News   Jul 26, 2024
 828     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

They definitely handled it differently. I just wanted to point out allergies existed. They didn’t just magically appear.

Funny that studies are now showing that allergy bans are probably not useful and counterproductive.
Show these studies. As a parent of a peanut-allergic child who's been wearing an epipen on her every day since Jr. Kindergarten, you'd think I'd have heard about those.

Tell that to the people I knew who grew up in the 59s and 60s with anaphylactic peanut reactions. Fortunately they lived to tell the tale thanks to strict no sharing rules, although there were some
Visits to the ER.
Exactly. It's funny that the same people who treat schools like sticky-fingered unwashed bioincubators, tend to be the same ones who shrug off a child with anaphylactic reactions having to sit next to six other kids eating PB&Js. Your kid doesn't like anything but Peanut Butter? Maybe the problem is *you*.

It's not clear from the article what level of allergic reaction they're talking about. If we're talking anaphylactic reactions (as peanuts, nuts, shellfish, etc. almost always are), a ban is indeed warranted. Sadly, the food allergen waters have been muddied by overreactive parents who treat sensitives with as much weight as full on anaphylactic reaction. Combine that with idiot adults in general who think "allergy" is a code-word for "I don't like". It ends up that people take allergens less seriously in the abstract, and overreact in the actual. When I worked in restaurants, you wouldn't believe the number of "allergies" that were claimed, only for the claimant to turn around and knowingly order a dish—against a server's objection—with the same ingredient in it. People will often say what advantages them most, if they can get away with it. Your kid won't eat anything but peanut butter, then you teach that kid to like sunbutter, or wowbutter, or soybutter, etc.

""They feel stigmatized, they can't eat with their friends, it has led to bullying, and that's something that has to be addressed," she said."

At least in the TDSB (and as far as I know, all Ontario), kids with allergies aren't forced to eat alone. They aren't given that stigmatization, thankfully. My daughter's playmates understand why they aren't allowed certain foods, and no-one blinks an eye about it. It's almost always parents who are the problem.

I agree, I was hoping they would have a link to the actual report. I also agree that too many people use the allergy excuse, and as someone with family members who have life-threatening reactions, this isn't helpful.

Ontario is reporting 1,039 cases of #COVID19 today and 1,446 cases reported yesterday.

It will be interesting to see if (or how much) the figures go up by week's end and the Victoria Day partying gets factored in.

Well......

Tell that to the people I knew who grew up in the 50s and 60s with anaphylactic peanut reactions. Fortunately they lived to tell the tale thanks to strict no sharing rules, although there were some visits to the ER.

I agree, but there has to be some kind of societal/medical/dietary thing going that I don't understand. I went to school from the mid-'50s to late-60's and don't recall a single kid keeling over or swelling up in the cafeteria and don't recall a single peer who professed an allergy (ok, maybe peas or broccoli) . In more recent decades, the number of people with serious allergies seems to have exploded.

Back