News   Jul 23, 2024
 539     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 612     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.9K     3 

New Cumberland Station Entrance

Ooh! It looks nice and a definite improvement over the bomb-shelter-like entrance that exists now. And it is good to see it's going ahead and will be done this year.

Existing
n122602698_35129116_1119.jpg

Planned
n122602698_35129117_1447.jpg

How is that worth $600,000????? I don't get it. Isn't there better things to spend half a million dollars on?

Looks cool, but... Is the person swishing around with a bag in the middle-left a male or female? It was a lovely choice to add into a photoshopped image:

n122602698_35129117_1447.jpg

Looks cool, but... Is the person swishing around with a bag in the middle-left a male or female?

Methinks it's a woman ;), just a hunch.

Anyway I think there's something quaint and charming about the existing structure but if we must fix up the ugly duckling to match the upper echelons of Yorkville glitz and refinery, oh well.

Nothing screams improved service and reasons to ride transit better than adding very little to zilch to existing infrastructure all the while razing perfectly tolerable station appearences in the name of "art", right :rolleyes: !?!

The report says the cost is now $855,000.
How is the change worth that much???
Demolish one section of wall, install a window wall and add new stone cladding over the old cladding everywhere else.

Demolish one section of wall, install a window wall and add new stone cladding over the old cladding everywhere else.

Fitting glass is a reflective surface, seeing how whomever's planning this project is well versed in the art of veils, smoke screens and mirrors- i.e. I smell a scam :rolleyes:. Hopefully the cash spike will nip this proposal in the bud, that or public outcry for something better than 1980s era buses to work.

If you read the whole report, you'd see that they have to replace the entire structure since it doesn't meet current standards for the necessary electrical systems. Basically, they're tearing it down.

The cost sounds about right, since it'll probably include rehabilitating the staircase and tunnel section directly connected to the entrance.

I might have skimmed over this on the report, but I did see that it was requested by the Bloor-Yorkville BIA... I failed to see whether or not they are contributing to the costs of the project though. It seems like a BIA-driven improvement.

Thanks - just read the summary up front.
Still think the project isn't really necessary.
So how much would a BIA ordinarily contribute to projects like this?

Construction is for this season, I trust it will be done by the time snow flies again later this year... assuming climate change doesn't give us snow earlier than the usual expected November timeline.

...or if it becomes a TTC make work project and slowly finished over two years ;)

Back