1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Heathrow seafood bar is expensive - and it is a chain, too. The owners are cashing in on the fact that airports cater to the fantasy lives of travellers - people have their sanctioned moments-of-madness to get them in the mood for anticipated foreign adventures.

You can certainly get much better salmon, for instance, in Toronto: Kristapsons, who smoke it for several local restaurants, sell a whole side for $55. Best to reserve.

Oooh. I get smoked salmon from family friends, members of the Coast Salish nation on Vancouver Island. They catch it and smoke it themselves. It's absolutely incredible.

I agree - great improvement. However, where's all the retail?

You realise the pier is not officially opened yet, right?

You can see in the hammerhead the white hoarding where (one would assume) the retail should go. Similar to that of the other piers.

I try not to eat at airports. I'd rather fast until my designation...

It takes 15 minutes to walk to the end of the Hammerhead, is that correct?

once you get through security, it shouldn't take more than 6 or 7 minutes...

...and it shouldn't even take that long: the Hammerhead will handle international flights, and will have a separate passenger flow from the pier itself which will handle transboroder flights. To accomplish that, international travelers will cross the length of the pier on highspeed moving walkways on the top level of the pier. Those walkways were not finished at the time of the last trial, but we can assume that they will be a feature of the January 13th trials. I am keen to give them a spin.

The reason to keep the transborder and international passengers separated of course is that the transborder passengers in the pier will have already cleared US Customs and Immigration. Depending on varying demand for US or overseas flights, the end of the pier and adjoining section section of the hammerhead can be switched from one section to another with the repositioning of heavy doors. It's all quite intricate and impressive. GTAA officials will tell you that this is the most complex terminal in the world, as it is the largest in this country to have to deal with the separation of three streams: domestic, transborder, and international. Canada is the only country in the world that has airports with the US pre-cleared transborder flights, although I wouldn't be surprised if the same system was not extended to some other countries in the future.

I too want to see those walkways in action on the 13th...I can't figure out how you can make a single connected walkway run faster in the middle and slower at the ends...

and of those, only the Bahamas is a country. Bermuda and Aruba are colonies.

Canada is the only country in the world that has airports with the US pre-cleared transborder flights

... other than Bahamas, Bermuda, and Aruba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back