News   Jul 24, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 645     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 663     1 

New York VS London?

I doubt there is a person on this planet who would not jump at the chance to visit the big apple!

To be honest, I never did venture outside of Manhattan other than going from LaGuardia to Midtown. But Queens did not really seem to nice. Although, Forest Hills and the surrounding areas seem nice. Astoria and Jackson Heights looked kind of run down. The Lower East Side as a whole was run down, but it had character.

I love New York, but one of my concerns living there would be waking up everyday in the American political system. The perception of the US as a bible-thumping area makes me not want to live there, because in contrast, Canada is much more tolerant. And that's something I really appreciate in a city or a country. And the US seems to be one of the worst at being bigoted.

I love New York, but one of my concerns living there would be waking up everyday in the American political system. The perception of the US as a bible-thumping area makes me not want to live there, because in contrast, Canada is much more tolerant. And that's something I really appreciate in a city or a country. And the US seems to be one of the worst at being bigoted.

No offense, but that kind of sweeping generalization strikes me as being somewhat bigoted.

I stand by my statement. I find it absolutely appalling the US still has Don't Ask, Don't Tell when we're living in 2010. In California (the most liberal state), the population voted to re-ban gay marriage and in Florida they took away adoption rights for gay couples. Perhaps the hardest pill to swallow is the fact that a lot of Americans are adamant on being able to access guns. It really shows you where their values are. For the richest country in the world, it is strange they seem to be so far behind. I know this doesn't represent every individual living in the US, but the fact some of these backwards ideas have such strong support frightens me.

Let's not dismiss these points as an anti-America sentiment. Either way, it doesn't change the difference of the facts.

New York City hands down (Well Manhattan to be precise). London is too geographical spread out, and too many bars close too early! lol

I lived/worked in NYC for a year and it just zipped by.

And it's true, the enery and exuberance that emminates from the city really can't be found in london (or at least the time I was there).
The only issue I have with NYC is how the boroughs have really ugly brick facade homes.

And the people, Americans that live in cities are generally reasonable and have very similiar views. The problem is that there is also a majority that represent the bible-thumping demographic, and they are usually louder and in your face.

I would ultimately choose Toronto however. I love the city life but both are WAY too busy to to deal with for extended lengths.

p.s. Vancouver is not overated. The only thing it's missing is a vibrant nightlife and perhaps, a little character/grittyness in the city. The way it is now, It's a little too vanilla.

Last edited:

Back