News   Jul 23, 2024
 638     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 658     1 

New York VS London?

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
London and New York both have a lot in common. High density, global importance, large populations, good transportation networks.

Which one is better in your opinion?

Both are insanely expensive!!!

I prefer London (even though I've been for all of 4 days, as opposed to several trips to NYC).
It's nearly as multi-cultural, has incredible low-rise density, and I guess the x-factor is that it just smacks of charm for me. The tubes can be disgusting and I experienced a few stoppages, but there was a certain charm to them missing from NYC's rusted tin cans blasting through the underground. It sure made quick work of my wallet though! Very, very expensive.

Culturally they're not too far off...

I'm curious to see how they compare to that "other" city which is just as important on the global scale, Tokyo, which I'll be visiting in March I hope.

I just want to say London out of US-hate/frustration, but I honestly think that New York is the better of the two. Of course, the two differ only slightly, but I don't think that New York is coloured any worse because of my American stereotype, because it really is of a class of it's own.

I find that, compared to London, New York is a lot nicer to start with. Especially after 9/11, most people are very friendly to eachother, in a way that the centuries-old classism and division in London just don't pull off. In my opinion, New York is a fine example of that Canadian cultural mosaic, and that's a pretty big thing that makes the city, imo. Of course, maybe London just needs a plane to fly into Buckingham Palace or something and then it'll be just as friendly and accepting as New York.

Though the two really are pretty evenly tied. It's like 1001 vs. 1003 for me, really. But I think Tokyo should be an option too, also being considered as one of the really important global cities, and also maybe just because of the fact that it has a higher population than all of Canada. Then things would really be squaring off in terms of preference.

Tokyo is almost an irrelevent city to people who live in Canada. Tokyo is very unicutural and you'd be hard-pressed to find many people here who have lived in Tokyo, much less visited.

I've been to New York but I've never been to London. I was suprised just how gritty New York was. One thing that I don't particularly like about New York is the fact Manhattan is nice, but the rest of New York (The Bronx, Queens, not so much Brooklyn) looks like a third world country. Jackson Heights, Astoria, and Long Island City in Queens looked very run down, with virtually no aesthetic appeal. As well, I think I would rather live in Britain than the US just because it seems Britain is more liberal and open-minded. I've always understood the US to be the least gay-friendly country as well. Probably has to do with the fact they are the most religious developed country.

I've never been to New York, but to be entirely honest, it has never had the same appeal as many of the large European cities. I've been to London on a few occasions and I found it to be a fantastic city and one in which I feel very comfortable in. The amount of history alone is overwhelming, and its difficult not to feel like you're at the centre of somewhere very important (no matter your thoughts on colonialism).

Also, I've never found Londoners to be unfriendly. In fact, the first time I was there (literally minutes after stepping off the tube at Kings Cross and only an hour after I set foot in Europe for the first time) my girlfriend and I were treated to some free pastries by a sandwich shop after the owner noticed we were trying to figure out which coins were which. So I guess it's like anywhere where you're bound to meet nice people and grouchy people.

London is expensive, especially food, but tourists can do quite a bit on little since many of the museums are free and wandering around can be an experience on its own (not to mention the awesome London Walks tours that are only 5quid). Plus, I think every time I've been there we didn't spend more than $100/night on our hotel rooms. Mind you they were Travelodges, but they were clean and safe so that's all that matters really. However, I think if you're going to somewhere like London or New York, you should probably expect that you'll be paying way more for a coffee than you would at home. It's just the way it is.

I've never been to London and have to been to New York several times, but I'm going to have to say London.

I'm going to say I base this on music and, without getting into too much detail, will say that London would be where I would go to to see live acts that I want to see. A sort of mecca for that (though, the UK, in general would do just as well). My avatar kinda hints at that story, though, eh?

However, it could be a certain sense of longing for a place I've never been.

I'm also a bit of an Anglophile, which sorta trumps most other considerations.

New York just doesn't do it for me though, admittedly, it has been more than a few years since I was last there. I find it to be over-hyped. As I do with Montreal and Vancouver. Shit, now I'm going off on a tangent.

London for me, thanks.

PS:I hope to visit London on my trip to Europe this spring.

PPS:My favourite films are those of the Guy Ritchie London gangster persuasion, so that sort of factors in my opinion of the place.

Last edited:
I'd take London, although I love both cities and would happily spend more time in either.

I don't know if it's "better" per se; it's a matter of personal preference. I love history, and London is just that much older. Both cities are full of history, London just has a longer history. The architecture in both cities is fascinating and interesting, but Westminster Abbey was started in 1066; I find that awe-inspiring. Both cities have great theatre, both have terrific restaurants. London has buildings with bullet holes on the sides of buildings (well, NYC probably does too but I haven't seen them yet) and strange pockets of rebuilt areas from the bombing in WW2. Everywhere you turn in London, there is history; NYC is working on that, but it hasn't had as long to create it. London has fortresses and castles, NYC has Trump Tower. Both are very multicultural cities but London felt more like home to me; probably my British roots. I can get a decent cup of tea in London, had a hard time finding one in NYC. London feels more polite than NYC to me. I think they're both terrific cities, but if I had to choose, I'd choose London. Also, once you're in London, it's a quick hop to the Continent.

London's ideal location, which in many ways is the "centre of the western world," is a big plus in London's column. Hopping to the continent for the weekend is the norm when one lives in London.

NYC is a bit more affordable though, which is a plus in its column.

I also prefer to live in a country with health care and gun control (even if pub-type violence is common). NYC is better for art, London is better for music.

Really you can make plus and minus' for each all day, but at the end of the day they always come out pretty close to a wash for me.

In my post above I mentioned the London Walks. I think it's something people on this message board would be really interested in if they're ever in London. It's only 5 pounds and you can easily take up a few hours walking with some of the best tour guides in the world. A lot of them are apparently West end theatre actors, so they are very good speakers and very animated. They also tell really fascinating historical stories about seemingly boring places and they know their architecture/urban history very well. They even do tours of some of the museums in the city as well as some tours to places outside of London (just looked and they're going to Oxford, Bath and Salisbury this summer).

When we were in London in April 08, we did two of the walks (The Jack the Ripper Tour, which is their most popular, and the most touristy of all their walks, and The Ancient City at Night) and both were some of the greatest experiences I've had as a tourist anywhere. As an example, on The Ancient City at Night tour, we visited a wine bar that has been in existance since before the Great Fire of 1666. It was one of the few buildings to survive and they even had wine bottles that dated to before the Fire. You wouldn't even know the place existed, nor would you stumble upon it because of its location. Just really cool

Here's the link: http://www.walks.com/
I'd suggest if you're going to London check it out.

The Mayor of London has admitted that he thinks New York "feels" much safer. I believe there's a much stronger police presence in New York, and gun laws are pretty strict in New York City in comparison to the country. But I agree, politically, the UK seems a lot wiser.

I have never been to New York city but I have been to London more than once and I adore the city because it somehow makes one want to walk around it. London does hurt ones feet but it's well worth the cites. Most large cities have an element of danger so walking alone is just nuts.

Last edited:
Coool: How much of the outer boroughs did you actually visit?
Which parts of NYC has a gritty feeling to you?
If you are thinking Manhattan's Alphabet City/Lower East Side or the Meatpacking District I do agree there!
There are MANY sections of the outer boroughs that are quite nice-much of Queens for example does NOT have a "third world" look!

This is an interesting comparison between NYC and London-cities of similar size,financial powerhouses for their respective countries and Capital Cities-if you consider the presence of the UN in NYC could be considered the "World Capitol" just to name a few points...
LI MIKE

Back