News   Aug 29, 2024
 55     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 686     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 2.2K     8 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Maybe the odd article or two, but I don't have much interest in reading lot about a no-hope one-percenter.

Maybe they're a "one-percenter" because they don't get any media coverage. Rocco Achampong seems promising, yet nobody knows about him because the media didn't pick up on his campaign.

Perhaps only a portion of the 30 candidates has a chance at running an effective campaign, but each one deserves at the least some coverage to gauge the interest of the voting public.

That is a good question. I am less troubled by Ford's lack of knowledge regarding design and architecture than I am by Miller's dubious fiscal handling of the city budget. He is a trained economist after all. If ford was an architect then his lack of knowledge would be an issue.

That's very much debatable ... but that's for a different thread.

But along those lines ... is anyone currently proposing something fiscally prudent with the budget ... and by this I mean more then just balancing the books ... I mean attracting business growth

Didn't he want to publicly fund private schools based on religious grounds too? Bad idea! It pretty much told me all I need to know about Tory. Nice guy though.
To be fair, that was what he proposed as Premier.

And the Ontario government does have a problem there that needs fixing. Currently it funds schools for one religion, but not others. I'm always surprised this bigotry continues in Ontario, when funding of religious schooling has ended in Quebec and Newfoundland. Tory's proposal would have fixed the problem. Though not the direction I'd have suggested.

Tory should be congratulated for trying to tackle a difficult issue. But his bizarre proposals in the 2003 election do I think eliminate him from consideration in this election.

Last edited:
To be fair, that was what he proposed as Premier.

And the Ontario government does have a problem there that needs fixing. Currently it funds schools for one religion, but not others. I'm always surprised this bigotry continues in Ontario, when funding of religious schooling has ended in Quebec and Newfoundland. Tory's proposal would have fixed the problem. Though not the direction I'd have suggested.
It wouldn't have fixed the problem. It would have made it worse, not just further entrenching the system but expanding it, which is probably one big reason everyone (including myself) thought he was nuts to propose it.

He basically condemned his own campaign in one go with such a foolish move.

Last edited:
That's very much debatable ... but that's for a different thread.

But along those lines ... is anyone currently proposing something fiscally prudent with the budget ... and by this I mean more then just balancing the books ... I mean attracting business growth

No candidate has put forward any detailed proposals addressing this. Rocco Rossi has come closest. I don't expect any to do so prior to the election.

No candidate has put forward any detailed proposals addressing this. Rocco Rossi has come closest. I don't expect any to do so prior to the election.

Smiterman mentioned something similar earlier in the election i.e. creating jobs and working with the GTA throughout - I'll try to find the link it was in the star.
But all these are quite informal as you stated. I also love the arbitrary number picked by Rossi.

what poll exactly?

This one...

I know this is being discussed a lot in the media so my little "insider info" isn't exactly breaking news but John Tory is all but ready to announce he's entering the race. His people conducted a survey this weekend so he'll be making a decision by Wednesday, announcing by Thursday.

I seriously hope he does come in, and if so, that his entering prompts other candidates to enter the ring as well. The current crop of candidates is painfully uninspiring. It's quite amazing that a wide open race didn't attract more and higher calibre candidates for the city's top office.

EDIT: ... and by the way, John decided to stay out of the race because he was exhausted from campaigning so much only to lose and was very worried that any other high profile loss would completely annihilate his image. This means that he'll only run if he's near certain that he'll win. I think he's looking for a clear 10 point lead or better in the polls. Anything less and he'll keep his day job.

Be careful what you hear about polls from insiders. It's an old campaign manager adage that "lying about polls isn't really lying."

Also Tory insiders already did a poll a couple weeks ago. Who do you think paid for this one?

Back