974     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 658     0 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dump or not, I can understand the urge to sentimentalize (albeit not so far as to save) Terminal 2; a sort of That 70s Terminal impulse, plus "we were there; we used it; we greeted relatives there" etc etc. Airports are like that.

So, Sunday 10 to 6. I'll be there. And will say goodbye to Terminal 2.

Be there or be square! Anyone else planning to go and make it a mini-meet?

spm, I am planning on going sometime on Sunday, but can't confirm when, have to work part of the day.....btw, there was a "media event" today, I guess the reporters were there; they just showed a news report on CFTO, it looked pretty good. They showed the Richard Serra artwork and mentioned it by name, also there are other works of art, there seemed to be some animal sculptures?

from the mississauga news:

Airport unveils new pier

John Stewart
Nov 30, 2006

It's 84,500 sq. m. in size, includes a high-speed people-mover system and provides 25 gates for international travel, but the new Pier F unveiled yesterday at Pearson International Airport (PIA) has a surprising sense of intimacy about it.
"Airports are intimidating places and most people associate airports with stress," said architect Moshe Safdie, as the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) conducted a media preview for the new pier that will open to passengers on Jan. 30.

"We've tried to design this so that it is self-oriented," said Safdie, part of a trio of architectural firms, including Port Credit's Adamson Associates, that collaborated on the $2.5-billion re-design of the re-built Terminal 1.

"We've used daylight as a major placefinding mechanism," he added, pointing to the skylights that embellish the huge hammerhead of the Pier, where 13 of the 25 gates will flare out like rays from the sun. "Even today, which is a very grey, cloudy day, there's a real sense of light."

The skylights provide a sort of overhead guidance system to identify the main corridors of the pier.

Safdie, who also designed the Ben-Gurion Airport in Israel, said now that the finishing touches are being put on the eight-year, $4.5-billion reconstruction, the personality of the new airport is beginning to emerge.

"One associates airports with cities," he said. "I think this gives you a sense of the generosity of Toronto and region. There's a clear sense of direction. It has a particular character.

"The development of one major terminal to replace a lot of smaller pieces makes it very cohesive," he added. "The sun has been brought right into the building. It's large, but it's intimate."

As he spoke, Safdie stood in front of a gigantic sculpture that dominates the foyer of the hammerhead, and symbolizes how public art, and aesthetics in general, have been considered along with the functionality of the new building.

Called Tilted Spheres, the sculpture by acclaimed international artist Richard Serra was praised by Safdie for the sense of geometry and motion it creates.

John Kaldeway, the retiring president and CEO of the GTAA, reflected on how things have changed since he started working at the airport 18 years ago. At that time, he could look out his office window and see frustrated drivers park their cars on the grass outside the "shabby" and congested Terminal 1 and rush to catch their planes.

The re-development project has managed to re-build 75 per cent of Pearson without any interruptions in service, noted Kaldeway.

Now serving nearly 30 million passengers each year, the airport can grow to 50 million with the new design, created with such expansion in mind.

The two construction companies that collaborated on the huge project, PCL and Aecon, are both located in Mississauga.

"I was the first construction guy on the site," recalled Bob Scott, senior superintendent of Aecon. "This has been a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week project for seven years," he told reporters. "We had 2,200 people working here in stage 1 and this was the biggest job underway in North America at one time."

Coordinating construction schedules while not interfering with airport operations was a gargantuan challenge, said PCL spokesperson Chris Webber.

The public can preview Pier F this Sunday from 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. when tours will be conducted. Free parking is available at the GTAA, at 6135 Airport Rd.

I saw the CBC newscast of it that showed 3 or 4 of the art pieces to all its 7 viewers. Made it look real good. There was the Tilted Spheres, and some others.

From the Post:

Is it a terminal or a cathedral?
Sunlight, open spaces and high arches define Pier F
Tilted Spheres by Richard Serra is so big it had to be installed first, then had the Pier F section of Terminal 1 built around it.

Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
Published: Friday, December 01, 2006

Pier F at Terminal 1, which cost $800-million, is a rather large addition to Toronto Pearson International Airport: To sustain reporters at a preview yesterday, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority fed us breakfast at one end and lunch at the other.

In between, we rode on new people-movers and heard about new "high-speed" people-movers under construction (if you walk on them you can reach three metres/second) and heard architect Moshe Safdie wax poetic about the design of the new terminal.

"Airports are rather intimidating places," said the Canadian-trained, Massachusetts-based Mr. Safdie, dressed in a white shirt with Nehru collar. "These days one associates airports with stress. We've used daylight as a place-finding device. This airport is calming and serene, with a generosity of space."

Give these guys their due: yes, at $4.5-billion (up $100-million from last month's figure) the new Pearson is the most expensive project in our nation's history (the Confederation Bridge to Prince Edward Island, for example, cost $1-billion).

Still, that kind of cash buys quite the cathedral of transportation, with soaring steel arches 60 metres in span, mammoth windows and huge expanses of white Italian granite.

The new pier we saw yesterday juts out from Terminal 1 into what airport wonks call the "apron"; passengers will walk the pier to international and U.S.-bound jets (assuming the work is done) beginning Feb. 1.

After that, the GTAA plans to demolish Terminal 2.

Airport officials spent years on 3-D models to ensure three streams of travelers -- domestic, U.S.-bound and international --can flow through Pier F without mixing. Those departing walk on the ground floor, whereas arrivals use overhead walkways.

"Lineups are never pleasant, but this airport allows us to do it gracefully and not treat passengers like cattle in a pen," says Mr. Safdie. "We have brought the sunlight into the baggage-claim area."

We also got the first peek at the $1.5-million Tilted Spheres by U.S. sculptor Richard Serra, four semi-circles of steel standing grandly in the middle of the "hammerhead" at the end of Pier F. The statue, which passengers can walk through, looks like a fun place for kids to play hide-and-seek while waiting for a flight. It is so big the builders had to put it in first and build the terminal around it.

All of this costs cash, and Pearson, whose build-out is now complete, has ended up with the highest airport landing fees on Earth.

But asked about that dubious distinction yesterday, Lloyd McCoomb, the GTAA's vice president of planning and development, blew his lid.

He said it is unfair to compare Pearson to U.S. airports, since the landing fees at Pearson include many costs other airports bill separately.

"I'm sure Phoenix has a huge snow-clearing bill," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "Here in Toronto you gotta be ready for the big one.

"Yeah, we gotta compete against Buffalo. Here the government imposes this rent on us. In Buffalo, Uncle Sam is handing them buckets of money.

"It's frustrating," he said. "You've got me on my soapbox, now listen to me!

"We provide electronic check-in. We supply the counters to the airlines. Even in Vancouver, you rent the counters. Here you're going to get a wheelchair. At other airports the airlines have to rent them.

"We just want to be treated fairly," Mr. McCoomb said. "That one-liner [highest landing fees on Earth] is worn out. Come on, guys."

OK, OK. Nice work, guys. Great airport. The Union Station of the air. Very swank, and with any luck we'll get enough travelers through the place to pay off the debt.

pkuitenbrouwer@nationalpost.com

© National Post 2006

AoD

Pre 9/11 the plan was to tear down Terminal 2 in stages while building Pier G in increments. Now the plan is to just tear down Terminal 2 during the summer of 2007. I wonder how long it will take traffic at the airport to build until we hear that Pier G is going ahead? On last night's CFTO report they mentioned that two more piers can be built (at the south end) but said there were no plans as to when that will happen.

The reason I am most interested is that until Pier H, that's right H, is built with new permanent facilities to handle the Air Canada Jazz flights that take off from the outlier terminal at the east end of the site, I am under the impression that that dinky little terminal with its long bus ride connections will be staying put. Yeuch.

I don't really care about when Pier G goes ahead, since it is essentially just a copy of pier E. There's nothing that interesting about it. Pier F, the hammerhead, is pretty exciting. It looks like Pier H will be quite different as well. According to the design, Pier H will curve. More visually interesting.

Yeah, but you don't get H without G, so G interests me that way.

G! G! G!

I gotta say I find those pics underwhelming; I'm not quite sure I understand all the adulation.

The place has a much more expansive feel in person than neuroticjose's pictures often suggest. He has made liberal use of his zoom lens, and going telephoto compresses space. Go for a visit on Sunday and you'll see what I mean...

Looking at the terminal master plan, pier H doesn't look all that interesting either. I just look forward to the day Terminal 2 is demolished. I wonder when Pier G and H will be done? How much capacity are they gonna have with just Piers A, B and C from Terminal 3 and D, E and F from Terminal 1? Doesn't really sound like a lot. And in the master plan it said that only half of Pier F would be in use due to demolition on the other side.

Went to the open house today, here are a few pics...

Initial impressions: very large, very sleek....same high ceilings as in the main terminal, same overall white colour scheme, but this is a very big pier, folks.

At the tip of the "hammerhead" there is some artwork...here is the Richard Serra...one thing we noticed, when standing amid the metal, there is a pronounced echo when you talk..quite interesting, lots of younger kids were trying it out, clapping, etc....

pierf01.jpg

pierf02.jpg

pierf08.jpg

At opposite ends of the hammerhead are two separate sculptures...here is one...

pierf04.jpg

and the other....

pierf06.jpg

this is overhead, at the entrance to the pier...

pierf11.jpg

pierf07.jpg

pierf03.jpg

for Future Mayor...that's Mississauga in the background...

pierf10.jpg

My photos from open house...

P1050682.jpg

Unused part of the departure hall

P1050685.jpg

P1050687.jpg

P1050690.jpg

P1050691.jpg

P1050692.jpg

P1050693.jpg

P1050694.jpg

P1050695.jpg

P1050696.jpg

P1050698.jpg

P1050699.jpg

P1050700.jpg

A nice touch of the past, in my opinion, these analog clocks

P1050701.jpg

P1050702.jpg

P1050703.jpg

P1050704.jpg

Fire doors which can be used to block off the Hammerhead from the rest of the terminal, or vice versa.

P1050705.jpg

Back side of the Hammerhead

P1050707.jpg

Stairs and escalators at Hammerhead connecting departure and arrival levels

P1050708.jpg

P1050709.jpg

P1050715.jpg

P1050713.jpg

This plaque is located in the centre of the art piece. Stand here to get the best sound effects. Stomp your feet, clap your hands or make any other sound and the echoes come back to you.

P1050710.jpg

P1050712.jpg

P1050714.jpg

P1050716.jpg

Entrance to one of the two-storey gates at the Hammerhead, which could one day serve the A380 double-decker airliner.

P1050717.jpg

P1050718.jpg

P1050719.jpg

Escalators in the two-storey gate

P1050720.jpg

P1050721.jpg

First look at the terminal when you get off the plane at the Hammerhead

P1050722.jpg

P1050723.jpg

P1050725.jpg

P1050727.jpg

P1050728.jpg

P1050730.jpg

P1050731.jpg

Lower floor of a two-storey gate

P1050733.jpg

P1050734.jpg

P1050735.jpg

P1050737.jpg

P1050738.jpg

P1050739.jpg

P1050740.jpg

P1050742.jpg

Gate 173, which is described in GTAA literature as a custom-built gate for the A380

P1050743.jpg

P1050744.jpg

P1050745.jpg

P1050747.jpg

P1050748.jpg

P1050749.jpg

P1050753.jpg

P1050754.jpg

Last days of Terminal 2

P1050755.jpg

P1050757.jpg

P1050759.jpg

Returning to the departure hall

P1050760.jpg

P1050761.jpg

Great pics Wylie and YYZer! Some nice angles and playing around with the Serra piece there Wylie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back