News   Jul 30, 2024
 170     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 997     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 519     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

You're not a Ford supporter? Really? You sure sound like one.

Are you intentionally twisting people's words or do you just not read what people are writing?

Nobody said ALL Ford supporters are bigots but clearly, many of the Ford supporters online, seem to be. (check reader's comments on all internet sites) Maybe other candidate's supporters are bigots too but I have not seen evidence of that. I also have not seen evidence of belligerent and mean comments coming from the supporters of any other mayoral candidate. It's almost exclusively coming from the angry, rude Ford horde. Why might that be? We all pay taxes, not just Ford supporters.

Nobody said that all those who attack Smitherman are automatically Ford fanatics. Rossy and Pantalone fans do exist too. I think it's when people get nasty with the comments, that we tend to think of them as Ford fanatics because that just seems to be the pattern. I think it's when people refuse to take into consideration both sides, that is the problem. Ford supporters never seem to play fair. No matter what Ford does, he's always in the right. They fail to see his flaws and totally exaggerate everyone else's.

When you say Ford is "naive" don't you really mean not too bright? Get real! We have all seen Ford in debate and reading on his Youtube videos. In all honesty, do you really have confidence in his intellect? Do you really think he has a clear understanding of how this city operates, including the intricacies of the budget? Did you know that Ford has a reputation of not reading reports and studies, before taking a vote on the issue in the study? This is not a secret. Ford is too busy answering his phone and getting garbage cans to people, instead of reading important documents.

People are not attacking Ford just because he is a right winger. They are reacting to what they see, hear, read and perceive about Ford. It's not just a baseless attack. It's clear Ford supporters don't care about many important issues. They are mad and want to stick it to whoever they see as "the man". Who are the real elites? Have people even figured that out? That's a dangerous game to play, as we all are considered elites, to somebody less well off/educated than ourselves.

What I think is sad, and so surprising is that so many people think Ford is the one man who can save Toronto. How he can be anybody's saviour, is totally beyond my comprehension. I'm baffled!

Do we really have that much in common with Mississippi? Scary!

I am afraid I am not twisting anybody words. "Anti-bigot bigot" pretty much describes the situation.

No, I don't have confidence in his intellect. No, I don't think he has a clean understanding how this city is operated. And no, I don't think Rob Ford read reports, at least not carefully. (Again, parking on driveways). But then again, a good attack dogs (and I don't mean it in a bad way) does not have to be bright. All it needs to do is to bite hard and refuse to let go. And that I think Rob Ford is good at. He will attack wastes relentlessly. He will cut spending left and right. There will be tons of collateral damages caused by him. However, in the end, the spending problem will be gone. Then he will be kicked out. We will elect somebody moderate to fix the mess he left behind. However, they will have a lot more fiscal room and political room to maneuver. And hopefully, they will keep a lean and mean city hall. That's how sick I think Toronto is.

Unfortunately, an attack dog goes hunting alone probably can't catch anything. I'd rather see him on a leash. That's why I'd rather see Ford as budget enforcement officer or even deputy mayor. His job would be simple, attack wastes and takes all the backlashes, doing the dirty works yet leaving the mayor's hand clean.

...And if we're going to speak about e-Health, it has been shown that it has saved the taxpayers nearly $500M already. It was a screwup and Smitherman has taken responsibility for his part in it over and over in debates, but in the end, it will have paid off.

I never said e-health should not be done. I simply said it was not carried out efficiently and taxpayer's money was wasted on Smitherman's watch.

And Smitherman never took responsibility (not words but in action), nor did he stand up for his colleague when he was forced to resign. Would you want him as your friend?

. He did some of that by trying to form a Ford party and Mammoliti is supporting him..

Team Ford is a joke. He's got 2 supporters on council. One of whom, Mammolit, he screwedi by endorsing another candidate in his ward. His "team" requires basically every vacant ward to be filled with a diehard supporter, as well as several longshot incumbent defeats (He wants Joe Mihevc out? Yeah right, Joe's pretty well-liked despite St Clair). This is just to populate his executive, let alone get a majority on council itself.

Where are Denzil Minnan-Wong and Doug Holyday, the most prominent "conservatives" on council? If "Team Ford" was a legitimate threat they'd have jumped ship long ago. They don't think he'll win either and don't want to burn any bridges with Smitherman...

If you watch the patterns of the articles, you see that the resident Ford supporters are pretty well defeated in the articles defending the virtues of Toronto. The opening of Sherbourne commons a little while back, today's Hume article about 10 great things, etc, you see how thin the rhetoric actually is.

a) Toronto is Detroit junior
b) and apparently declining spectacularly.
c) Rob Ford will fix Toronto. Sorry, waterfront, you'll have to wait until Rob Ford cuts taxes and removes any possibility we'll ever finish you. Liberal elites and whatnot.
d) One or two comments will throw in an "ehealth" or two. Why this is relevant to Sugar Beach is questionable. but that's their MO.

Much like Ford himself, they have one catchphrase and spew it out no matter how irrelevant it may be to the situation.

If you really believe in the virtues of Toronto, then you would vote for Joe Pantalone, no? Or are we down to the awful one and the slightly less awful one?

And why do we need Sherbourne Common? It's a bloody lake out there with a beautiful view, yet we created a concrete water feature. Simple grass + chairs would do just fine and cheaper to maintain. Not to mention better for the environment. People comes to the waterfront to see the water, not some little man made stream. Sorry, waterfront, the rest of Toronto is tired of your little pet projects.

Team Ford is a joke. He's got 2 supporters on council. One of whom, Mammolit, he screwedi by endorsing another candidate in his ward. His "team" requires basically every vacant ward to be filled with a diehard supporter, as well as several longshot incumbent defeats (He wants Joe Mihevc out? Yeah right, Joe's pretty well-liked despite St Clair). This is just to populate his executive, let alone get a majority on council itself.

Where are Denzil Minnan-Wong and Doug Holyday, the most prominent "conservatives" on council? If "Team Ford" was a legitimate threat they'd have jumped ship long ago. They don't think he'll win either and don't want to burn any bridges with Smitherman...

That's very true, it didn't work out too well, thus my dissatisfaction.

Rossi again looking like the winner in the 680 News debate. This should be Smitherman vs Rossi. Ford is totally unqualified and should have no part in it.

I was surprised today. My mother, who had been a Rob Ford fan and believed he would come riding in on his magic broom and instantly stop waste and excess, has moved over to being a Rossi supporter. She thinks Rossi is very intelligent and well-spoken. She listens to a lot of political stuff. I guess if you listen to Ford long enough, you realize he has one or two constantly repeated talking points and comes off as a whiner. Hopefully others are realizing this too. Ford is his own worst enemy.

^ Your experience is not isolated. I've noticed this also. I think Rossi staying in the race is going to benefit Smitherman more than if he dropped out and thrown his support behind him.

Rossi again looking like the winner in the 680 News debate. This should be Smitherman vs Rossi. Ford is totally unqualified and should have no part in it.

Darn, I missed this debate. I wonder if it'll be available online.

But yes, I agree with you. This should be a Smitherman vs Rossi election. Them two are the most apt to run this city. Rossi has had a few big slip-ups in this campaign (eg. Allen Road tunneling), but overall he's a moderate candidate and the only one bold enough to NOT advocate tax cuts (something I agree with). I'd love to see a Smitherman vs Rossi showdown. I'd be happy with either one winning. It's a shame Ford has to get in the way.

On another note, WHERE ARE THE POLLS??? We had one released almost daily before, and now I haven't heard one come out all week. I'm dying here! lol

And why do we need Sherbourne Common? It's a bloody lake out there with a beautiful view, yet we created a concrete water feature. Simple grass + chairs would do just fine and cheaper to maintain. Not to mention better for the environment. People comes to the waterfront to see the water, not some little man made stream. Sorry, waterfront, the rest of Toronto is tired of your little pet projects.

Get out of Urban Toronto, you tasteless yahoo.

And, folks, that's why archinfel doesn't contribute to the more design-oriented discussions and forums on UT.

^^ I think his devotion to Ford is all encompassing. He has no time for superficial interests like architecture and urban planning. It takes a lot of time and creativity to find ways to defend Rob but I'm sure in the end it will be worth it. Can you imagine all the free hamburgers at Ford's big celebration, on election night. Hell, I might sneak in myself.

If you like the chairs, there's always nearby Sugar Beach.

The rest of us can enjoy Sherbourne Common.

Besides, I'm sure Ford is against the lake. He probably wants it filled in to save money on watering it.

Last edited:

Back