News   Jul 24, 2024
 77     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 582     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 635     1 

New Cumberland Station Entrance

The woman in the photo is on her way to eat that little man walking on the sidewalk... Otherwise, station entrance remake looks pretty good

p5

So if 75 per cent of funding for the $855,000 cost is going to come from "other sources" does this mean the city's portion will only be $213,000-ish? Doesn't seem outrageous?

As far as the bet goes....I think Bloor Street streetscape will definitely get done first, there is so much momentum and the TTC is notoriously slow on these things. I'm surprised we don't have to do an environmental assessment for the subway station project.

Why does it have to be so expensive? I can build a 3000 sq.ft house and furnish/decorate it for less than that.

Heck, I can buy a house, demolish it and build a new one and still have money left over.

Knowing the TTC, I can probably have the house built in less time than the new station entrance too.

Other Sources

The 'other sources' referred to for this project is money obtained from developers under a 'section 37' agreement.

When a developer asks for significantly more density that the OP permits they are required to enter an agreement to provide 'Community Benefits' under Section 37 of the Planning Act.

In this case one of the local developments, I don't remember which off hand; I'm thinking it might have been the Hazelton or 100 Yorkville, but I'm not sure, provided the first 600K or so for this project.

This was supposed to be 100% of the project budget.

However, upon detailed engineering and design it became apparent that if they meddled with the structure the way the intitial design suggested, the building might be de-stabilized; besides, never waste an opportunity to fix old infrastructure while doing cosmetic work nearby!

So now their calling for demolition all the way down to the mezzanine level.

The cost still does seem high to me, but I'm betting its covering alot of design and engineering costs, including at least 3 sets of drawings that I know of.

However, I'm all for making the subway a bit more upscale looking, its important that it not appear to be a service merely for students, seniors and the poor.

This is also a tourist area, so I figure its money well spent.

I get it now: the TTC's new policy is to not clean or maintain stations and just wait to demolish and renovate after a decade or three has passed</sarcasm>

Back