News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'm expecting 2000 daily cases next week. The exponential growth of cases is making it near impossible for contact tracers to keep up.

Think about it. 360~ cases in Toronto and on average lets say they each come into contact with 10 people. That's 3600 people a day that need to be called at a minimum.

The scary thing is the numbers are much higher as Ontario has cut back on testing.

I'm expecting 2000 daily cases next week. The exponential growth of cases is making it near impossible for contact tracers to keep up.

Think about it. 360~ cases in Toronto and on average lets say they each come into contact with 10 people. That's 3600 people a day that need to be called at a minimum.

Listen to what the Ozzies have to say:

They were dealing with smaller daily increases than we are experiencing now. Pretending that we can still be "business as usual" when you have 1/2 the new cases with no known epilink because "we can do contract tracing" is BS.

AoD

Last edited:
A complete lockdown only for Toronto and Peel won't be sufficient - at a minimum it should be GTA wide. But given the profiles of courage provincially, fat chance of that happening - we'd rather be spending time talking about McDonald fries. And oh look:

Ed Tubb
@EdTubb

3m

Ontario is reporting a new high of 1,426 new COVID-19 cases Wed. The 7-day avg. is

🔺

to a new high of 1,217 cases/day or 59 cases weekly per 100,000. 15 deaths new deaths, w. a 7-day avg. of 13.3/day. The province is also reporting 5.1% positivity. https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/status

AoD

You can't just lock down the GTA all of Ontario has to be locked down.

Northern Ontario is probably in a better position than we are. Ontario is a large province that doesn't necessarily require the uniform policies across the board; but doing it by municipality/region in obvious hot zones (like the GTHA) is just stupid.

AoD

Yep, i was just about to say that. People from red zones are traveling outside their own regions spreading covid, previously green zones like Halton and Wellington County, now have accelerating numbers of cases and have been moved to yellow.

And people are traveling to the other zones. I saw someone on my facebook feed from Toronto, having an indoor dinner at the Keg on the weekend.

Northern Ontario is probably in a better position than we are. Ontario is a large province that doesn't necessarily require the uniform policies across the board; but doing it by municipality/region in obvious hot zones (like the GTHA) is just stupid.

AoD

Places like Thunder Bay etc are far enough away but the Ottawa-Gta-London should all be shut down.

Yep, i was just about to say that. People from red zones are traveling outside their own regions spreading covid, previously green zones like Halton and Wellington County, now have accelerating numbers of cases and have been moved to yellow.

And people are traveling to the other zones. I saw someone on my facebook feed from Toronto, having an indoor dinner at the Keg on the weekend.

We have a choice shut it down or set up police check points.

I don't think you realize how many check points would be necessary to contain people in the GTA, let alone Toronto.

Diwali is this weekend, so short of police going door to door, there will be large family gatherings.

I don't think you realize how many check points would be necessary to contain people in the GTA, let alone Toronto.

It can be done - like Melbourne did:

Not pretty, but it worked.

As to Diwali (or violation of any public gathering rules in general) - enforcement doesn't have to be universal; it only need to be harsh and visible. You can't catch everyone - but you can bias the punishment/reward scale so that the risk of getting caught outweigh the benefit. Do we have the guts to do that? I doubt the province does.

AoD

Last edited:
Short of the death penalty, you're not going to dissuade people from celebrating holidays together.

I think $5K and/or 30 days in jail would be sufficient - the most important thing is that you have to publicize a sufficient number of these violations non-anonymously.

AoD

I've always hated flat fee fines. Make it a progressive percentage of your income.

There needs to be an Ontario Works tie-in here. If you are on government assistance (other than disability) and caught violating public health guidelines than your assistance should be revoked. It would be an incentive.

That's just my two cents.

Back