News   May 08, 2024
 375     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 710     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.6K     3 

National Post Columnist: Tax Cyclists

mpolo:

Everyone who breaks the law should be fined.

I agree. Let's start with the 401, where vehicular speeds are consistently above the legal speed limit.

AoD

Do you live in Pickering but work in Brampton?

This is besides the point, but no. I live in the east end and work downtown. I chose this. I do not work and live in the city by accident. They were both conscious decisions.

If we were to ticket everyone (motorized or no) for everything they did wrong, then when the highways aren't jammed up, everyone should get a ticket, since everyone goes faster than 100 kph.

It's funny that no one notices that there are no cyclists on 400-series highways, yet somehow traffic gets jammed up on those roads too... hmmm, an unsolved mystery!

Oh yeah... my taxes pay for part of the highways too, yet I never use them... should I get a refund?

I walk to work, but I consider myself a heavy cycling nonetheless. I'll say a few things about breaking the law on a bike:

1) Some laws are really hard to respect when you are sitting on a bike. For instance, four way stops in residential neighbourhoods, where frequently you can see enough in several directions to ensure your safety and that you are not cutting someone off simply by slowing down. I can't recall ever having seen a cyclist in such a situation actually stop.

2) I ride on sidewalks. In suburban areas on major arterials, I balance my desire for enhanced safety with the pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk and make a choice. If I see someone ahead on the sidewalk, I slow to a crawl beside them, or join the road momentarily.

3) One way streets. I've gone up one way streets many times, in fact I've cycled right beside bike cops while they were going up one way streets (and not in a hurry) and we all went merrily on our ways. I think it depends on the circumstance and the level of traffic, going up Richmond or Adelaide the wrong way is unsafe for cars and pedestrians, but to the half block to my apartment on Alexander I will always cycle, because it's more direct and I think safer than going around Wood, then Yonge, then Alexander to go the right way.

I think these are things that all cyclists would do. I don't care if I get a ticket, though it seems highly unlikely, because I've frankly done so much worse and right in front of police cars and they don't seem to care much. It's not that I'm advocating breaking the law, but I do believe that not once cyclist (not one!) adheres to the letter of the law while cycling, and that there are some reasons for doing so that arise from the very different beasts that bicycles and motorized vehicles are.

I should say that I think politeness to pedestrians and drivers is actually more important than the letter of the law. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I break a good many rules while cycling, but I am ashamed of those times when I've done things that annoy or frustrate other people, and when I do them I apologise if at all possible.

Wow, I think I can actually hear your finger wagging!

A finger that has never curved around a handle bar.
--
I think archivist's "evidence" for breaking the law amount to more than just convience.

We can also assume perhaps assume a finger that never gripped a steering wheel going -- horrors! -- 110 on the 401!

4-way stops. Why should bikes stop (I slow down if the way is clear and double-check, but stop if there are cars...) if cars don't?

If you sat at a 4-way stop and watched 100 cars come and go, how many would stop and how many would do the ultra-common "rolling stop"?

Oh, and while I don't adhere to the letter of the law (wrong way on one-way RESIDENTIAL streets, slow through stop signs, past open streetcar doors ONLY if the street is clear and no one is getting on and off), I've seen bike cops do far worse than I've ever done.

Richler is a knob. Having dealt with him in person he is as pompus as they come. Get off your freaking soap box - if it weren't for your last name you would be writing for NOW.

We should tax newspaper writers on page space usage in proportion to idiocy of column. Think of the windfall there! Royson, Hume, Richler ad infinitum. Cripes, Eckler alone could fund all of Manitoba's healthcare needs for the next century.

An interesting sidebar on taxation. Last issue of Esquire (maybe GQ) had a story on a rich Texan who is lobbying the goverment to tax anyone who is overweight according to their BMI. Ironically, he made all of his money on Mcdonalds stock in the 70's-80's.

I think it is unwise to assume where ap's finger has - or has not - been.

Speaking as someone who has been a pedestrian ever since I took my first steps, and who neither rides a bicycle nor drives a car, I must chime in to say that cyclists ( especially couriers ) are a far greater proven threat to me than motorists. Though, I think, less fatal in a head-on collision.

I'm suprised he gets about $2000-3000 dollars in parking fines a year; he must go out of his way to park illegally or something...

I'm suprised he gets about $2000-3000 dollars in parking fines a year; he must go out of his way to park illegally or something...

Well that is because he is from the privilaged set. You know...those who park wherever, whenever and deal with it later. What's the odd double park or blocking of a fire hydrant if you pay the fine at years end.

We should do what Finland does, i.e. parking fines are relative to ones income. It was in the news last year, a multi-millionaire ended up paying equivalent of more than $60,000 for a parking infraction.

I own a bike, which I drive in good weather. While wearing a helmet. And only on the street. I've drive whenever I need a car to do something (thanks Avis!). I don't feel the need to break the law to do so. Nor do I think "everybody else is doing it" is a an excuse for anything.

Back