News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Old City Hall Proposals

Technically, he's from North York. I thought maybe you had Justin Di Dunpar in mind, or Grimey, or Mikey Ford...

Right you are; I was thinking generally of the wasteland of councillors basically west of Bailao, more than Etobicoke proper.

Update on Old City hall from Real Estate Budget proposals, January 2019.

 Future Use of Old City Hall – Detailed Design – The 2018 approved funding increase of $2.800 million has provided detailed design development and tendering for a Museum of Toronto, a Toronto Public Library branch and wedding chamber with complementary uses such as public event space and institutional uses.  A Request for Proposal for Head Lessee was issued in the fall of 2018. Submissions are currently being evaluated and a follow-up report will be presented to Council in 2019 with recommendation of the Head Lessee.  The follow-up report will outline terms of agreement including any financial impacts related to capital investments and operating costs and revenues.

The City Hall officials could use the Old City Hall to hold New Year's levees, receptions, key-of-city, swearing-in, and other ceremonies.
…but only if all participants are in period costume put to the early 60s. All contemporarily dressed parties would still be held in the current City Hall, you meant to say.

As per the 2021 Capital Budget submission of the Toronto Public Library (going to the Board on October 19th); this project (relocating City Hall branch to Old City Hall) is currently unfunded.

The three projects are City Hall Relocation and Expansion, Danforth/Coxwell Relocation and Expansion, and the construction phase of the St. Lawrence Relocation and Expansion project totalling $0 gross and debt in 2021 and $19.416 million debt ($65.280 million gross) over 2021-2030. All of these projects involve moving an existing branch to another location and involve other city partners.

As per the 2021 Capital Budget submission of the Toronto Public Library (going to the Board on October 19th); this project (relocating City Hall branch to Old City Hall) is currently unfunded.

The three projects are City Hall Relocation and Expansion, Danforth/Coxwell Relocation and Expansion, and the construction phase of the St. Lawrence Relocation and Expansion project totalling $0 gross and debt in 2021 and $19.416 million debt ($65.280 million gross) over 2021-2030. All of these projects involve moving an existing branch to another location and involve other city partners.
As the Courts move out of Old City Hall to (in part) the new North Market is not happening until late 2022 or 2023 I see no reason why the City Hall branch would (or could) move in 2021. The move of the St Lawrence branch will also be greatly delayed as the Province will be using the First Parliament site *(where it is moving to) as the staging area for the Ontario Line, if they get their way. No point in tying up $$$ if they cannot be spent for, at least, several years.

Last edited:
As the Courts move out of Old City Hall to (in part) the new North Market is not happening until late 2022 or 2023 I see no reason why the City Hall branch would (or could) move in 2021. The move of the St Lawrence branch will also be greatly delayed as the Province will be using the First Parliament site *(where it is moving to) as the staging area for the Ontario Line, if they get their way. No point in tying up $$$ if they cannot be spent for, at least, several years.

The 2021 submission includes the 10-year capital plan.

For clarity, I was noting there zero constructing funding through 2030 for this project along with St. Lawrence and Coxwell/Danforth.

So, silly question now, since I haven't been following this. At all...

...are they planning to turn Ye Ole City Hall into a library?

(It would be kinda cool if they did!)

So, silly question now, since I haven't been following this. At all...

...are they planning to turn Ye Ole City Hall into a library?

(It would be kinda cool if they did!)

Only a portion of it.

While the new library would be significantly larger than the existing one, I don't think it's even contemplated as a 'District' Branch as yet.

Other ideas have been bandied around including a Toronto Museum (no serious proposal at this point) as well as shifting various City administrative jobs into Old City Hall.

Only a portion of it.

While the new library would be significantly larger than the existing one, I don't think it's even contemplated as a 'District' Branch as yet.

Other ideas have been bandied around including a Toronto Museum (no serious proposal at this point) as well as shifting various City administrative jobs into Old City Hall.

If I recall correctly the space plans posted in previous pages envision the library taking 1/2 of the ground floor.

AoD

The completion of the new courthouse has me (and I’m sure many other people) about Old City Hall. So it is time for a thread bump to go over the old proposals for this structure. The newest one is from another forum member that the Ontario Legislature may want to relocate here while Queens Park is renovated to possibly the courtyard. Personally I don’t see a problem in raising money. I most look forward to the conversion of the many double height rooms that had false floors installed in the 1970s.

Back