News   May 08, 2024
 889     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2K     3 

National Post Columnist: Tax Cyclists

U

unimaginative2

Tax monsters on two wheels

Why make drivers enrich city coffers and give cyclists a free ride?

Jacob Richler

The annual City of Toronto budget shortfall weighs heavily on me, and I like doing my part. So obviously I was thrilled when one recent morning, after dropping the kids off early at school, and lingering there foolishly to chat with one of their teachers, I returned to my car parked out front in the school dropoff zone to find that some intrepid traffic cop had slipped a parking ticket to my windscreen, setting me back $30 – or $31.50 if I were actually inconsiderate enough to pay it promptly over the phone by credit card.

“You should fight that,†the teacher said.

How exactly, I wondered. By taking a day off work to wait in line at court all day, only to risk blurting out in counter-testimony against the offending traffic cop, “All I was doing was dropping my kids off at school sop that when they grow up they can do something a little more interesting than you.â€

“No, no,†I said. “If I took a day off every time this happened, I wouldn’t be able to pay my property taxes. An din any case, I’m just doing my bit – you know the City of Toronto raised $75-million from parking tags last year? Isn’t that great?â€

Yes, I’m really doing my best to come to terms with the idea that taxing cars at every possible opportunity helps the city raise much-needed funds for valuable initiatives like hiring new garbage inspectors to make sure we don’t slip recyclables into our periodically collected green bags, or fining business owners who don’t have the time to clean up after young hooligans who spray graffiti on their walls, and taxpaying homeowners who actually go to work by day and thus cannot take two hours off in the afternoon to shovel snow off their sidewalk.

My regret is that the $2,000 or $3,000 I cough up each year to cover my parking fines before renewing my plates is just not enough. The city still needs more, but does not know where to get it. But I do.

The epiphany came to me yesterday in a blinding flash – or actually, in an irritating thud, when there I was, driving up Yonge Street minding my own business when suddenly a cyclist ran a stop sign and cut me off. Deciding in the generous spirit of spring to hit the brakes and spare his life, I also hit the horn and was greeted by the finger and then – as I pulled alongside – a bang on the roof.

Cyclists.

It’s tempting, I know, but one should not hate them just because they are the righteous vegans of the road, freeloaders who use roads built on the hard-working backs of motorists, and who get around without contributing gas taxes, or helping the local automotive industry or anything useful at all. It’s tempting to hate them, but we shouldn’t. Instead, we should tax them.

I was just looking over the list of fines available for application to those little monsters on two wheels, and the unreaped possibilities are astounding. When’s the last time you saw a bicycle with “improper bicycle lighting� OK, the fine for that under the Ontario Highway Act is just $20 - $35 when you throw in court costs and the “victim fine surcharge.†But when you get into “improper brakes†or a “defective horn,†we’re talking $85 – or $110 when all is said and done.

Disobey a stop sign? $110. Pass a streetcar? $110. Improper turn? $110. Fail to yield to a pedestrian? $110. Fail to stop at an amber light? $110. Drive wrong way on a one-way street? $110. Pass a streetcar improperly? $110. Ride two on a bicycle? $110. Unsafe lane change? $110.

In short, everything you see every cyclist do every time you see one is worth $110. We cannot afford to ignore this potential harvest. Let’s go for it.

National Post

I would be in favour of taxing cyclists if it ment that they would receive something from it ie. more bike lanes, more enforcement of drivers disregard for cyclists, more bike parking etc.

But that isnt likely to happen so I see no reason for cyclists to be taxed as things stand now.

Normally I find Jacob Two Two to be an insufferable arrogant jerk (and I guess his wife did too, to judge from her recent columns in the Globe, but I digress) but I agree with him on the point that cyclists who disobey the traffic laws should be fined.

There should be a hefty fine for idiots who bike on the sidewalk as there seems to be a lot of this in certain areas.

I definitely agree that police should punish cyclists for driving offenses. The average cyclist is much more reckless than the average driver, and that puts everyone at risk. However there should not be a bicycle tax. Cyclists pay the same municipal taxes to maintain roads as drivers, the only difference being that cylcists only have exclusive use of 1% of the network.

I pay taxes to all 3 levels of government, plus the PST and GST - yet do not own a car... does that mean I have less of a right to the roads? Because I am smart enough to not waste my money on a car, gas, insurance?

And, ol' Jacob doesn't seem to know that difference between a tax and a fine. Maybe it's because he's a food critic.

I agree there should be more enforcement of cyclists, but before this can happen, motorist education should be a top priority. Cab drivers are the worst offenders, and especially those with cell-phones.

"Because I am smart enough to not waste my money on a car, gas, insurance?"

Do you live in Pickering but work in Brampton?

"Because I am smart enough to not waste my money on a car, gas, insurance?"

Do you live in Pickering but work in Brampton?

Although I can't answer for JoeyC, I can for myself. According to Statistics Canada 7/8 of Canadians' commutes were 25 km or less (one way), while mine for the past two years have been 25 km (50 km round-trip) by bicycle.

I live in Pickering and work downtown and take my bike every day. GO Train (of course :) ) to Union then bike the rest of the way.

As a biker I break some of the rules sometimes. But do 100 drivers really want to be stuck behind me going down Queen West because I've decided to exercise my right to use the full lane? I tend to ride by my own rules which are "do whatever is safe - not just for me". Ironically, I've been hit twice in the last 6 months, both times while obeying the laws.

As far as paying a cyclist tax, I'll pay that if it guarantees me a bike lane on every road in the city.

A case of: "I don't like what I have to deal with, so screw that guy."

Mordecai's genes have been diluted in this offspring.

When cops see cyclists breaking the law, they give them tickets. I'm not sure where the impression that cyclists get away with everything came from.

I'm sure they ignore lots too, just as they ignore some automobile infraction. But Chuck100 seems to have the line on what the average cyclist and motorist does.

Mordecai's genes have been diluted in this offspring.

no kidding. his kids are the kinds of people he would have ridiculed in his books.

Back