News   Sep 16, 2024
 299     0 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 867     1 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 573     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I'm willing to wait and see how this develops, as our current approaches clearly aren't working either in Ontario or BC. But this just smells like something they scrambled to put together in advance of the election to say they're doing something, rather than something they thought out over the three years this guy has been Premier (or seven years he's been in Cabinet).

I don't get this demand that temporary workers should now expect to be given PR status.

If I go to, for example Thailand and want to work for a year teaching English, I need a work VISA and employer sponsor. Once that VISA expires, of course I expect to either renew it or leave the country. I would have no rights or expectations that Thailand grant me PR status because I've been employed there as a temporary foreign worker. IMO, these workers in Canada just don't want to go home so are making a fuss so they can overstay their welcome.

We have it good here in Canada - and if after a taste as a TFW you want to join us permanently, go home and apply like every other potential immigrant.

Last edited:
IMO, some of the commitments I want to see from Trudeau's replacement as PM do are as follows:
  1. Federal Public Service reduction of employees per population to 2015 levels.
  2. Meet NATO commitment of defence spending 2% GDP. Get us into AUKUS and more involved in Pacific defence and countering China.
  3. Reform immigration:
    • Throttle back immigration until housing starts exceed demand and employment is at or below the US rate. Currently Canada's is 6.6% while the US rate is 4.2%.
    • Cancel the TFW program for all but seasonal work (such as agriculture) to drive employment opportunities and increase wages for Canadians.
    • Cancel any route to PR for TFW or International Students unless there is a strategic need for their credentials and/or skills (for example, nurses)
    • Cancel family reunification beyond immediate family. We want you and your kids, not your sickly uncles and grandparents.
  4. Commit to a constitutional amendment guaranteeing a right to housing for all Canadians.
    • Then work with provinces to a plan to eliminate homelessness.
    • Address the needs (through the provinces) of the mentally ill and addicted (w/r to supportive housing)
  5. Balance the budget by 2030:
    • With real, independently audited goalposts every year until then.
    • Any new program must be funded by either revenue growth or spending cuts.
  6. Crime and Punishment
    • Increase penalties and reduce bail and early release for violent crime.
    • Deport any non-citizens found guilty of violent crime, also auto theft, drugs, etc.
    • Reduce sentences for non-violent crimes. Fill the jails with the really rotten apples.
  7. Increase revenue to help pay for the above:
    • Close loopholes that the wealthy use to avoid taxes.​
    • Return the GST to its original 7%. This will help to pay for some of the above.​
    • Enact a carbon tariff on any import outside of CUSMA from nations that are high polluters (China, India, Brazil, etc).​

Last edited:

Back