News   Jul 15, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

MPPs vote to continue using Lord's Prayer; would you scrap it or keep it?

do you support daily recital of the lord’s prayer in the ontario legislature?

• Total voters
I find it mildy offensive when someone refers to it as the "Catholic school problem". If anyone has actually attended a Catholic school, you'd know very well that they're not much different than a regular public school. At least in terms of high school.

I feel like this debate is similar to the Monarchy debate. Which really gets tiresome after a while.

And you may also have a key to Kormos's own brand of paradoxically pragmatic political survival there. (In a constituency with a strong Franco-Catholic undercurrent, yet.)

I like the idea of pluralism. Have the prayers of other religious groups included. Although it isn't rooted Western notions of individualism and individual rights, Ontario --and Canada in general-- is becoming less Western everyday and prides itself on multiculteralism. Why not acknowledge that multiculteralism in the provincial legislature in some small way?

I like the idea of pluralism. Have the prayers of other religious groups included. Although it isn't rooted Western notions of individualism and individual rights, Ontario --and Canada in general-- is becoming less Western everyday and prides itself on multiculteralism. Why not acknowledge that multiculteralism in the provincial legislature in some small way?

at the very least, the government should be neutral on religion. there is no way to be neutral by endorsing the larger faiths by saying prayer in the ontario legislature. you can't "appease" agnosticism because it is not a belief or organization.

the government should in no way endorse such religions as christianity (i'll use that as an example because i'm a former roman catholic) because the bible asks of things and instructs you to do things which are illegal in canada.

now i know most people are "moderates" (they adhere to a watered down/ cherry picked doctrine) but it doesn't matter. would you allow the klan to burn a cross on the lawn of queens park because most most white supremacists are watered down moderates that just think they're better than everyone else (much like gods chosen people) and don't go around killing people?

the government should in no way endorse such religions as christianity (i'll use that as an example because i'm a former roman catholic) because the bible asks of things and instructs you to do things which are illegal in canada.

now i know most people are "moderates" (they adhere to a watered down/ cherry picked doctrine) but it doesn't matter. would you allow the klan to burn a cross on the lawn of queens park because most most white supremacists are watered down moderates that just think they're better than everyone else (much like gods chosen people) and don't go around killing people?

Oh great, another Richard Dawkins supporter who believes a world without religion will be a utopia... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh great, another Richard Dawkins supporter who believes a world without religion will be a utopia... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

is that the best argument you can come up with? to assume that just because a person is an atheist, richard dawkins is their personal god?

BTW, a world without religion won't be a utopia. if all the christian televangelists are correct, it will most likely be a fruitopia.

No, I was just teasing you guys.

However, a lot of new atheists these days are all part Richard Dawkins cult. Those guys really piss me off, not because they are atheists but how they sound as idiotic as religious fundamentalists. :D

No, I was just teasing you guys.

However, a lot of new atheists these days are all part Richard Dawkins cult. Those guys really piss me off, not because they are atheists but how they sound as idiotic as religious fundamentalists. :D

i'm a fan of dawkins myself. he's a good debater and proponent of science & rationality, etc. you can say he has a cult following if you want to be poetic, heck, even back to the future has a cult following in that sense but i wouldn't say it's a like literal cult. he's got a very resourceful website and i check it out from time to time. it's very informative, kinda like urban toronto. maybe us urban toronto forumers are also "cult like". come to think of it, from time to time, ed even passes around the collection plate. :eek: ;)

I don't really like Dawkins because in all the interviews I've seen, he comes off as cold. And that just seems to fuel the stereotype of the grumpy, unsatisfied athiest who has nothing in his life therefore becomes an athiest.

P.S. I support getting rid of all faith based institutions.

Back