News   May 10, 2024
 925     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Old City Hall Proposals

If I read the report correctly, $190M is the estimated cost of bringing the building up to the point where you could then build it out into the more exciting uses, and the museum itself would also ; "These are necessary investments regardless of any new tenanting option" is the phrasing used. I'm interested to hear the proposed funding plan, especially in the frame of RDP (if it is to proceed to next stages).

Separately, option 3 begs the Museum of Toronto at about 55K sq. ft.; by way of comparison, the Gardiner holds a little less than 50K sq. ft., so we're looking at a big enough space to do something special. The assumptions chart about space breakdown is interesting, too:

upload_2018-1-17_13-38-16.png

One nice-to-have of mine would be an accurate, up-to-date, and continuously updated scale model of the city (the one in City Hall is super out-of-date and kind of falling apart, but nonetheless always attracts folks who wander into the lobby). There's a really amazing one in the Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Center:

Shanghai_2020_-_Urban_Planning_Exhibition_Center_-_01.JPG

source

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_13-38-16.png
    upload_2018-1-17_13-38-16.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 615
I can't help but feel pessimistic about the City of Toronto museum. How do we know it won't turn into an Olympic Spirit Museum 2.0?

I can't help but feel pessimistic about the City of Toronto museum. How do we know it won't turn into an Olympic Spirit Museum 2.0?

No guarantees - but a city museum is a totally different creature from a niche "exploratorium" like Olympic Spirit. You can count on tourists and school kids showing up for one.

AoD

One nice-to-have of mine would be an accurate, up-to-date, and continuously updated scale model of the city (the one in City Hall is super out-of-date and kind of falling apart, but nonetheless always attracts folks who wander into the lobby).

And @steveve should built it!
Here is a revised massing model of 'The One'. I actually prefer the revised footprint of the tower as its slenderness will make it stand out even more on the skyline in a less obtrusive way. Let this be our Nordstrom Tower or 432 Park.

17289046593_a10bc3b77d_b.jpg

Saw someone propose a great idea related to this yesterday: permanently close Albert St. to traffic and pedestrianize and beautify it. There doesn't appear to be any servicing happening off Albert (once the courts are closed here), and it'd be a great opportunity to animate the other side of this building and create the first pedestrian-friendly gateway to NPS and facilitate foot traffic therebetween.

Council today voted 35-3 in favour of moving forward the museum. Staff are slated to report back in mid-2019 with revised plans and costing.

Etobicoke’s second-worst councillor, predictably, was one of the three who voted against and provided us with this reminder of how narrow minded and unimpressive he is:

“Ask yourself how many people would pay $16 to go in and look at the artifacts that we’ve got? . . . It’s going to bleed money.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...et-to-become-home-to-a-museum-of-toronto.html

Council today voted 35-3 in favour of moving forward the museum. Staff are slated to report back in mid-2019 with revised plans and costing.

Etobicoke’s second-worst councillor, predictably, was one of the three who voted against and provided us with this reminder of how narrow minded and unimpressive he is:

“Ask yourself how many people would pay $16 to go in and look at the artifacts that we’ve got? . . . It’s going to bleed money.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...et-to-become-home-to-a-museum-of-toronto.html

Etobicoke’s second-worst councillor? Who's the worst? Ranking Etobicoke's six councillors from "best" to worst is a tough exercise.

Back