News   May 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 340     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 357     0 

MPPs vote to continue using Lord's Prayer; would you scrap it or keep it?

do you support daily recital of the lord’s prayer in the ontario legislature?

• Total voters
I don't really like Dawkins because in all the interviews I've seen, he comes off as cold. And that just seems to fuel the stereotype of the grumpy, unsatisfied athiest who has nothing in his life therefore becomes an athiest.

you can't always take people's feelings into consideration when talking about such issues. sometimes the truth/reality is (or may seem) brutal. it's hard to find middle ground in these debates.

That's true, but I still think someone who gave off a nicer image (I know that sounds lame) would convince more people because they would see that being satisfied/charitable and being secular are not mutually exclusive.

Imo he is such a snobbish/elitist man and it really turns people off.

Doesn't change the fact that he is essentially correct in his claims, though.

That's true, but I still think someone who gave off a nicer image (I know that sounds lame) would convince more people because they would see that being satisfied/charitable and being secular are not mutually exclusive.

i don't think you can convince people to be secular. faith is something you must start to question on your own. when you're at that stage, you realize that you don't really care about presentation anymore but rather the content. his job isn't to be deepak chopra or tony robbins. if you have to be motivated by feel good attitudes instead of rationality, logic, etc, you're probably not ready to lose your faith just yet.

In honour of Pride Week, rather than using the Lord's Prayer, everyone in the chamber ought to be vogueing to "I Say A Little Prayer"

Doesn't change the fact that he is essentially correct in his claims, though.

His claims about there being not a God.

However his claims about how the world will be a great place afterwords are stupid.

I find it hard to believe that a rational logical person like him has such a idealistic opinion of human nature.

You are grossly oversimplifying his ideas and missing some very salient points.

His claims about there being not a God.

However his claims about how the world will be a great place afterwords are stupid.

I find it hard to believe that a rational logical person like him has such a idealistic opinion of human nature.

there will always be bad people in the world but at least in a world without religion, people who would have otherwise been good folk won't go around hating and killing people simply because they wear different hats.

and generally, when religion doesn't have a stranglehold on your mind, you tend to engage yourself in and embrace more intellectual thoughts which cuts down on irrationality. the more rational people are, the less likely they will engage in bad acts.

Despite many NDP'ers being secular, many of their vote actually isn't. Besides, Chris DiNovo is a United Church Minister.

The majority of Canadians identify with a religion, NDPers included. The NDP tends to do very well among those with no religion according to surveys, although at the same time some of their most heavily targeted seats (Davenport, York South-Weston, Hamilton Mountain, etc.) are heavily Catholic.

As for Cheri DiNovo, it's true she is a United Church minister, but the United Church is a very liberal religion and has tended to support the separation of church and state historically. It is still somewhat surprising and disappointing to hear DiNovo taking this position.

As for Cheri DiNovo, it's true she is a United Church minister, but the United Church is a very liberal religion and has tended to support the separation of church and state historically. It is still somewhat surprising and disappointing to hear DiNovo taking this position.

i find unitarians to be very liberal and non-imposing. i have no problem with people holding certain views and embracing faith for comfort. it's when every aspect of our society has to be drenched in the dogmas of certain groups' unproven beliefs and having those beliefs imposed on everyone else against their will that i have a problem.

why do faiths have to be forced on everyone?

True but I think the beliefs of atheist are starting to be forced down on people who believe in a God.

Its wrong in both ways however many of these left wing minded folk think its time for payback or that by doing so the world will become a peaceful place and a utopia.

True but I think the beliefs of atheist are starting to be forced down on people who believe in a God.

Its wrong in both ways however many of these left wing minded folk think its time for payback or that by doing so the world will become a peaceful place and a utopia.

are you retarded?

Back