496     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 784     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
True but if you take it on a global scale, Canada did better than the other G7 countries during the recession due to sound fiscal policies. How about Ontario compared to it's neighbours? Right...The Green energy Act...ok... :rolleyes:

Canada did better than other G7 nations for 2 reasons:

1) Our strong banking laws (which prior to 2008 Harper wanted to repeal, by the way) which prohibited over-leveraging and other bad habits that got the US system so in trouble. They allowed our banks to stay solvent while so many others were going belly up.

2) Resources, specifically Alberta oil.

Ontario didn't have a strong resource-based economy to prop it up through the recession, and manufacturing kept hemorrhaging jobs, just as it had since the 90s.

Canada's economy sunk??? Most economists would strongly disagree with you

You didn't say economy, you said finances. Big difference.

Both Ontario and Canada ran deficits for almost years. I remember when both Ontario and Canada had something like 20 billion dollars down in 2007. Harper did not nothing but ruin what Martin did, same with Sobara/McGuinty and Harris.

You should be happy though, Sheppard East is coming for sure. The DRL will go to Fairview Mall.

"is coming for sure"? DRL to Sheppard? Hudak will obviously promise lots of subways, but will they actually get funding and proceed and actually start construction? My concern is he will show a map full of subways and then 5 years later he's still saying he will fund them "when there's money available" or something.

"is coming for sure"? DRL to Sheppard? Hudak will obviously promise lots of subways, but will they actually get funding and proceed and actually start construction? My concern is he will show a map full of subways and then 5 years later he's still saying he will fund them "when there's money available" or something.

When the money is available. So, never. Let's remember the track record of the Ontario PCs on transit in the last 25-30 years. Eglinton West subway anyone?

Yup, no different than Ford's subway map he showed in 2010, extending Sheppard east to Scarb - in time for the Pan Am games no less. Meanwhile 4 years later we don't even know if Scarb will get a subway or LRT, much less the fate of Sheppard. Hopefully the general public has learned their lesson.

Sheppard East Subway comes back
Eglinton to the airport
DRL to Sheppard and Weston

That will be it. All LRTs = gone.

All transit = gone,

Nothing that is not already under construction is going to get built, the only thing that is going to come back on Sheppard is empty vote grabbing plans for a subway, a decade from now we will be lucky to have anything more than the underground section of Eglinton.

Yup, no different than Ford's subway map he showed in 2010, extending Sheppard east to Scarb - in time for the Pan Am games no less. Meanwhile 4 years later we don't even know if Scarb will get a subway or LRT, much less the fate of Sheppard. Hopefully the general public has learned their lesson.

Also someone said subways can be built in 4 years? It takes 8-10 years of construction usually.

Spadina extension 2008-2016/2017: 8-9 years.
Sheppard line: 1994-2002: 8 years.

That doesn't count the 2-4 years of design & public meetings and EAs.

Canada did better than other G7 nations for 2 reasons:

1) Our strong banking laws (which prior to 2008 Harper wanted to repeal, by the way) which prohibited over-leveraging and other bad habits that got the US system so in trouble. They allowed our banks to stay solvent while so many others were going belly up.

2) Resources, specifically Alberta oil.

Ontario didn't have a strong resource-based economy to prop it up through the recession, and manufacturing kept hemorrhaging jobs, just as it had since the 90s.

Coincidentally, we stopped hemorrhaging jobs when the PC's were elected in 1995.

The Ontario recession of the 1990's appeared to last the entire 5 years of NDP rule, while for other parts of the country it was a 1 or 2 year ordeal. Same thing with the current recession - many other areas got out of recession years ago but Ontario is struggling massively due to the choices it made leading up to the recession and since.

All transit = gone,

Nothing that is not already under construction is going to get built, the only thing that is going to come back on Sheppard is empty vote grabbing plans for a subway, a decade from now we will be lucky to have anything more than the underground section of Eglinton.

Let's be honest. We are at a crisis point in the GTHA. We have the worse commute in the world. Not Ontario. Not Canada. The world. Worse then Paris, Tokyo and New York City. It's not 1995 where gas was at an all time low and people could drive for nothing. Hudak will face a lot of angry people in 2018 if there is not at least significant construction on something palatable. Hudak will come out with a map full of subways and I expect Eglinton to be a subway and Sheppard East to be built at a minimum. All the LRT's will be canceled to get this done. GO Service will either stay the same or expand, angry commuters.

Also someone said subways can be built in 4 years? It takes 8-10 years of construction usually.

Depends. All those were tunnel bore. But and Cover can make it 4 years. Which is what should happen. The people in Northwest Scarborough should feel it if they want the subway so bad.

Again, hopefully the public understands that now given what's happened in TO under Ford c With that said though I don't think Hudak will make inroads with the 416, so promising subways probably won't do him any good anyway. The Liberals at least have a plan for all day GO/EMUs to appease the 905...Hudak probably thinks we need better ways for people to drive. It'll be interesting to see how the 905 battleground plays out.

With that said, for those that are die hard Tories, fine I can see why they'll vote PC, but what pains me is the many seats the NDP will win a good chunk of seats even though they have no chance for winning a majority. Plus what exactly is Horvath's plan for transit not just for TO, but the GTA? Other than saying that corporate taxes should play for it?

Let's be honest. We are at a crisis point in the GTHA. We have the worse commute in the world. Not Ontario. Not Canada. The world. Worse then Paris, Tokyo and New York City. It's not 1995 where gas was at an all time low and people could drive for nothing. Hudak will face a lot of angry people in 2018 if there is not at least significant construction on something palatable. Hudak will come out with a map full of subways and I expect Eglinton to be a subway and Sheppard East to be built at a minimum. All the LRT's will be canceled to get this done. GO Service will either stay the same or expand, angry commuters.

Depends. All those were tunnel bore. But and Cover can make it 4 years. Which is what should happen. The people in Northwest Scarborough should feel it if they want the subway so bad.

No offence Den, but I honestly think you are projecting your wishes onto Hudak.

You claim he will build Eglinton as a subway from the airport to Kennedy? DRL to Fairview mall? Please show us where Hudak is promising these specific subways which are much longer than any subway that has been promised before.

Canada Line Vancouver: Construction began in October 2005 and was completed in August 2009. 4 years.

Evergreen Line Vancouver: On October 4, 2012, SNC-Lavalin was chosen as the primary contractor. The Evergreen Line is scheduled to open in summer 2016. 4 years.

No offence Den, but I honestly think you are projecting your wishes onto Hudak.

You claim he will build Eglinton as a subway from the airport to Kennedy? DRL to Fairview mall? Please show us where Hudak is promising these specific subways which are much longer than any subway that has been promised before.
No offense taken I like debate :). I should clarify and say that's what I think he will do. I think this because he realizes doing nothing is not an option, and he will have to spend, not too much but some, to alleviate the commute.

Canada Line Vancouver: Construction began in October 2005 and was completed in August 2009. 4 years.

Evergreen Line Vancouver: On October 4, 2012, SNC-Lavalin was chosen as the primary contractor. The Evergreen Line is scheduled to open in summer 2016. 4 years.
Yup it's a Toronto thing.

Great! I can't wait to ride the DRL in 4 years then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back