News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.8K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 686     1 

New Transit Funding Sources

The dropping of the HST hike is the key part. If (as predicted) they replace it with a corporate tax hike, NDP will probably support it.

This means the tax will be significantly less than previously anticipated.

With a smaller tax increase city council will need to make some tough choices about which transit projects to build. To fund the two really important projects (DRL and GO expansion) we might need to cancel other projects. Hopefully this is an opportunity to kill bad projects like Sheppard LRT.

This means the tax will be significantly less than previously anticipated.

With a smaller tax increase city council will need to make some tough choices about which transit projects to build. To fund the two really important projects (DRL and GO expansion) we might need to cancel other projects. Hopefully this is an opportunity to kill bad projects like Sheppard LRT.

I think the tax revenue will still be the same. It's only a matter of choosing what kinds of taxes people are willing to implement or increase.

The dropping of the HST hike is the key part. If (as predicted) they replace it with a corporate tax hike, NDP will probably support it.

As long as it's revenue-neutral, I'm fine with it. I think they also had a problem in that the HST hike would have needed to be implemented province-wide, in order to ease implementation.

Toronto benefits the entire province.

What makes you think that the HST revenue from all across the Province would go to the GTHA? If it was implemented, I would be pretty vocal about Ottawa's HST money staying in Ottawa. Ditto for K-W, London, etc.

In my experience the express trains are busier than the local trains so the Exhibition passenger definitely does not cost GO as much as an Oakville passenger. Of course if you expand Union capacity and add service then this is less of an issue, and there will be a massive increase in non-Union trips.

30 minute service has been a huge improvement, it makes the line much more convenient. when 15 minute service is introduced this line will effectively operate as S-bahn type service (if not quite as well) for passengers. If that level of service can be coupled with strong bus connections at every stop, the line has the potential to be a great asset for the city.

Back