News   Jul 26, 2024
 307     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 810     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 704     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Oh snap! I'd like to know when this poll was taken. It still suggests Progressive voters really oughta jump on the Smitherman bandwagon.

Nah. Sorry folks. Ford will win, and win handily.

Smitherman's following of Hipsters and Downtown elitists are great at spreading their feelings on Twitter and social forums like this one, but when it comes to voting Fords' mouth-breathing-suburbanite-faithful will turn out to the polls in droves.

I'm definitely going to steer clear of the downtown Starbucks locations on Tuesday morning. The bitter taste of tears and Java don't mix.

You realize that even in the suburbs over the past two elections roughly 50% have voted for left and centre candidates right? And that, even in the closest election we've had in years (2003, Tory vs Miller) the suburbs only had 24.5% turnout? If we look at the trend in provincial and federal politics, there's nothing to suggest that we're going to see vast increases in turnout in an election renowned for intense voter apathy.

Also what the hell is with this "downtown elite" and "hipster" bullshit? How much cool-aid does one have to drink to start spouting that nonsense?

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that you would use such a stupid term like "downtown elite" when you yourself lived on the waterfront. Were you an elite then?

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to steer clear of the downtown Starbucks locations on Tuesday morning. The bitter taste of tears and Java don't mix.

Come on, we know you wouldn't be able to order a coffee without embarassing yourself. There's no way you go to Starbucks regularly.

"DERRRUerrr i'LL hAV A vENTi with SoME GRANDE"

If there was an IQ-based survey on Rob Ford supporters vs. George Smitherman supporters, it's quite obvious who would come out on top. So don't start a war of wits with Anybody But Forders, because you are on the side with rocks and sling shots. You are attempting to make fun of people who enjoy the fine things in life. These are people who keep the economy going, and actually give a shit about the big picture. They aspire to make Toronto great and can see past simple ideas and easily digestable sound bytes. They have intellectual depth.

I lived my whole life in the suburbs, so I know what I'm talking about. These "downtown elitists" are much better company. They are open-minded, they THINK, they aspire, they live together... There's no contest.

Last edited:
A minor endorsement in the grand scheme, but an important one for some, Steve Munro backs George Smitherman: http://stevemunro.ca/?p=4505
I think this endorsement will sway some Pants fans to Smithy. How many, I don't know. It would be great if a newspaper carried an article about Munro's stance. If so, this endorsement would go much further.

Thanks a lot Glen,

Curious though ... when did anyone other then Sarah (from what I recall) mention commerical property tax directly? Smitherman has mentioned freezing property taxes! One could only assume he's only referring to residential tax rates?
Anyway, my issue with Ford is some what echoed in your post - I really don't see much of anything in his platform that directly targets improving the business climate - all I see is a blanket attitude of let's save money / cut services - which clearly is necessary to a certain degree to achieve my goal - but there's been no hint of this long term vision whatsoever. Ford has directly mentioned cutting the land transfer tax and car registration - again, he'll need to make up for this, and more likely then not it won't come from residential tax rates.

I just don't see him addressing anything - it's true we may come out with a slightly more balanced budget and a new mayor may be able to a lot with that.

On the other end of the spectrum - I don't think blanket cuts to all services is desirable - countless times we've heard the lines (so what services will be cost? "Nothing, we'll improve services by making them more efficient") which is all well and good for an election platform but clearly far from the truth.

You can find Smitherman's suggestion to allow lower commercial taxes in certain areas on his website. Regarding long term vision. Let me ask, what is the current long term vision (Miller's), and that of George Smitherman's? And by what do, or will, you judge it's success by?

Also what the hell is with this "downtown elite" and "hipster" bullshit? How much cool-aid does one have to drink to start spouting that nonsense?

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that you would use such a stupid term like "downtown elite" when you yourself lived on the waterfront. Were you an elite then?

I find it amusing that you Smitherheads completely gloss over my anti-Ford jabs. Those Liberal issued blinders really are effective.

Look, Kevin Clarke gets my vote this election as he does in every other. Enjoy your Lattes on Tuesday. I hear Starbucks will be ordering additional copies of the Toronto Star to soak up all of the tears.

I'm going to go hide under my bridge now.

Nah. Sorry folks. Ford will win, and win handily.

Smitherman's following of Hipsters and Downtown elitists are great at spreading their feelings on Twitter and social forums like this one, but when it comes to voting Fords' mouth-breathing-suburbanite-faithful will turn out to the polls in droves.

1. I'm pretty sure hipsters are naturally Pantalone supporters, or do you not know what a hipster is?

2. Also, you think hipsters and elitists are vocal? What about the mob of Ford-tards that degrade every article in every single newspaper with one-liners like FIBERALS!! or GRAVY TRAIN!!!!?

3. Who are these elitists, everyone that lives downtown? Streetcar riders? Cyclists? Anyone with a left-of-centre ideology?

The problem with the current first-past-the-post election we have is that the person the majority do not want could get in. If we had a 50%+1 vote, it could be better, but expensive to stage a runoff election. With a ranked ballot, we could at least rate them to make the final decision.

My ranking would be:
1) Pantalone
2) Smitherman
3) Thompson
4) Rossi
5) Ford​

Without a ranking ballot or a conclave, my vote would have to go to Smitherman.

I find it amusing that you Smitherheads completely gloss over my anti-Ford jabs. Those Liberal issued blinders really are effective.

Look, Kevin Clarke gets my vote this election as he does in every other. Enjoy your Lattes on Tuesday. I hear Starbucks will be ordering additional copies of the Toronto Star to soak up all of the tears.

I'm going to go hide under my bridge now.

huh? who said I was voting for Smitherman? I'm one of those 140,000 undecideds.

I also love how I used facts about suburban voter tendencies and the best you can come up with is that dribble. If you can't speak intelligently about something, why bother?

Last edited:
You can find Smitherman's suggestion to allow lower commercial taxes in certain areas on his website. Regarding long term vision. Let me ask, what is the current long term vision (Miller's), and that of George Smitherman's? And by what do, or will, you judge it's success by?

Did Ford mention it directly? It surprises me you'd side with Ford if he didn't.
Or is the argument against Smitherman his plans really don't mesh well with a lowered tax rate - which is understandable - given his proposed property tax tax freeze across the board and spending over top the original TC plan.

Long term vision and long term success are indeed two different beasts. One could argue Miller's long term objectives were waterfront development / environmental protection / transit improvements for the outer core (i.e. non downtown) which is basically what TC amounts to. At one point there also seemed to be a little push to improve the business climate in Toronto - while I think some of these plans were good in spirit and layed down a foundation - we've really failed to follow up on them like originally intended or found ways to make it look like progress was being made when in reality we're moving farther away from the objectives.

Pantalone using the Calgary mayor as a reason to vote for him is pretty comical. While it was true that a couple weeks before the election, he looked to be a distant third, his support really picked up in the final week. This poll was released Thursday before their Monday election http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...lection_poll_101012/20101013/?hub=CalgaryHome

That's basically the same sort of poll as today's Globe is, both 4 days away from the election. As you can see, Nenshi had 30.1%, Pantalone has 10%. Nice try, Joe.

Back