News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Old City Hall Proposals

People that aren't me tend to prefer old-time'y wedding shots, so probably.
Actually according to the Star piece this was in the scope of the past design exercise
1704491963939.png

Plans for Old City Hall adaptive reuse have been around for decades. Here's one from 1955, long predating the original Eaton Centre concept which would have torn it down entirely.

I do hope we're able to get it together on this and do things right.

Old City Hall.jpg

Later Eaton Centre concepts:

20150929-CityHall-Alt-600x413.jpg

20150929-CityHall-Render.jpg

20170211ec1960sdesign.jpg

Attachments

• 20150929-CityHall-Alt-2.jpg
    20150929-CityHall-Alt-2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 11
There must be some local billionaires willing to toss a few crumbs at a worthy cultural project that showcases the very city they've been profiteering from these past few difficult years. (Not singling out any particular individual or individuals, of course.)
Quick - somebody go canvass Drake's house on the Bridle Path!

Quick - somebody go canvass Drake's house on the Bridle Path!

How about the Thomson family? Between David and his sister, they own six houses on the same street in Rosedale; including Integral House.

At least 2, if not 4 are vacant, last I heard.

Last I checked; they are worth at least 46B between the various siblings and other relations within the family trust.

Last edited:
It’s hard to believe how lousy the public realm is around Old City Hall. Montreal’s public realm around its historic landmarks is much better. The public spaces around Quebec’s provincial legislature are better maintained than Queen’s Park as well.

Yes, we need more philanthropists donating to public realm projects. But the government should also be more competitive with Quebec in terms of the maintenance of public spaces in high-profile areas. Ottawa’s National Capital Commission is doing great work nowadays as well in making Ottawa attractive through public realm projects. It really helps the tourism sector and to attract talented people in general.

It’s hard to believe how lousy the public realm is around Old City Hall

That may be because of the fact it was previously a collection of industrial buildings.

Prior to the Eaton Centre the buildings that made up Eatons were all located there. There was also a street called Louisa Street that disappeared which was in the middle of everything.

I am not defending it but there is not really much you can do there.

How about the Thomson family? Between David and his sister, they own six houses on the same street in Rosedale; including Integer House.

At least 2, if not 4 are vacant, last I heard.

Last I checked; they are worth at least 46B between the various siblings and other relations within the family trust.
Integral House, do you mean?

Back