News   Jun 25, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It's pretty clear they were trying to do nothing after the 1st lockdown (especially anything that is bad news/affect their already COVID-skeptical base), dump all the responsibilities on the health regions while hoarding cash from the Feds. One look at the fine details in that colour coded scheme and it is evident that it made no sense other than being for show - and guess that expose showed just what happened.

(Un)fortunately the virus don't care about political scheming and posturing. Put up BS policies, and it will show that your policies are BS - like it is doing now.

Would you like some fries with that?

AoD

I'm sure Doug will just dismiss reports like this in the Star as a biased agenda perpetrated by left-wing kooks.

This whole situation is likely a result of pandemic fatigue coupled with shell shock.

I am as worried as the next person but cases just keep going up and up despite "attempts" to do something about the situation be it information or actual measures. As a result of this, I am starting to go back to living my life and tolerating the situation.

The fact is, this is not going away anytime soon and people are just learning to live with it. They are factoring things in to their everyday life, becoming complacent and moving on. It is now up to the province to do what places like the UK have done and lock everything down for the benefit of the population at large.

The Ford government’s failure here though stems from failure point two I mentioned: taking a balanced approach.

Perhaps not appreciated here but Ford is trying to balance small business interests with health concerns. These concerns are not unfounded. People’s lives are being ruined. Families are being destroyed. People are going to kill themselves.

This balanced approach is flawed and a failure because Ford is putting disproportionate weight on a minority interest over the greater good. This is not his failure alone. True leadership at this time requires people to make tough war-time-like decisions including sacrificing minority interests and even some peoples lives and livelihoods as collateral damage.

The choice of who and what you sacrifice is a matter of debate and a matter of the priorities you have personally.

This whole situation is likely a result of pandemic fatigue coupled with shell shock.

I am as worried as the next person but cases just keep going up and up despite "attempts" to do something about the situation be it information or actual measures. As a result of this, I am starting to go back to living my life and tolerating the situation.

The fact is, this is not going away anytime soon and people are just learning to live with it. They are factoring things in to their everyday life, becoming complacent and moving on. It is now up to the province to do what places like the UK have done and lock everything down for the benefit of the population at large.

Seems the federal government has also given in to pandemic fatigue by announcing that it's up to the provinces to decide what restrictions to implement.

Seems the federal government has also given in to pandemic fatigue by announcing that it's up to the provinces to decide what restrictions to implement.
That's not really wrong, though, is it? The provinces absolutely could be doing more. They managed quite well in the first wave (I guess except for Quebec). The provinces outlined what they wanted and the federal government supported them.

The Ford government’s failure here though stems from failure point two I mentioned: taking a balanced approach.

Perhaps not appreciated here but Ford is trying to balance small business interests with health concerns. These concerns are not unfounded. People’s lives are being ruined. Families are being destroyed. People are going to kill themselves.

This balanced approach is flawed and a failure because Ford is putting disproportionate weight on a minority interest over the greater good. This is not his failure alone. True leadership at this time requires people to make tough war-time-like decisions including sacrificing minority interests and even some peoples lives and livelihoods as collateral damage.

The choice of who and what you sacrifice is a matter of debate and a matter of the priorities you have personally.

There is no balanced approach - failure to contain the epidemic will inevitably result in harming of small businesses (like now). You have also forgotten the province is sitting on 9B from the feds - was any of it released to support those whose lives are at risk of being ruined? If they can't bring themselves to do that, I am not really interested in hearing who and what they are sacrificing (because it is clearly not their own political future).

AoD

Last edited:
True leadership at this time requires people to make tough war-time-like decisions including sacrificing minority interests and even some peoples lives and livelihoods as collateral damage.

Depends on who you feel the minority is.
They are likely on the side that believes that the number of deaths from COVID are the minority in relation to the economic depression coming down the pipe due to disruptions like lockdowns.

Depends on who you feel the minority is.
They are likely on the side that believes that the number of deaths from COVID are the minority in relation to the economic depression coming down the pipe due to disruptions like lockdowns.

Except this so called "balance" couldn't keep the shutdown from coming - and the end result of this containment failure is a longer and deeper lockdown. This continual refusal to look at and emulate countries that are successful in curbing this pandemic and to return to a modicum of normalcy because of short term pain involved is utterly irrational.

The failure isn't one of policy balance - the failure is the timidity of our elected representatives in choosing paths that have been demonstrated to work empirically for fear of the political price. It is the antithesis of leadership and self-sacrifice. People die and lives are ruined as a result.

AoD

Last edited:
It's not a simple equation of deaths vs business. There are long term health implications that impact both individuals and the broader health care system and the economy.

A first step would be to nationalize the entire long-term care sector - I'm not holding my breath.
Hospitals are not nationalized, why should LTC? What needs to happen is legislation to put LTC residences on the same level as hospitals, that means non-profit, funded by the State. But what about those who want the finer style of retirement living and have the dollars to pay? We can't eliminate for-profit retirement residences, so any LTC legislation needs to differentiate from those.

So there is more rumblings pertaining to the Emergencies Act. I get the sense that Trudeau is getting annoyed by how things are being handled and while not publically saying it, is considering invoking the act.

Ford's attempt to dump things on the cities and ignore local health officials may lead to Trudeau invoking the act and blaming Ford for forcing his hand.

See here:

and here: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pm-to-provinces-act-now-to-slow-surging-covid-19-1.5182552

Back