866     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
About half the photos I've seen relating to the Colorado movie theatre shooting have black people in them.

The shooter also apaprently lived in a neighbourhood where gang violence was common, i.e. a black neighbourhood.

Also, one the people in the theatre at the time of shooting is named Mr. Coon.

Just because some of "those of us discussing local problems" would consider "skin pigment" as a causal factor in behaviour doesn't mean that skin pigment is a causal factor in behaviour.

Is that positive or negative?
So, when you heard a lone gunman went and shot up a Colorado movie theater with automatic weapons, you didn't think "random crazy white guy" like I did?

Indeed. One of the people killed in the Colorado Batman shooting had been at the Eaton Centre at the time of the Eaton Centre shooting.

CM: That young woman was Jessica Ghawi - who wrote about visiting Toronto and being at the Eaton Centre at the time of the
shooting incident there...This is just horrible circumstance here...

For more information about her and her blog Google "Jessica Ghawi Blog"...

The Aurora,Colorado Massacre is a shocking incident involving US gun violence...

The facts I find most interesting is that the shooter got all his guns legally and since he had
no Police record or mental health history he probably would have easily passed a background check...

I also find interesting that there is little support in the US to further control firearms thanks to the
all-powerful NRA and Gun Lobby in particular-especially during a Presidential Election Year...

Is this type of incident the "price" that the US has to pay at times for having easy access to firearms?
It definitely seems so...Marko: Answering your question-YES

This may very well change Theatre security permanently-especially for late night features perhaps...
Attending a Midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" may never well be the same...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Let everyone have the right to bear arms...

...arms of the type that existed in the year the Second Amendment in the United States was adapted, December 15, 1791.

Assault weapons, machine guns, and other high powered firearms, of course, did not exist in 1791, so they would not be allowed. Only firearms that existed by 1791 would be allowed. Simple.

Let everyone have the right to bear arms...

...arms of the type that existed in the year the Second Amendment in the United States was adapted, December 15, 1791.

Assault weapons, machine guns, and other high powered firearms, of course, did not exist in 1791, so they would not be allowed. Only firearms that existed by 1791 would be allowed. Simple.

or this ... how could it have been misconstrued ?!?

http://technipol.tumblr.com/post/2874977984/family-guy-the-right-to-bear-arms

To all the posters who railed againt me for suggesting there was a media bias to put Scarborough down here is a local councillor Norm Kelly suggesting the same.
Your going to suggest that we take either Norm Kelly or the Toronto Sun seriously? Norm Kelly is a disgrace to his community, with his attempts to cancel transit expansion in his ward - it's no wonder that Council removed him from the TTC. And the Toronto Sun? Really? How about a real newspaper.

I've seen some media outlets refer to it as a Toronto shooting. Is that media bias as well? The shooting was in Toronto after all.

I've seen some media outlets refer to it as a Toronto shooting. Is that media bias as well? The shooting was in Toronto after all.

I'm pretty sure malvern2 was discussing the tendencies of media, rather than describing them in terms of absolutes. I would have thought you would know the difference.

Scarborough had/has a simple, easy-to-remember boundary, and it's kind of monolithic due to a relative lack of distinct neighbourhoods, other than Malvern. So why exactly is it so hard to believe that the media have a higher tendency to make reference to the old municipality when describing events in Scaborough?

Scarborough had/has a simple, easy-to-remember boundary, and it's kind of monolithic due to a relative lack of distinct neighbourhoods, other than Malvern. So why exactly is it so hard to believe that the media have a higher tendency to make reference to the old municipality when describing events in Scaborough?
It's not hard to believe at all. It's the suggestion that it's some kind of nefarious plot that I can't wrap my head around, along with the suggestion that we should refer to it by another name, such as Gdańsk.

To all the posters who railed againt me for suggesting there was a media bias to put Scarborough down here is a local councillor Norm Kelly suggesting the same.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/20/a-place-with-no-name

On the most asinine grounds. I mean, really: if you want to defend yourself, can't you do better than that? Quoting Norm Kelly in the Toronto Sun?

Look, as I've said before: maybe the repeated references to "Scarborough" may have something backhanded to do with Scarborough actually having such a strong positive identity, even now, 15 years after mega-amalgamation. A strong identity, historically, culturally, etc.

And as I've said before, but may I direct it to you, malvern2: prove your Scarberian mettle. Without Googling, do you know who Doris McCarthy is?

Because I'll betcha 10 to 1 that these Scarberians who are so self-conscious about their identity that they rally for Rob Ford, *wouldn't* be able to identify her. Because they're "taxpayers", pure and simple. Scarborough is little more than "a place to live" for them--all the cultural/historical stuff is pointy-headed stuff. As Rob Ford would say, they're too busy "working hard and earning their keep" to notice, or care, etc.

But as far as I'm concerned, they're the insults to Scarborough. They're the one's who fuel its degraded no-man's land identity.

And the funny thing is: I'll betcha Rob Ford is the same viz. Etobicoke. You certainly can't see him penning an ode to his turf a la London's "embarrassing right-wing mayor" Boris Johnson.

So...here's a Rob Ford-versus-the-gangs-and-immigrants-esque Scarborough-cultural-literacy proposal to you, malvern2. If you can't identify Doris McCarthy without Googling, tasteless, philistine garbage line you doesn't belong in Scarborough. Get out of Scarborough; get out. Go to the yokelville where you belong. Okay?

(Of course, that last paragraph might as well constitute a "projected" Ford critique in its own right.)

(

Where he was born is where he was born. Magnotta is from the GTA. His only conntection to Montreal is the victim.

And, you know.. the actual crimes committed.

I could argue that his only connection to Toronto is that he was pushed out of his mother here. The Luka Magnotta murder is 100% a Montreal issue. Just as Ted Bundy was not a Vermont issue.

Interesting observations. A black man was interviewed last week and said, in no uncertain terms, that it is a black on black problem. Is this still racism, or as with use of the N-word is the racism factor removed when a black person is using it?

Second, a white woman who is a resident of the neighborhood was interviewed and spouted the type of "too many cops here in the neighborhood", "cops just come here to harass people" the type of things I'd expect to hear from someone (regardless of race) wearing a bubble jacket and jeans down below their knees. Instead she just looked like your regular typical neighbor.

So yes neighborhood and makeup of said neighborhood has an effect. If the same shooting happened in a wealthier Forest Hill neighborhood do you think people would be wasting their time talking about race or criticizing police for simply "being there" or would they be doing their best to assist the police in apprehending the criminal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back