News   Jul 24, 2024
 378     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 906     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 588     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I'm really hoping Tory runs and becomes Mayor. I listen to him on the radio, like what he usually has to say and he does have experience working out in the private sector and making hard choices and I think he could do something about the complete mismanagement of this city.

I think he would make an excellent mayor. I disagree with much of his politics, and many of his ideas. But even as someone who would be unlikely to vote for him, I concede that he has the qualities we need in a mayor; and this is something I don't see in any of the 6 frontrunners.

Tory's such a nice guy and seems intelligent but I have deep concerns about his tendency to compromise his beliefs to fit into modern day 'conservative' ideology. He's a Paul Martin-style Liberal if there ever was one.

He'd probably have had better luck in politics if he had been born John Gritterton.

He's a Red Tory. I don't think he's ever made a secret of that. There is not that much (or anything) between them, and the right-wing Liberals such as Paul Martin, Micheal Ignatieff, and John Turner. The contrast between him, and his successor, Hudak, couldn't be bigger.

He probably won't be under as much pressure to fit into that Conservative mode in Toronto.

AoD

+1

I like that he's more the manager type. That's exactly what Toronto needs. Enough with the visionaries. Just one term with a sound, and confident manager to get Toronto's house in order.

I like that he's more the manager type. That's exactly what Toronto needs. Enough with the visionaries. Just one term with a sound, and confident manager to get Toronto's house in order.
Why not 2 terms of sound confident management ...that's what Miller has provided.

Mayor Miller's popularity seems to be on the uptake. His spearheading of the city's efforts to manage the effects of the G20 summit have turned a lot of Miller haters into sympathizers. In my group of acquaintances, I often have to defend Miller's record and his accomplishments but this past weekend, a lot of those same people have come on his side.

I wonder what the election poll would say now, if we included Miller.

^I found Miller's unquestioning support for the police over the G20 weekend very odd - particularly since he doesn't have much to lose in criticizing aspects of their conduct. Will he suddenly change his mind about the election? Or is he leaving room to put his support behind Giambrone if he re-enters the race?

^What's odd about Miller's support for the cops? Let me see--he's wealthy, establishment and lives in the 'burbs (High Park is a wealthy old Toronto suburb.) He's a lawyer--obviously, he's gonna support the police over a mob of scary anarchists that threaten middle class lifestyles.

How is Rossi allowed to get away with this?

screenshot20100630at529.png

It's a blatant lie. Anybody paying any attention to this campaign so far will know or can easily find out that this campaign ad is 100% false.

Pantalone has arguably the most detailed, researched and funded plan to build transit: Transit City!

Thomson has a very reasonable and doable plan to build transt.

All the other candidates have announced their intentions and their plans to build transit.

How is it that Rossi can state that he's the only candidate with a plan to build transit? Is it even legal to blatantly lie in a campaign ad like that? It's not that there's a grey zone here. All the other candidates have plans, some of them even more detailed and researched than his.

^What's odd about Miller's support for the cops? Let me see--he's wealthy, establishment and lives in the 'burbs (High Park is a wealthy old Toronto suburb.) He's a lawyer--obviously, he's gonna support the police over a mob of scary anarchists that threaten middle class lifestyles.

He's not always so pro-cop - do you remember his "All my police officers are in jail" bit? There's some argument he's trying to make up for that comment.

And it's not just cops vs. anarchists - it's the fact that the cops have clearly done some no-nos and he doesn't want to acknowledge any of them. Pantalone, who was all "rah-rah: cops!" in his first blog post after the G20 subsequently modulated his views to express concerns about their conduct - and he's trying to court votes. Miller's continuing hardline stance seems strange, when he has nothing to lose from saying boo about the cops. He's a lame duck! He can do anything he wants. He could fart in Bill Blair's general direction.

Anyhoo, I don't think Miller would run for office again. The man is done. But Giambrone? His conduct just shows that he's worse at keeping secrets than Lastman, and liberals love a good sex scandal. Wild Speculation suggests he could jump back in.

Back