News   Jun 14, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 790     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ive-canada-cant-beat-the-pandemic-by-passing/

From the article mentions examples of how governments at all levels are complicit of passing-the-buck and political opportunism.

Specific to our conversation Ford’s quote “It’s easy for people to say just shut everything down when they’re guaranteed a paycheque every week,” is a window into his thinking.

I’m suggesting Ford is now walking back from the position he deems “balanced” because he has a disproportionate bias towards the concerns of business owners. The reality is the experts told us from the beginning this was going to be a multi-wave event and that we would need to open and close accordingly.

While periodically shutting small businesses is the right decision and must happen for the greater good I feel some here don’t appreciate the gravity of what ultimately that means.

It’s not asking some small business owners to forgo income like workers, it’s analogous to the state asking you to forgo income, seize your home and life-savings, and rip up your degrees and vocational credentials so you can’t practice in your field without starting over.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ive-canada-cant-beat-the-pandemic-by-passing/

From the article mentions examples of how governments at all levels are complicit of passing-the-buck and political opportunism.

Specific to our conversation Ford’s quote “It’s easy for people to say just shut everything down when they’re guaranteed a paycheque every week,” is a window into his thinking.

I’m suggesting Ford is now walking back from the position he deems “balanced” because he has a disproportionate bias towards the concerns of business owners. The reality is the experts told us from the beginning this was going to be a multi-wave event and that we would need to open and close accordingly.

While periodically shutting small businesses is the right decision and must happen for the greater good I feel some here don’t appreciate the gravity of what ultimately that means.

It’s not asking some small business owners to forgo income like workers, it’s analogous to the state asking you to forgo income, seize your home and life-savings, and rip up your degrees and vocational credentials so you can’t practice in your field without starting over.

Interesting that "Goldfinger" looks a lot like a certain Premier.

“It’s easy for people to say just shut everything down when they’re guaranteed a paycheque every week,”
goldfinger-i-expect-you-to-die.jpg

From link.

Experts also gave him a set of guideline and benchmarks that he rewrote to a much higher threshold and presented as "expert opinion", only to have to walk back within 2 weeks. That's willfully misdealing his citizens. We wasted further time, resources and almost certainly allowed more deaths as a result. In the end you still have to close these small businesses. That's a lose-lose. It's also the sign of someone who believe that we are somehow "exceptional" - guess what, we aren't - and he lost the gamble.

Also you kept on talking about small businesses - this government is sitting on a federal pot of funding -did it provide support so that we can do what must be done on the health front? Making errors back in March/April is understandable; making errors now is unforgivable.

AoD

Last edited:
440 are in both Toronto and Peel Region! Remember that Peel Region has HALF the population of Toronto.
And even more dramatic, look at Peel PH's interactive map, and the intensity of infection is overwhelmingly in Brampton and NE Mississauga., which is only half of Peel's population.

And even more dramatic, look at Peel PH's interactive map, and the intensity of infection is overwhelmingly in Brampton and NE Mississauga., which is only half of Peel's population.

Today's (2020 11 14) numbers: Health Minister Christine Elliott says there are 497 cases in Peel Region, 456 in Toronto, 130 in York Region and 77 in Ottawa.

This Globe and Mail journo has done a very comprehensive report on the second waver here in Vic. I'm a bit perturbed by more than a handful of commenters on the article that can't seem to grasp the concept that the lockdown restrictions all happened in late autumn (i.e the same season you're in now). i.e. it doesnt matter how hot or cold things are, whether there's rain, snow or sleet - the colder periods (or those leading into colder periods) drive people indoors and increase infection risk. Anyhow.

We've just gone a full incubation period of this virus with no new cases or deaths in Vic - today's results just come out and it's 16 days of double donuts now. All the states and territories, excluding Western Australia, are opening their borders by Dec 1. The whole country hasnt had a community transmission case in 7 days (as of Saturday AU time) (there are still cases popping up in Hotel quarantine as AU citizens/perm residents continue to come home).

The impact of a new Covid vaccine will kick in significantly over summer and life should be back to normal by next winter, one of its creators has said.

Prof Ugur Sahin, BioNTech co-founder, also raised hopes the jab could halve transmission of the virus, resulting in a "dramatic reduction in cases".

Last week, BioNTech and co-developers Pfizer said preliminary analysis showed their vaccine could prevent more than 90% of people from getting Covid-19.

About 43,000 people took part in tests.
In an interview on BBC One's Andrew Marr Show, Prof Sahin said he expected further analysis to show the vaccine would reduce transmission between people as well as stop symptoms developing in someone who has had the vaccine.

"I'm very confident that transmission between people will be reduced by such a highly effective vaccine - maybe not 90% but maybe 50% - but we should not forget that even that could result in a dramatic reduction of the pandemic spread," he said.

The UK is expected to get 10 million doses of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine by the end of the year, with a further 30 million doses already ordered. The jab, which was trialled in six countries, is given in two doses, three weeks apart.

Older residents and staff in care homes are likely to be prioritised, followed by health workers and the over-80s. People would then be ranked by age.

With deaths predictably rising now in Ontario along with the greater case count it’s worth revisiting a thought I suggested earlier in that if deaths in the second wave can be kept to half the rate of the first wave (say 1500) we are making good progress. The greater number of cases in the second wave was entirely predictable and purposeful because of the allowance for a more open environment and greater testing capacity.

A strong result would be half-ing the number of deaths each wave. We’ll see if we can do so and if this second wave ever really retreats (it may not).

At the point the number of deaths per wave declines to a number in the hundreds the pandemic will be declared over. That would be the point where covid-19 becomes background noise like other commonly circulating respiratory viruses. Perhaps an annual flu-Covid-19 shot could be developed that maybe 40% of the population bothers getting

With deaths predictably rising now in Ontario along with the greater case count it’s worth revisiting a thought I suggested earlier in that if deaths in the second wave can be kept to half the rate of the first wave (say 1500) we are making good progress. The greater number of cases in the second wave was entirely predictable and purposeful because of the allowance for a more open environment and greater testing capacity.

The number of cases and deaths have increased due to the deliberate and ill-advised choices of the Ontario government, which is more concerned about businesses than about the citizens of this province. As for the number of tests, it was similar in late September, when the positivity rate ranged from about 1% to 1.5%.

Hundreds of vaccination centers will be created across Germany to administer the new coronavirus vaccine, according to a media report. The distribution of millions of doses is likely to present a huge challenge.

German states plan to set up hundreds of vaccination centers across the country starting in December, the newspaper Welt am Sonntag reported on Sunday.

It said the health ministers of the 16 federal states have drawn up plans to create one to two centers per administrative district — totaling hundreds of centers — as well as employing mobile vaccination teams.

The capital, Berlin, alone is allegedly planning to set up six such centers, Welt am Sonntag said.

Large exhibition halls, mostly out of use since the beginning of the pandemic, are being discussed as potential spaces to house some centers.

Back