News   Jul 12, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 403     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 763     0 

Niagara Falls Hilton Phase II (53s, 172m, Stanford Downey Architects)

Developers are building glass boxes in Toronto like they are going out of style...

???

Glass boxes seem to be gathering steam...

???

Glass boxes seem to be gathering steam...

I'm just sayin', ya know.

Why can't Niagara Falls get something at least half decent? (i.e -glass box). Better than the crap they are gonna be forced to deal with in a couple of years when this thing completes.

I'm in total agreement with you on that Cal - but the hoteliers of Las Niagara seem hell bent on building fun-chitecture, not realizing that you need the Nevada sun to fully bake it. Oh well - when taking overseas visitors to this place, try to keep their backs turned to these things.

I'd like to think of Niagara Falls as Toronto's "buffer zone" for bad high-rise architecture, but the Hilton tower is just unacceptable. The Hilton should have at least thought about trading design ideas with Harry Stinson.

As for Las Vegas, I think it has already grown out of the tacky architecture it is noted for. Niagara Falls looks to me like one of the many developing skylines in China than Las Vegas.

oh come on! you guys are just jealous!

"When this thing is finished it will be like looking at a 58 storey wall from the west"

- how do you know that? I havent been inside many of the hotels here, but one that I have, The Doubletree has only rooms facing The Falls, elevator and hallways on the back side with windows. From outside you cant tell that the back side is not rooms. I doubt it will be a 58 floor blank wall...

I'm just sayin', ya know.

Why can't Niagara Falls get something at least half decent? (i.e -glass box). Better than the crap they are gonna be forced to deal with in a couple of years when this thing completes.

Actually, the best glassboxitecture was built across the river in NFNY a generation ago: Pelli's Winter Garden, and this

Yeah, we're really jealous about a 600ft version of a funeral home in Woodbridge.

I don't think I need to say anything else this is so perfect. Jealousy doesn't begin to describe my feelings about this building. At least Trump in Toronto is more or less mostly hidden from view.

2389848644_ce6dfa0e65_o.jpg

When this thing is finished it will be like looking at a 58 storey wall from the west. (Shudder.)

- how do you know that? I havent been inside many of the hotels here, but one that I have, The Doubletree has only rooms facing The Falls, elevator and hallways on the back side with windows. From outside you cant tell that the back side is not rooms. I doubt it will be a 58 floor blank wall...

What reason is there to believe that it will have any more windows than the 30s Phase 1 tower immediately beside it? It looks like it's the same plan as its existing stumpy dad - that's your own photo there, and the cutouts for windows look virtually the same. This pituitary giant is doomed to be overly self-conscious from being constantly stared at in quiet horror.

For a tourist hotel with one of the world's best and most famous views, it sure has pathetic little windows.

What reason is there to believe that it will have any more windows than the 30s Phase 1 tower immediately beside it? It looks like it's the same plan as its existing stumpy dad - that's your own photo there, and the cutouts for windows look virtually the same. This pituitary giant is doomed to be overly self-conscious from being constantly stared at in quiet horror.

yes, I agree it will look just like that only taller. You seemed to be suggesting a concrete wall devoid of any windows. We can already see that the new construction does imitated the same window layout as the exisiting tower. In the render they have placed detail (a ledge) at a couple of different heights to break things up a bit. Agree its not going to win any awards, but its a significant building and the roof is similar to the Royal York too! (though only painted steel in this case)

Wow. This could be the ugliest skycraper ever built in this country (and that is no exaggeration).

Back