News   May 07, 2024
 442     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 396     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 894     3 

National Post Columnist: Tax Cyclists

cdl and cass, absolutely. I think that basically everybody does the same thing, which is to balance their knowledge of the law with other factors such as the penalties for non-compliance, the probability of being caught, the perception of the danger (or lack of it) their activities bring on themselves or others, and, most importantly, the societal norms in which we operate. Different people making these same judgements will come to somewhat different conclusions and thus behave differently. I'm sure few cyclists would signal a right turn in a residential neighbourhood in Etobicoke on a quiet Sunday with no traffic around, though it is the law that they must do so. Between that and behaving crazily, there is some difference for a range of opinion.

What I object to is the notion that some people have put forward that the law is the law and they obey it faithfully and so should everyone else.

I think that the most reckless thing I've ever done is talk on my phone while riding. Scary stuff.

Actually, I confess to having talked on the cell while biking but just once. It is scary. I'll usually either just ignore it or pull off the road.

When departing from a curb?

You don't have to signal when departing from a curb unless you are pulling out in front of somebody.

if in turning the vehicle the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by the movement

Probably a good thing to signal a car that you intend to pull out in front of them so you don't get hit.

This thread gives me the perfect excuse to show off my bike, what do other people ride?

137939294.jpg

^^That reminds me, I do have to do a tune-up. But the elements are nothing to be afraid of. Keep an eye on cabbies, they're much more liable to dislike your presence; in every city I've biked in, they're certainly out to get me).

Oh, I remember it was last year or somesuch, that a cyclist, a ttc rider, and and motorist had a race to get downtown, will there be a rematch this year?

Back