News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

New Transit Funding Sources

Toronto is currently in the process of lowering Commercial rates so that they are the same as the suburbs. They have basically frozen commercial rates until 2017 or something like that to allow for inflation to play catch-up. Today those rates are higher, but in 5-10 years they won't be.

That's one reason behind Toronto having to look at other revenue tools, such as the vehicle registration fee (which Robbie wants to do without).

Yonge and the DRL? because "oops, we actually can't find efficiencies, and we wouldn't dare raise taxes!"

I was going to say DRL because DRL = downtown elite line + common sense, but I actually agree with you. The PC will probably just cancel everything, build absolutely nothing, and take credit for the scarborough subway which the liberals funded. What a bunch of idiots.

Its not like this money hasn't already been assigned projects, the $34 billion has been assigned to different projects across the GTA. You can't just shift $3 billion from one project to another, thats a big chunk of funding.

The Big Move is just a laundry list of assorted projects, many of which will undoubtedly be changed. Many of these projects have never had environmental assessments done. Also the province has a track record of giving in to every bad transit plan city council manages to come up with, so I don't see that changing.

Also it seems like the tax increase will likely be much smaller than originally proposed. I sort of suspect that after dividing up the money the amount that Toronto will get will be too small to fund the full cost of the DRL. Suppose 40% of the tax revenue only amounts to 2 or 3 billion or so, but it will cost at least 5 billion to build the DRL between Don Mills/Eglinton and Union. Then city council must either raise taxes or cancel LRT lines or cancel the McCowan subway to fill in the gap.

Of course could do the obvious and make the 905ers pay.

Toronto is fortunate in having the only municipal freeways in the region and has 3 to boot.

The DVP, Gardiner, and Allen should all be told and after a certain percentage is set aside for maintenance of those roads, the rest could go towards TTC operations and making GO part of the standard TTC fare. All the have to do is toll the roads and for a flat $25 a year, Torontonians get a decal they put on their window which does not add the toll. This isn't rocket science kids.

The politicians and citizens of Toronto would love it................get money from the 905 and Toronto gets all the construction jobs, operational funding, cheap GO fares, and ribbon cutting it could ever want. The 905ers will bitch but who cares? There is not a damn thing they{ or the province} could do about it.

Of course could do the obvious and make the 905ers pay.

Toronto is fortunate in having the only municipal freeways in the region and has 3 to boot.

The DVP, Gardiner, and Allen should all be told and after a certain percentage is set aside for maintenance of those roads, the rest could go towards TTC operations and making GO part of the standard TTC fare. All the have to do is toll the roads and for a flat $25 a year, Torontonians get a decal they put on their window which does not add the toll. This isn't rocket science kids.

The politicians and citizens of Toronto would love it................get money from the 905 and Toronto gets all the construction jobs, operational funding, cheap GO fares, and ribbon cutting it could ever want. The 905ers will bitch but who cares? There is not a damn thing they{ or the province} could do about it.

I.. I kinda like that Idea. Charge $60 annually for people living outside of Toronto to use all municipal highways. You can purchase a transponder at cost, or it can be integrated into the 407 transponder. You just have to pay an annual fee when renewing your plate anywhere in Ontario, if you can prove residency in Toronto the fee is waived. Stick tranponder readers at the entry point to every municipal highway (401 for DVP and allen, 427 for Gardiner) to keep setup costs down. if you cross the border without a transponder, an $5-$10 flat fee is billed to your licence plate registered address. This could easily generate millions in annual revenue for the city, provided the Province is willing to help with setting it up at their Service Ontario locations.

I was going to say DRL because DRL = downtown elite line + common sense, but I actually agree with you. The PC will probably just cancel everything, build absolutely nothing, and take credit for the scarborough subway which the liberals funded. What a bunch of idiots.

I'm genuinely surprised that RoFo hasn't taken credit for the Spadina Subway. I think he's just pretending that it doesn't exist :rolleyes:

Either that, or the idiot doesn't know that exists. Remember, this is the same guy who had no clue where the SRT was.

I.. I kinda like that Idea. Charge $60 annually for people living outside of Toronto to use all municipal highways. You can purchase a transponder at cost, or it can be integrated into the 407 transponder. You just have to pay an annual fee when renewing your plate anywhere in Ontario, if you can prove residency in Toronto the fee is waived. Stick tranponder readers at the entry point to every municipal highway (401 for DVP and allen, 427 for Gardiner) to keep setup costs down. if you cross the border without a transponder, an $5-$10 flat fee is billed to your licence plate registered address. This could easily generate millions in annual revenue for the city, provided the Province is willing to help with setting it up at their Service Ontario locations.

Just watch how quickly those highways would be uploaded to the province if a PC government were to be elected.

Well if they do that I suppose we could just toll them at the highway exit.

I also say charge them for parking anywhere in the city as well.

I'm sorry but this has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard, and every time I hear it on these boards I just want to bash something against a brick wall.

First of all, it will never happen.

Second of all, if you're going to go to the trouble of such a thing, why in the world would you waive the fee for Torontonians???

I agree. This us vs them thing needs to stop. Many Torontonians also use their own municipal highways, as well as 905 roads.

Back