News   Jul 26, 2024
 377     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 862     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Not really, we're just fed up with the left. Also not hard convincing your mom (a staunch conservative) to vote for Ford.

I know you hate Transit City, but do you honestly believe Rob Ford will do anything for transit in this city? Why?

I know you hate Transit City, but do you honestly believe Rob Ford will do anything for transit in this city? Why?

He will cancel TC, that's all I care about.. In 4 years when we get a better mayor, hopefully a more balanced transit strategy will be released.

I don't see him tearing the streetcar network so I don't worry about that.

I've gotten my entire family + family friends to vote for Ford (~30 people) I know a lot of my friends are doing the same.

Guys, I've only convinced 30 people to vote for Smitherman, another dead heat!

Quickly, someone else want to vote Smitherman to throw things our way?

Last edited:

He's unequivocally said that's what he wants to do. So, you think that he won't be able to complete a lot of his mandate, and that's a good thing? I think you're kind of confused.

I don't like TC, either, but putting it off altogether for 4 years, then going back to starting a whole new plan is really putting off doing anything about transit for 15 years. That's IF he doesn't manage to rip out streetcar lines. Then we'd be moving backwards.

Again, as with most Ford fans, you're mainly obsessed with what you're against.

Last edited:
He's unequivocally said that's what he wants to do. So, you think that he won't be able to complete a lot of his mandate, and that's a good thing? I think you're kind of confused.

I don't like TC, either, but putting it off altogether for 4 years, then going back to starting a whole new plan is really putting off doing anything about transit for 15 years. That's IF he doesn't manage to rip out streetcar lines. Then we'd be moving backwards.

If he wins and starts going on about tearing the streetcar network it will cause massive protests in the city as most see them as an icon. Transit City is quite hated by most Torontonians (again, I repeat this board is not a gauge on the average Torontonian's opinion) so most will welcome its demise.

Also what the hell is with this "downtown elite" and "hipster" bullshit? How much cool-aid does one have to drink to start spouting that nonsense?
Ford supporters criticizing other people for being "elitist" is hilariously ironic. Pot, kettle, black.

Did Ford mention it directly? It surprises me you'd side with Ford if he didn't.
Or is the argument against Smitherman his plans really don't mesh well with a lowered tax rate - which is understandable - given his proposed property tax tax freeze across the board and spending over top the original TC plan.

It is the latter.

Long term vision and long term success are indeed two different beasts. One could argue Miller's long term objectives were waterfront development / environmental protection / transit improvements for the outer core (i.e. non downtown) which is basically what TC amounts to. At one point there also seemed to be a little push to improve the business climate in Toronto - while I think some of these plans were good in spirit and layed down a foundation - we've really failed to follow up on them like originally intended or found ways to make it look like progress was being made when in reality we're moving farther away from the objectives.

These things are not unto themselves. They are means to an end. At some point we have to evaluate what we are getting. Has the Miller's 44% increase in spending made Toronto more prosperous, reduced congestion, put the city on a firm financial footing, improved the environment, reduced poverty. No. Let's look at the waterfront for example. The the public is paying to clean up the soil as to facilitate redevelopment. But what private redevlopment has, or is, going to happen? Condos. While this may be nice for those whom move there, there is a cost to the rest of the city*. So long as the majority of redevelopment that occurs is residential most of the goals will be negatively effected. Without a proportionate rise in local employment there will be an increase in outbound (SoV) traffic. The city will be increasing expenses more than revenue and housing will continue to increase in price by he fact that the subsidisation of services will be capitalized into values. So housing will be less affordable, the environment will suffer, and the cost will be borne by the city at large. The city in turn, will continue to try and isolate residents from the impacts. As such, whenever assessment values change between classes, necessitating a shift to the residential class, council will avoid it (see 2004), accelerating the process.

*To the degree that new residential development is causing a fiscal operating loss
for the City (i.e. tax revenue brought in by new development is less than added
operating costs needed to service that development), a higher residential tax rate
would reduce (or eliminate) this loss. The higher tax rate would increase the tax
revenue that new development brings in. The higher tax rate might also slow the
pace of residential development to some degree. If new development continues
to produce an operating loss even at the higher tax rate, a reduced pace of
residential development is fiscally beneficial

Dr. Peter Tomlinson

He will cancel TC, that's all I care about.. In 4 years when we get a better mayor, hopefully a more balanced transit strategy will be released.

What about existing service levels? Do you think they will be better or worse with Ford as mayor? Do you think he'll work with the province or other sources to find subsidies to keep fares from rising too quickly? Recall that he has a chief policy advisor that earlier this year advocated for the complete destruction of the TTC.

Tearing up the streetcar network may be a stretch, but he's certainly stated his intention to do it. Is it really hard to imagine in a post-amalgamation Toronto? If service is decreased to the point where riders get (more) frustrated, you don't think more than 50% of the Toronto population might support ending streetcar service downtown? Is that a risk you want to take?

What about existing service levels? Do you think they will be better or worse with Ford as mayor? Do you think he'll work with the province or other sources to find subsidies to keep fares from rising too quickly? Recall that he has a chief policy advisor that earlier this year advocated for the complete destruction of the TTC.

Tearing up the streetcar network may be a stretch, but he's certainly stated his intention to do it. Is it really hard to imagine in a post-amalgamation Toronto? If service is decreased to the point where riders get (more) frustrated, you don't think more than 50% of the Toronto population might support ending streetcar service downtown? Is that a risk you want to take?

As a Hudak premiership is coming online in a year, and his close relationship to Ford, I see the future is bright for TC's death.

As a Hudak premiership is coming online in a year, and his close relationship to Ford, I see the future is bright for TC's death.

But who cares about TC? Do you want a transit system that's reliable and affordable for residents? Do you just care about hypothetical lines on maps?

On SCC, Filip said that anyone who supports height limits is a hippie and anyone who supports Transit City is a communist. Enough said.

Personally I loathe Transit City, but I loathe fat, ill-tempered, loudmouth, wife-beating, racist, homophobic, pro-car, born-millionaire suburbanites even more.

I said hippie but never said communist.. Your lies are good though, thought about being a politician?

I'd rather have fat, ill-tempered, loudmouth, wife-beating, racist..etc than a big bald gay queen who lies and squanders a billion (and more according to the audit Ontario is running).

If he wins and starts going on about tearing the streetcar network it will cause massive protests in the city as most see them as an icon.

So...you're advocating voting for a man whose policies would likely cause massive protests...I see...

Also, I need to ask, would you yourself protest the removal of current streetcar lines?

So...you're advocating voting for a man whose policies would likely cause massive protests...I see...

Also, I need to ask, would you yourself protest the removal of current streetcar lines?
Oh hell yes. I hate those slow things and especially because the TTC forces me to rely on the Queen streetcar to get downtown. But, they're an icon and I couldn't imagine the city without them.

And you are ok with a Harper - Hudak - Ford hierarchy of government?

Perhaps we could give Mike Harris some sort of ceremonial role.

Back