News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Rossi's been awfully quiet these last 2 days. No policy announcements, no endorsements... I have a feeling that reality is finally hitting home for him and his campaign. His final hope is Thomson's departure. If the next poll shows that little of her support went to him, and Smitherman steps in to first place with the boost from her endorsement, then Rossi will probably close up shop.

The funny thing is that I would like for him to stay. Rocco Rossi's the more sensible, more articulate, more intelligent Rob Ford. Ford's incompetence is really in the spotlight as of late and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of his supporters shift to Rossi. If that were to happen and the race became Smitherman vs Rossi, I'd be a lot more comfortable going into election day.

Rossi's been awfully quiet these last 2 days. No policy announcements, no endorsements... I have a feeling that reality is finally hitting home for him and his campaign. His final hope is Thomson's departure. If the next poll shows that little of her support went to him, and Smitherman steps in to first place with the boost from her endorsement, then Rossi will probably close up shop.

The funny thing is that I would like for him to stay. Rocco Rossi's the more sensible, more articulate, more intelligent Rob Ford. Ford's incompetence is really in the spotlight as of late and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of his supporters shift to Rossi. If that were to happen and the race became Smitherman vs Rossi, I'd be a lot more comfortable going into election day.

I wouldn't be strategic voting if Rossi were in Ford's position. I think many of Rossi's positions are completely backwards, but I feel like he's at least a smart guy.

People getting all caught up in the left-versus-right when it comes to Rob Ford are missing the big picture. It's not about policy - it's about competence.

I believe Ford does know that. Ford is focused on subways because he can blame the Liberals, when they refuse to give him the money to build them. Ford can then say it's not his fault, blame McGuinty. Of course, if McGuinty did give ford the money he wanted, and then had to go into a serious deficit, those same cons would be screaming to have his head on a platter. McGuinty of course, knows this, as well as Ford. This is just the kind of political games people like Ford play. If Transit City is not built, expect nothing to get built. (except for what's being built now) The reason why Toronto now has the worst traffic in North America, is because no new transit has been built in decades. Do we really want to keep changing plans and getting nowhere?

RF is not that smart... lol..

Plus Miller has already chastized the Ontario Government for Transit city.

More importantly, I wondering if pulling the 4 billion dollars was something Smitherman asked the Libs to do... so when it comes time to a Smitherman mayoralty, and he negotiates the additional 4 billion dollars in funding... it's a win/win situation for the libs. That I can see happening.

The Mayor Joe ad campaign that I've seen will help bolster his numbers if they manage to get it out. I think they're limiting it to subway stations because of lack of funds. I guess that's the best strategy since trying to win over car owners is probably a losing battle anyway.

I really really want to see this become a repeat of 2003 where Barbara Hall's support collapsed and it became Tory vs Miller. A Ford collapse that would open the way for Smitherman vs Pantalone would be my favourite scenario but this late in the game, I don't see this happening... and Pantalone ain't no Miller.

There they are :)

Again, if these ads can be well circulated, Smitherman and Joe's positivity might just be infectious enough to turn people off from Ford's negativity and this could become a race between Smitherman and Pants.

After seeing Joe in one debate and hearing him speak a number of times in interviews, that campaign isn't going to make me vote for him. Sure he might be a nice guy, but I don't think he's what Toronto needs right now.

I wouldn't be strategic voting if Rossi were in Ford's position. I think many of Rossi's positions are completely backwards, but I feel like he's at least a smart guy.
People getting all caught up in the left-versus-right when it comes to Rob Ford are missing the big picture. It's not about policy - it's about competence.
I agree with that. While strategic voting may be a reflection of our bad electoral system, it's also something that tends to only gain significant traction when the #1 option is a complete numptee.

Sheppard and Eglinton are both too advanced for Ford to stop. Which is to say, he probably could try, but faced with the amount of money for broken contracts etc I have no doubt Robbie would waffle. Unless he wants to park the Eglinton TBMS at Nathan Phillips as a monument to his stupidity. If he tried I can see Metrolinx being given the projects. By the time the Daltster finishes getting his ass kicked next year, they will be too advanced for anyone to cancel.

Finch is another question, but seeing as it doesn't get in the way of anybody's subway its biggest threat is Tim Hudak.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/sueann_levy/2010/09/28/15512756.html

Even Sue-Ann is calling robbie out for his nonplan. This is getting jucier and jucier. I wonder - hope - he's entering a downward spiral. The financial plan was the entire basis of his platform and was distinctly unimpressive. Almost as if he couldn't bother trying to put forth the primary plan he's been plugging since last winter.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/sueann_levy/2010/09/28/15512756.html

Even Sue-Ann is calling robbie out for his nonplan. This is getting jucier and jucier. I wonder - hope - he's entering a downward spiral. The financial plan was the entire basis of his platform and was distinctly unimpressive. Almost as if he couldn't bother trying to put forth the primary plan he's been plugging since last winter.

FTA
...and the chattering classes, who can’t fathom a lowly commoner like Ford for mayor?
Does anyone actually see Ford as a 'lowly commoner'? He may be lacking in charm and sophistication, but the dude's as silver-spoon as it gets! Where would he be without Daddy Ford to hand him his life on a platter?

Again, I want to sincerely thank everyone who posts these Sun articles. You risk your minds, sifting through that dreck everyday, just to bring us all a bit of entertainment.

Sheppard and Eglinton are both too advanced for Ford to stop. Which is to say, he probably could try, but faced with the amount of money for broken contracts etc I have no doubt Robbie would waffle. Unless he wants to park the Eglinton TBMS at Nathan Phillips as a monument to his stupidity. If he tried I can see Metrolinx being given the projects. By the time the Daltster finishes getting his ass kicked next year, they will be too advanced for anyone to cancel.

LMAO!! You just won the zing of the century prize.

I got an insight into Joe Pantalone's upcoming ad buys and you've seen his "Tiny Perfect Mayor 2.0" ads. Things might just get interesting for him after all.

The electorate traditionally only has enough focus for two candidates. What if Smitherman and Pantalone shine as those two? Ford's already been laughed off at four debates that I've seen. People are paying attention now and he's getting killed. I can imagine him taking a nosedive in the next two weeks. The undecideds will play a big part. While those hard core Ford fans were won over when Ford was on a high, I see little reason for the undecideds to go for him given his bad performance in the past couple of weeks.

If George & Joe pull a Tory & Miller, I'm going to be very very happy. Either one would make a great Mayor, each for different reasons.

I got an insight into Joe Pantalone's upcoming ad buys and you've seen his "Tiny Perfect Mayor 2.0" ads. Things might just get interesting for him after all.

The electorate traditionally only has enough focus for two candidates. What if Smitherman and Pantalone shine as those two? Ford's already been laughed off at four debates that I've seen. People are paying attention now and he's getting killed. I can imagine him taking a nosedive in the next two weeks. The undecideds will play a big part. While those hard core Ford fans were won over when Ford was on a high, I see little reason for the undecideds to go for him given his bad performance in the past couple of weeks.

If George & Joe pull a Tory & Miller, I'm going to be very very happy. Either one would make a great Mayor, each for different reasons.

not sure if you're aware.... pantalone can't raise the money ;)

Miller won because no-one knew how NDP he was and didn't expect what we where getting. Know what the last 7 years was like, there is not a single soul north of bloor that would be dumbfounded enough to vote for pantalone.

a vote for pantalone is as good as a vote for Ford .

I participated in Miller's 2003 campaign. He had trouble raising money at first as well. He only really got a boost in the final weeks, at the point we're at now.

I am aware that Pantalone is slim on cash, I was the one to report it a couple of pages back. That only means that Laschinger will have to limit their ad campaign. They have enough to put out a decent media buy. That'll get these new ads in front of people.

A vote for Pants is only going to benefit Ford if he's still in the lead. If Smitherman gets the lead with Thomson's supporters, Ford will be close behind but won't have enough support to get passed him on election day. Smitherman doesn't need Pants' support, although it would make things a lot more comfortable for him.

Smitherman's major concern is if his existing supporters start going elsewhere, which there's no indication they will. All he has to do is not lose support and he'll be our next Mayor.

what? so now she's a whore because she dropped out of the race and threw her support behind smitherman?
Don't be ridiculous. I'm clearly saying they BOTH are.

Either that or he's accusing her of taking bribes. Those of us who aren't wearing tin foil hats realize that this happens in municipal politics all the time.
When was the last time a credible candidate in a Toronto mayoral election dropped out after the cut-off date?

Back