has expended some effort and political capital on #2; but is relying on whomever does #1 to come in under his magic number.

Last edited:
he should elevate Eglinton East. Changing technology now would be a mistake and LRT would work if the trains were elevated

The way to do it is this.

1. The tunnelling is a separate contract that is already well underway and will be completed.
  2. Issue a giant P3 contract (Vancouver SkyTrain style) to build a grade-separated transit line from Scarborough (Sheppard) to Mount Dennis.
  3. The Contractor then decide whether to use LRT, SkyTrain, or HRT, including the effects on the SRT corridor.
Switching technology may be less expensive and may not have an effect on the overall schedlue. Let the least see which is the actual best solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back