396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you for even an instant suggest that Hudak would ever try and replicate the Transport for London" model at Metrolinx.

In October, Hudak said the future of Metrolinx could be in doubt, and would consider the viability of the agency, as he looks for ways to dramatically cut costs.

I'd expect, that at best, it would be significantly downsized, with UPX and Presto sold off to the private sector, the transit expansion stuff being completely eliminated, and GO Transit being the only remaining piece, which would see most of the expansion projects eliminated, and services cut.

I can't imagine a worse outcome for public transit or Metrolinx than electing Tim Hudak.

Harris cut GO service to the bone last time too.

Harris cut GO service to the bone last time too.
Did he? He downloaded GO Transit to the GTA municipalities. I think it was the elimination of any money for GO that resulted in the service cuts, rather than Harris himself. Though not living in the GTA at the time, I wasn't paying as much attention.

Harris messed up so many aspects of life in Ontario that we are still recovering. Education, healthcare, transit... there is so much that is still wrong from what he did. The thought of Hudak applying the same misguided and short-sighted service cuts and austerity is a terrifying one. I hope to God we don't have him running this province anytime soon.

People get swayed by the "balancing the books" rhetoric, but it's very destructive.

Did he? He downloaded GO Transit to the GTA municipalities. I think it was the elimination of any money for GO that resulted in the service cuts, rather than Harris himself. Though not living in the GTA at the time, I wasn't paying as much attention.

I thought the story was Harris cut back service on Lakeshore to Oakville West (Bronte) and Pickering. Let me find it...

Starting October 1, 1990, a train started serving Oshawa, bypassing Ajax and Whitby on its way to Oshawa's VIA Station. Oshawa would not be added to the GO Sub until January 8, 1995. The eastern suburbs enjoyed expanded service until July 3, 1993, when budget cuts forced all but the rush-hour trains to be cut back to Pickering. On May 1, 2000, all-day-weekday service returned to the GO Sub, although weekend and holiday trains still terminate at Pickering.

The Lakeshore West line currently stretches 64.2 km from Union to Hamilton station. Virtually all, except for the last 2-3km of this route is on the CN Oakville Sub, while and the remainder is on the CP Hamilton Sub. The original Lakeshore West line served stations at Mimico, Long Branch, Port Credit, Lorne Park, Clarkson, Oakville, Bronte, Burlington and Hamilton. Sometime in August of 1967, GO trains started serving the Exhibition. In November 1967, Bronte Station was replaced by a new station a kilometre and a half to the east, named Oakville West (and renamed Bronte in the 1990s). Sometime in 1967, Lorne Park Station closed and, in March of 1980, Burlington station was replaced by a station bearing the same name, three-quarters of a kilometre to the east. Appleby Station opened on September 19, 1988, followed by Aldershot on May 25, 1992.
GO Transit

At first, the bulk of GO's Lakeshore West service was to Oakville, with two rush-hour trips running to Hamilton. Starting October 27, 1986, a third rush-hour train was added to Hamilton's service. GO wanted to extend service westward for some time, but had the same difficulty in negotiating track time with the freight railroads as it had in the east. Unfortunately, the GO ALRT project for the west was never as developed as it was in the east, and so no right-of-way was available when GO decided that conventional equipment would be better for the westward extensions than ICTS technology. Despite this, GO Transit was able to extend all day and weekend service from Oakville to Burlington, inclu

It's not clear, it just says service cuts, so I can't tell you for sure.
http://www.transit.toronto.on.ca/gotransit/2101.shtml

I'm younger than most if not everyone here and was only just born around the time Mike Harris got elected, but the thought of Hudak being elected just scares me.

This is my future we are talking about. I will be using using this transit a decade from now that Hudak plans to cancel.

All day service was brought from Oakville to Burlington and Pickering to Oshawa in the early 1990's, but was very quickly cancelled with peak only services making those trips under Harris. GO spent a ton of money to build that infrastructure, and the service levels that they were forced to run on them just a couple of years after opening were a joke.

Harris messed up so many aspects of life in Ontario that we are still recovering. Education, healthcare, transit... there is so much that is still wrong from what he did. The thought of Hudak applying the same misguided and short-sighted service cuts and austerity is a terrifying one. I hope to God we don't have him running this province anytime soon.

People get swayed by the "balancing the books" rhetoric, but it's very destructive.

This is all so true. A vote for the PCs is a vote for short sightedness. I'm young too here, and I refuse to be picking up the pieces from Tim Hudak's trail of cuts and destruction for the decades to come in my life.

We need real progress in this province, not a ridiculous platform that will take us back to the bad old days of the Harris era.

a vote for Hudak is a step backwards to the Harris era and privatization. Hudak said he was backing down on his Right to Work policy, yeah.... I'm not buying that.

a vote for Hudak is a step backwards to the Harris era and privatization. Hudak said he was backing down on his Right to Work policy, yeah.... I'm not buying that.

It's not directly transit related but Hudak is also pro-life. It's 2014 and we have a leader of a major political party aspiring to lead the biggest province in the country with views like this?

When he was running for the PC leadership in 2009, Hudak told the Association for Reformed Political Action he is pro-life and had signed petitions calling for the defunding of abortions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hudak-won-t-address-abortion-beliefs-1.1109975

Maybe if the Conservatives win a majority, Toronto council (and residents) will finally wake up and take responsibility for funding the TTC properly. For better or worse, the Scarborough subway debate showed that it is possible to fund transit improvements at the municipal level.

We've been at the mercy of the provincial government for too long, and look at where it's gotten us. A subway to Vaughan, a truncated LRT at risk of further truncation or cancellation, and many studies consigned to the recycling bin.

Toronto cannot build much on its own. The city's finances will be tapped out just from the Scarborough subway alone, for which we are only paying a fraction of the total cost.

Yup.

This is all so true. A vote for the PCs is a vote for short sightedness. I'm young too here, and I refuse to be picking up the pieces from Tim Hudak's trail of cuts and destruction for the decades to come in my life.

We need real progress in this province, not a ridiculous platform that will take us back to the bad old days of the Harris era.

My sentiments exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back