News   Jul 26, 2024
 783     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

It really saddens me to see UT succumb to all the rhetoric, hyperbole, one-liners and innane comments. It's getting to be worse than #voteto on twitter. This was a place where actual ideas and platforms were poked and proded, debated and discussed and now it's just headache inducing fat/gay jokes and talk about elites and slackjawed yocals that supposedly exclusively support each side. Even if both sides are desperate there's no need for this. We get it, Smitherman played a role in e-health, Ford is a racist bigot. You would think people would have got over those points a while ago, realizing that no one that has held a position of significance is flawless. But, alas, politics would be boring if we didn't have these innane talking points to bleat every few minutes, right?

I'd like to suggest that if you're coming here trying to win people over, or trying to tar a candidate for something that everyone already knows about, then go find another place to do it. We have one weekend left, let's try to make it civilized.

Rob Ford has just released his campaign donor list.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontovotes2010/2010/10/21/15782561.html

No big names or organizations just lots of little $20 donations from the average folks that Ford is fighting for. The list reflects the diverse ethnic mix of the city - it seems that Rob enjoys huge support from the minority communities. This should bode well come election day.

Smitherman REFUSES to release his list until well AFTER the election. What is he hiding?

Rob Ford has just released his campaign donor list.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontovotes2010/2010/10/21/15782561.html

No big names or organizations just lots of little $20 donations from the average folks that Ford is fighting for. The list reflects the diverse ethnic mix of the city - it seems that Rob enjoys huge support from the minority communities. This should bode well come election day.

Smitherman REFUSES to release his list until well AFTER the election. What is he hiding?

Case in point.

Ford is a racist bigot. You would think people would have got over those points a while ago, realizing that no one that has held a position of significance is flawless.
Hang on ... their is a difference between flaws and such vile and inexcusable bigotry. No man of such evil should ever be allowed to hold office. The stuff he has done and said is a firing offence in any normal workplace. We are reviewing his job performance.

I'd like to suggest that if you're coming here trying to win people over, or trying to tar a candidate for something that everyone already knows about, then go find another place to do it. We have one weekend left, let's try to make it civilized.
Why start now ... we've been trashing Ford in this thread now for 9 months. The guy will be a footnote on the history of Toronto in about 96 hours ...

Then carry on. I won't be reading this thread... (not that it's a loss to anyone, it's just reached a point beyond annoying)

there is a difference between flaws and such vile and inexcusable bigotry. No man of such evil should ever be allowed to hold office. The stuff he has done and said is a firing offence in any normal workplace. We are reviewing his job performance.

and this is the truly sad thing about this election, that so many people are throwing their support to this man. it's also sad how someone in such a position as councillor can get away with the things you mentioned. even if he walked up to every black person in his ward and called them the n-word, he'd only possibly risk losing his job by means of the next election.

Yesterday Joe revealed his donor list now its Rob's turn

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...donors-as-election-draws-near/article1768103/
Ford reveals list of donors as election draws near

Less than two weeks out from election day, the Rob Ford campaign had raised $690,000 – just over half the $1.3-million spending limit for mayoral candidates.

The donations, in amounts as small as $5, come from more than 2,000 donors as of Oct. 12. Since then, says campaign spokeswoman Adrienne Batra, the campaign has been receiving between $15,000 and $20,000 daily.

There are a few notable names – former Metro Toronto councillor Tony O’Donohue donated $250; former city councillor Chris Korwin-Kuczynski donated $200; DTZ Barnicke vice-president Andrew Barnicke gave $300; a handful of councillors and councillor hopefuls, including Michael Feldman and Gus Cusimano made contributions of their own. Andrew Pask, Mr. Ford’s former executive assistant, donated $250 – the same amount he donated to Joe Pantalone’s campaign.

George Smitherman’s older brother Arthur Smitherman, who came out in favour of his brother’s political nemesis several months ago, donated $120 (several Pantalones were listed as donors, as well; it wasn’t immediately clear whether they’re related to the mayoral candidate).

Among the thousands of donors on Mr. Ford’s campaign list is Underhill Landscaping, which is recorded as having donated $250.

The way it’s recorded would make it a corporate donation, which the city ruled inadmissible earlier this year. Ms. Batra said the campaign is well aware of the new rule, and said the inclusion of Underhill’s donation is likely a mistake. It’s possible the donation was rejected but recorded anyway, she said.

“I think that’s the only one that’s in there – that’s what makes me think it’s a mistake. Because we can’t accept corporate donations it would have been rejected. ...My understanding is that it would have been recorded but rejected because it was a corporate donation.

“It could have been the guy sent the cheque they put the company instead of his name. That’s entirely possible.”

Hey MetroMan. I'm sorry for calling you out. and calling you an idiot. Does that make you feel better man?

Colvis: you're fairly new to UT and you're displaying all the hallmarks of a teenager sans girlfriend or any clue how to handle the same.

May I recommend that if you want to really get into the heart and soul of UT, no thread embodies it more than this one. Go through it: all its pictures and everything. You'll be disarmed and exhilarated.

That is, unless you're *not* disarmed or exhilarated by that fare. In which case, get lost and go find another forum, twerp.

Are me and Peepers the only Rob Ford supporters that have posted recently on this thread? Every single forum or comment section I go to, there are a bunch of left wing Smitherman supporters bashing Ford like no freaking tomorrow. Yet Ford still has tons of support? Are Rob Ford supporters scared to admit they will vote for him or are Smithermans supporters just desperate?

Of course no mention in the Globe about the fact that Smitherman REFUSES to release his list until AFTER the election OR that the list of names was very ethnically diverse. The Globe is as bad as the Star in its biased reporting in support of Smitherman

And yet you quote Sue Ann Levy to support your tirades... The hallmark of unbiased reportage.

I use to think Ford was a big fat lard ass...

However, he seems like a decent guy who has huge flaws.

Smittermen has massive flaws, and I think just because he was a liberal and the fact he is gay, many of the progressives on this board just ignore that. Following any politician blindly is silly, just look at how sad Obama supporters are in the US.

He has anger, deep anger like the whole senior diapers flap and his antics at Queens park are quite comparable to Rob Ford. Unlike Ford, Smiterman has held an actual position of power and has overseen massive government waste when he was the head of the health department.

So, Ford has his flaws but Smitterman is no saint and Ford is not a racist...

Ford was at a local Sikh temple and fitted in rather well with everyone. Won me over...

Back