News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 910     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Ontario Liberals and Transit

This ties, directly, back to the BD extension decision.

These people are empowered by the ability to overturn one LRT with a subway and, in particular, by the words of the politicians (all parties all levels of government) at the time. People were told that getting a subway meant Scarborough residents were "no longer second class citizens"......the flip to that is you are second class if you get an LRT......no one wants to be second class so people will fight for a subway over an LRT.

Given that motivation.....don't expect these folks to have a well thought out or analyzed position.....they just want a subway.

I find it funny that the pro-subway people in Sheppard East are those that want a bus-free and LRT-free commute, as well as driving up (no pun intended) real estate value.

The craziest claim on that flyer is that LRT will make "property values go lower".

Right... St Clair homes are sooo cheap now, it's practically Detroit over there.

This is what it's really all about. Some want nothing, some truly want subways, some don't want to see the "others" on LRT, but everyone takes a look at North York and Etobicoke, sees those high home prices and wonders why, that isn't us!?!

Then yell at the politicians and urban planners who let the areas around Warden and Kennedy goto waste!

Same goes for building a paper recycling facility around Midland and Ellesmere rather than condos!

This ties, directly, back to the BD extension decision.

These people are empowered by the ability to overturn one LRT with a subway and, in particular, by the words of the politicians (all parties all levels of government) at the time. People were told that getting a subway meant Scarborough residents were "no longer second class citizens"......the flip to that is you are second class if you get an LRT......no one wants to be second class so people will fight for a subway over an LRT.

Given that motivation.....don't expect these folks to have a well thought out or analyzed position.....they just want a subway.
You are absolutely correct and this is why I was against the BD extension. It sets a bad precedent and you can't build one without the other honestly. It looks bad to have the subway and then the SELRT even thought the SELRT is the better option.
Then yell at the politicians and urban planners who let the areas around Warden and Kennedy go to waste!

Same goes for building a paper recycling facility around Midland and Ellesmere rather than condos!

I will give you this. The Councillors in the are don't want any condo development so what we ended up with is this. I want sheppard, ellesmere and lawrence rezoned if they build the subway.

It seems like a Liberal majority gov't is becoming increasingly likely. That's definitely the way things have been trending. However I'd still bet that if the Liberals are reelected it will be with a minority.

It seems like a Liberal majority gov't is becoming increasingly likely. That's definitely the way things have been trending. However I'd still bet that if the Liberals are reelected it will be with a minority.

With the scandals surrounding the Liberals, this guy Hudak should be running away with the election. But I guess Ontarians aren't buying what he is selling. Telling us that decreasing corporate taxes by 30% is going to create jobs and losing 100,000 jobs is going to lead us to prosperity isn't cutting it. Come up with something else.

Interesting, Abacus had the Libs and Pc tied at 33% a week ago with NDP at 26%

Now they have Libs up by three with 36%, PC stays with 33% and NDP dropping a couple to 24%. Which kind of fits into the story of lefties plugging their nose and voting Liberal to keep Hudak out or just disgusted with NDP pushing for this election.

For the first time this elections I agree almost totally with 308 prediction. It looks like a slight Liberal percentage win.

Thank the Lord Ford Brothers & the Sacred Drizzy, He Who Started From The Bottom (now he's here)

looks like we might be heading for the liberal trifecta. Wynne, Trudeau, Chow (the only thing close to liberal in our mayoral race)

Thank the Lord Ford Brothers & the Sacred Drizzy, He Who Started From The Bottom (now he's here)

Ah yes, good old Drake, who started from the "bottom" of growing up in Forest Hill and acting on Degrassi.

Anyhow, I can't express my pleasure enough at the slow derailment of the PC Party. That's what happens when you don't invest in better transit, you jump the tracks ;)

Am I the only one who is confused by the "Dufferin County GO" thing in the platform? They would have to take the rail line that runs from the Milton line through downtown Brampton to reach Caledon, and it would be pretty low ridership north of Brampton. (it would be a good way to serve Northern Brampton with GO service however)

I also question what condition that rail line is in.

Back