News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
vox:

Actually I can see this instance blamed on depictions of violence in media and games. The black trenchcoat (?)/flak jacket(?) thing is a giveaway to where the discussion is going to go.

AoD

I think there is more of a correlation between crime and neighbourhood vs crime and race. These murders have very little to do with race. People are dying because of neighbourhood stigmas as opposed to cultural stigmas. These troubled neighbourhoods need help and blaming rap music isn't the answer.

An earlier post said that 21 of 29 (72%) of murder victims this year were black. I couldn't find similar statistics on those charged with murder. It would be interesting to know what that statistic is and also the ethnic make up in the various areas.

I would guess that neighbourhood is not as strong of a correlation, or the two factors is an even stronger correlation.

Just like males may have more severe traffic accidents than women. Teens and those in their early 20's have more severe accidents than those older. but male teens have the worst statistics for severe accidents. (I am not sure how correct this example actually is, but insurance companies keep saying it)

Last edited:
Correlation isn't causation - and without explaining causation, correlation is pretty pointless. In this instance. what does it suggest - that we should make policies on the basis of one's skin colour (which is what the popular interpretation of black stands for)? Beyond that, I am afraid you are mixing up concepts like "race", "visible minority" and ethnicity - which are not interchangable.

AoD

Marko i hear what your saying, its a pretty complex issue with no one reason, its many reasons why things happen.
Ground zero for black culture and intellectual thought in North America is in Harlem or NYC in general, what happens there ripples outward and effects people here. There has been many things that have undermind the efforts of positive people in music and the community for example - the positive political hip hop music in the late 80s early 90s where blackballed , the artist lost control of the music and the major record companies dictated what direction the music would head in. So money, pimp gangster was promoted while the real artist had the doors shut in there face.
Another example- crack hit the communities hard in the 80's and 90's , drug us sky rocketed which came from people outside the communities, at the same time Ronald Regan excellerated the so called war on drugs which is really a war on poor people, a war on black people and other visible minorities. You then see the mass privitization of the prison system creating a profit making business based on how many people you lock up so you have the businesses lobbying for harsher drug sentences, they where seeing dollar signs. Police brutality kicks into over drive creating a miss trust between the black people and the police which are now seen has aggressive authorities coming to the hood which is just picking grounds for the prisons to herd people into the camps called prisons. When the poor people get out of prison they become really bad people creating a viscious cylce of violence and crime that gets exported everywhere.

The drug war is a war on poor people plane and simple. with around 2 million people behind bars in the states, a huge portion are in there for non- violent drug offences. Then when you get out of prison you cant get a job cause of your record, and you cant vote for anyone in power that will listen to your cause, your screwed .

Last edited:
Since its extremly difficult to start over once you 've been to prison, the kids just conintue to sell drugs to make money, the alternative economy that will bring you cash quick.

Since people are desperate for money and the drugs fills that role, the only way to truely get rid of all these gangs is to put them out of business. How do you put gangs out of business?

by decriminalizing all drugs. Al capone went out of business when alchol users where no longer criminals, and crime went down.

Think its a crazy idea? try and keep an open mind and atleast consider the possibility that it'll work.

Portugal has decriminalized all drugs and the results are amazing , check out the link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unu-sbtp65A&list=UU1yBKRuGpC1tSM73A0ZjYjQ&index=3&feature=plcp

drug use dropped by 50%

Last edited:
Can someone please ascribe a racial explanation/causation to the Batman Massacre? I find the world is too complicated to deal with when I don't know which skin pigmentation to blame for a given crime. Please hurry; I'm starting to hyperventilate.
Not everything has a racial explanation, but you can bet that if that sort of thing happened in Toronto, repeatedly, that those of us discussing local problems would also be considering the "random SWM wacko gunman" issue in the same way we're discussing our current local problems.

Nice troll post, though. Entirely predictable and no more clever than your previous lame efforts. Do you have something positive to add?

Last edited:
Just because some of "those of us discussing local problems" would consider "skin pigment" as a causal factor in behaviour doesn't mean that skin pigment is a causal factor in behaviour.

Is that positive or negative?

Nice troll post, though. Entirely predictable and no more clever than your previous lame efforts. Do you have something positive to add?
Troll post? Seemed to be a very effective commentary on some of the stuff being said here.

Obviously there's no link between skin colour and the tendency to commit crimes. Some here would suggest otherwise, ignoring the other factors in play.

Not everything has a racial explanation, but you can bet that if that sort of thing happened in Toronto, repeatedly, that those of us discussing local problems would also be considering the "random SWM wacko gunman" issue in the same way we're discussing our current local problems.

It's exactly what you and some others have been doing in this thread and the little italy shooting thread.

I was lead to believe that this was a black problem. Yet, here we have a white dude shooting up an entire theater. We will see a very different commentary on this story though.

Funny how you react to a post that mirrors many of the posts you've been making.

Roots made some very good points that I had alluded to. I mean, if we're going to discuss this issue, lets put all the cards on the table.

Last edited:
Can someone please ascribe a racial explanation/causation to the Batman Massacre? I find the world is too complicated to deal with when I don't know which skin pigmentation to blame for a given crime. Please hurry; I'm starting to hyperventilate.

Rob Ford would probably start a war on Ph.D students. Is that good enough?

Talk about a brutal summer. It's just non-stop gun violence.
Bullets flew at Jane St. and Bloor St. W. Friday night, injuring two people.

The victims, so far unidentified, sustained injuries to their legs and arms. Their condition is said to be non-life threatening.

Shots rang out shortly before midnight, just a few hours after a male in 30s was shot in the head at Jane St. and Finch Ave. W.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1230011--double-shooting-at-jane-and-bloor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back