News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terminal 1

yyzer, I am hoping your friend in the apron tower can give us some pics after tomorrows opening of pier F to complete the collection. I am always looking forward to those updates.

A bit of a walk doesn't bother me, especially through such a lovely building, but surely you agree that for a person who's in there every week, it becomes a little frustrating. The goal of most airports is to make the distance from the entrance to the gate as short as possible. It's just more efficient.

Well, what regional flights are you talking about? The walk to the gates where the T1 flights to Ontario destinations leave from isn't that bad at all: through the security gate, right around the corner, and down the stairs.

(The march out to the end of the longer pier is a different matter.)

In a different decade, those gates were located at the very far north end of T2, the part that was demolished years ago for Pier F. Now THAT was a schlep.

All that said, I heard about an airport concept that was specifically designed to reduce walking times to the gates; maybe that's what we need for Pearson. The idea was to make the terminal circular, with the gates around the outside and passenger processing facilities and parking garage in the centre...

All that said, I heard about an airport concept that was specifically designed to reduce walking times to the gates; maybe that's what we need for Pearson. The idea was to make the terminal circular, with the gates around the outside and passenger processing facilities and parking garage in the centre...

That was the original concept of the old Terminal 1.

^ ... and Kansas City and probably many others built around the same time before they needed room for metal detectors, x-rays, etc. Kansas City's airport you could walk curb to gate in seriously 10-20 steps... but the model is completely inefficient with the new security regulations because every gate requires its own checkpoint. The terminals at Dallas are about as close as you can get to that concept with the new security plus customs. Toronto's design is cost efficient in terms of ongoing costs... everyone gets steered into one customs area, there is only a few security checkpoints, there is one baggage hall (a really big one), and a large number of the gates are swing gates making them more useful.

Heathrow has a security checkpoint at every gate, in addition to the regular checkpoint. I always thought it was a bit excessive. I also don't care for their method of corralling everyone in a shopping mall with too few seats until the moment of departure.

Heathrow has a security checkpoint at every gate, in addition to the regular checkpoint. I always thought it was a bit excessive. I also don't care for their method of corralling everyone in a shopping mall with too few seats until the moment of departure.

Should have flown BA. I never got to enjoy the shopping mall experience that I heard so much about departing from Terminal 4. :p

Then again, I feel like I got cheated when I ended up in the secondary terminal at LAS during my Southwest US trip a few years ago - I so wanted to take off/arrive in a terminal full of activity and slot machines.

^ You wouldn't know it, but there actually IS a bank of slot machines in the little secondary terminal in Las Vegas. They're off to one side, kind of tucked away behind a partition, so you only notice them if you walk towards the far end of the terminal.

(I only discovered them when I was stuck in the terminal for an hour before departure; I didn't notice them when I first deplaned there.)

Even so, it's just not quite the same when they're not in your face...

Here's Pearson's official 2006 results, published today....

2006 year end statistics for Toronto Pearson
TORONTO, Feb. 2 /CNW/ - The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA)
announced its year end statistics for 2006 today and is pleased to see an
increase in all sectors of passenger traffic and an increase in cargo volume.

Total number of passengers 2006: 30.9 million

Passengers travelling within Canada (domestic): 13.5 million
Passengers travelling to or from the United States (transborder):
8.9 million
Passengers travelling outside of Canada or the U.S. (international):
8.5 million

These passenger numbers represent increases of 4.3% for domestic travel,
1.4% for transborder travel and 4.6% for international travel. Compared to
2005, the total increase for 2006 is 3.5%.
Toronto Pearson saw a total of 418,000 aircraft movements in 2006, an
increase of 2.1% over 2005 numbers.
Finally, 505,000 tonnes of air cargo was moved through Toronto Pearson in
2006, an increase of 6.3% over 2005.
According to Lloyd McCoomb, President and CEO of the GTAA, "these
increases across all segments of our operations show that we made the right
choice in redeveloping Toronto Pearson. We now have the facilities to meet the
demands of passengers and airlines and we are looking forward to continuing to
serve as the North American airport of choice."
The GTAA is the non-share, not-for-profit authority that operates Toronto
Pearson. All revenue generated by the GTAA is reinvested back into the
airport.

When do they anticpate that Pearson will reach it's maximum capacity with the new airport facilities? I don't know much about this but surely it will be many decades before that is achieved. Atlanta has something like 70-80 million passengers, yet the city only has one airport. It just seems to me that contemplation of a second airport is very premature.

Atlanta's airport is HUGE. Absolutely enormous. Something like 7-8 T2-sized concourses. If Pearson had the space for that, there would be no need for a second airport.

At 38 million passengers they need Pier G which is similar in size to Pier E and that is expected to start construction sometime between 2011 and 2015. At full buildout the new terminal with Pier G, Pier H (almost the same size as Pier F), replacement for Pier C which will probably be called D (same size as Pier E and about the same size as the current Pier C), replacement for Pier B which will probably be called Pier C (the size of Pier H which is much larger than the current Pier B that it would replace), sattellite B (current A), and possibly another sattelite, will have plenty of space for passengers, probably enough space to last past 2050. What will hit capacity first is likely the airfield which has space for only one more runway which means that the airlines will be under pressure to get rid of smaller commuter aircraft in favour of less frequency with larger aircraft. There are airports that handle far more passengers with one or two runways but those airports handle large airliners almost exclusively whereas Toronto's airfield is packed with little aircraft going to Sudbury, London, Hartford, Raleigh, etc. Lack of runway would really put pressure on the feeder operations of Air Canada's hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back