News   Jul 24, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 762     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 555     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I recall someone stating that it would be difficult to drop out of the mayor race and revert to run in your former ward as councillor again because either some statute disallowed it or a candidate may have already spent more money than is allowed in a councillor's campaign.

Anyone remember this?

I recall someone stating that it would be difficult to drop out of the mayor race and revert to run in your former ward as councillor again because either some statute disallowed it or a candidate may have already spent more money than is allowed in a councillor's campaign.

Anyone remember this?
Yes, I remember this. I'm starting to think it was complete BS.

Anyone remember this?

It's true. You can't spend over a cap -- which is smaller for councillors than it is for mayor. However, I can't recall any Mammoliti ads so I doubt he's spent much anyway. I'm fairly certain he had this in mind when running. He was probably saving his money for the final months, which by then he'd decide to stay in the race or run for his council seat instead.

It's ok. I don't care for him on council but he barely has any influence anyway and he's not quite the nut job like Rob Ford or obstructionist like Case Ootes.

Just as long as Ford doesn't do the same thing, I'm happy. I hope Ford rides his campaign to the end because I'm pretty confident that he won't have enough support city wide to defeat whoever gets to run against him in the inevitable 2 man race that will emerge.

Last edited:
I wonder if Joe Pantalone will drop out and run for Council - rumblings I hear is that his campaign is having difficulty raising the neccessary money to run a full mayoral campaign. And with the weak sentiment, and really only the hardcore dippers supporting, his campaign is quickly fizzling. It's really only a small group in the core that he can rely on. At the age of 57, it's a little early to retire.

This is not true. Pantalone's campaign is gaining momentum. He's picking up a lot of important donors who have been waiting to see if he'd have the right stuff to go through with the campaign and win.

I won't be surprised to see Joe in second or first place when the next poll is published.

And with the weak sentiment, and really only the hardcore dippers supporting, his campaign is quickly fizzling. It's really only a small group in the core that he can rely on.
You say this like NDP support is just a just a fringe.

In the last Ontario election (2007) the NDP and Greens captured over 29% of the vote in the City of Toronto, compared to only 23.5% for the Progessive Conservatives (and 45.3% for the Liberals). We have 2 major candidates left from the PC side; 2 major candidates from the Liberals - but who are both campaigning to the right. And Pantalone alone on the left. A half-decent left-wing candidate would clean-up (which is how Miller got elected twice).

If Pantalone could prove this, he could be a force to reckon with. Personally, I don't think he can.

After that, if nothing changes, it's Smitherman's to loose.

Once the undecided pick their sides, I think it's going to become a Pantalone VS Smitherman race with Ford holding on to his niche but never advancing beyond that.

Once the undecided pick their sides, I think it's going to become a Pantalone VS Smitherman race with Ford holding on to his niche but never advancing beyond that.

lol.. that's some good coolaid you are drinking.... PErhaps they should pump it into our water system to have a chance. I have friends with the NDP and they have been consistently harrased by the party to donate, lots of them are jumping ship as they feel the NDP (really a multilateral party) is more about staying in power than an actual ideal.

ANd most Greens do not support the NDP as they are more about industrialization/construction jobs than an actual environmental policy.) If you don't believe, ask your friends.

Perhaps you didn't read... Joe has become a 'fringe' candidate - the left has shifted and have jumped onto smitherman's ship.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/sueann_levy/2010/07/01/14578851.html

BUt what do I know...

He'll get donors from the College st. business because he's been in business with them for a while... kinda like a send off gift... the 'average joe doesn't see him as a credible candidate... Even the left are dissappointed by his lack of sincerity.
it's going to come down to Rossi and Smitherman.... Although I would not have any problems if Ford was mayor.... 1 term mayor would flush out a lot of what's crap in this city.

P.S. JOE pants didn't make an appearance at the pride parade?? Deal Breaker!

Last edited:

Anyone remember this?

It was I who mentioned that. Perhaps the person who told me was wrong, but the fellow was Miller's CFO for the last two elections. so I do consider him reliable.

Mammoillitti was running television spots on CP24, so he is almost certainly at or above his ward cap.

Where do you get your information from? Joe was at pride with a large crowd of supporters. If you get a basic thing like that wrong, how can your other facts be taken seriously? (For one you're also wrong about fundraising. As someone involved in Joe's campaign, I can also assure you that it is going very well)

He appeared; it's just that he's so short, you can't see him through the crowds;-) (And his team gave out "Joe" condoms.) Oh, and an inspired gesture on size and environmental grounds: a Smart-car as a Joe-Pants-mobile

Where do you get your information from? Joe was at pride with a large crowd of supporters. If you get a basic thing like that wrong, how can your other facts be taken seriously? (For one you're also wrong about fundraising. As someone involved in Joe's campaign, I can also assure you that it is going very well)

His source is Sue-Ann Levy.

Didn't see him... didn't see Ford... My leftist friends where actually asking also...

but saw Smitherman's float and Rossi banner and volunteers all over the place.

I guess he didn't have a banner, or enough volunteers/union workers helping ;)

Hey, if I can make that observation, then so can other attendees... hence my '???' marks and not statements
I even saw Sarah Thomson volunteers/shirts - the union brotherhood need to start pickin up their slack.

Actually, it's fair to say that YOU didn't see him, but that doesn't morph into him not being there. That's how misinformation spreads.

Back