News   Apr 19, 2024
 181     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 573     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Montreal beats out Toronto for catching world's eye as tourist destination

I'm the one who made the link, only because Montreal's tourism strategy take into account the city's orientation towards design through its architecture, stores, bars, hotels, etc. This doesn't mean that Montreal is better or more active in the design sector than Toronto, only that the city put an emphasis on that sector to attracts tourists who are interrested in design. Of course, being larger than Montreal, Toronto has more to offer. But when you take into account the difference in population and economic might of the two cities, Montreal fare pretty well.

The way i see it, Toronto and Montreal will grow more and more to become very different cities in ten to 15 years. And we'll all be the better for it, because we'll have two Canadian metropolis, with each one its own strengh. As a Montrealer, when I go to Toronto I have the sense of a city that is becoming futuristic and impressive for its sheer grandeur, while maintaining its funkyness. More and more, I will be able to skip New York when I want to experience a "very big city" rush, instead going to Toronto, which is closer and where I can use the same currency (yeah!) without having the pain of going through custom. Ten years ago, I don't think I would have make that choice (maybe because I didn't know Toronto well enough). Now I'm more and more excited everytime I'm planning a trip to Toronto. Being very much interrested in design and architecture, Toronto now seems like a must to me. And I think the city should put more emphasis on that to attract visitors. But that should not detract from the heritage side of Toronto. Everytime I go there, I wonder at the charms of Cabbagetown. Instead of focusing on the CN tower and the Eaton Center (a shopping mall, no matter how big and nice it is, remains a shopping center. Let Edmonton be the Canadian city where a shopping mall is the main attraction. Toronto has so much more to offer - same thing about Montreal's obsession with its so-called underground city; it's embarrassing).

As for Montreal, things are moving slower with more targeted efforts. We don't have the money to build an Opera house or large museum's expansion with star architects, so we concentrate on smaller interventions that adds up to make the city more and more beautiful and, therefore, more attractive to visitors. I'm always amaze by the transformations of Old Montreal, from a decrepit tourist trap 15 years ago to a wonderful, very well restaured historic district with tons of new restaurants, hotels, bars, art galleries and exlusive stores. Montreal takes advantage of what is has and goes from there to improve itself, slowly but surely. In 15 years, this city will be even smaller than Toronto, maybe with even less sheer energy, but it will become more beautiful than it ever was before, one street and one building at a time.

Very well put. I think you have a pretty good sense of the two cities.

How about this--we'll send you a starchitect if you send us some streetscaping.

I'm surprised that anyone would question the ability of good design to put a city on the map and attract visitors - Italy and Denmark used that power - producing quality design objects - to reinvent themselves and advance their economies after WW2, and establish a reputation for excellence. Toronto, Montreal and other major cities regularly host conventions, award shows and other gatherings for the global design community that bring in thousands of people working in those fields, and other visitors.

Good point. Montreal's image relies on its past, in the way that New Orlean's does. Toronto is happening now, which is building what will become its image in the future. This to me is far more exciting.

I'm always amazed that somebody will assess Toronto's international reputation based on an interaction with some uninformed or ignorant individual? In my travels I've met people who didn't really know a lot about the city, but I've also met a lot who did.

This raises an interesting question about how and why we choose to visit other cities. Personally, it's rare that there's one specific must-see or do that draws me to a city. My first time in New York, yes I went up the World Trade Centre and did MOMA but I mostly went to just be there. I wanted to ride the subway and stroll through Central Park as much as I wanted to shop on Fifth Avenue.

Same thing with my first visit to Chicago, there wasn't any particular touristy-type attraction that I absolutely had to see. I went to be in Chicago. To feel it, to breathe it, to meet the people, see what they're wearing, what music they're listening to. Montreal I visit very often, and there is never an "attraction" (in the conventional sense) on the list.

You raise a good point, St Even. Often, one will often visit a city in order to experience the general ambience of the place, and experience something of how it differs from where one lives, or the other cities one has visited.

Allow me to be touchy-feely for a moment.

Montreal is different from Toronto, and that is good. I see no reason for trying to make the two alike. As someone who grew up in Montreal, I really appreciate the sense that Toronto is still, if you will, figuring out what it wants to be when it grows up. There is still a palpable energy of working through this effort. It feels open with possibility.

In contrast, Montreal feels much more "mature," yet confident of its place. It has history and it has its own specific atmosphere to it that differs from that of Toronto. When I'm in Montreal, I get a sense of "this is who we are, and we're fine with it."

Interestingly, New York provides me with a similar sensation, but on a much more amplified level. New York is - well - New York. Just saying the name of the city is evocative. It's packed with meaning. Everyone in the know understands why New York has been, is, and will be, important.

Chicago has something of the same sensation as Toronto to me (but with a different history). Chicago is remaking itself, and there is still that feel of open possibility.

Anyone else have some touch feely analysis? No groping, though.

I think we need to be careful in this discussion not to limit the focus of tourism into too narrow a band of interests and demographics. Everyone is to some extent interested in design and the arts but not to the degree of the narrowly focused demographic that makes up most of this forum. What is of interest to a family with young children or someone with interests in sports, academics, nature and the environment etc., the elderly? Take sports as an example. It likely is just as if not more important as a driver of tourism than the arts or architecture.

Good point TrickyRicky. That's why this is a good discussion to have -- not to limit the focus of tourism but to broaden it. The more we focus on building a great city, the less "gimmicky" our tourism promotion needs to be. At some point, I'd like to see us advertising less about the things that make us just like everybody else, and focus a bit more on what distinguishes us from other cities.
So, the question is, what makes a person choose to visit city A or B. The answers will be different for everybody, naturally, but it's where the answers overlap....that's where Tourism Toronto could start looking for ideas.

And I think the city should put more emphasis on that (architecture) to attract visitors. But that should not detract from the heritage side of Toronto. Everytime I go there, I wonder at the charms of Cabbagetown. Instead of focusing on the CN tower and the Eaton Center (a shopping mall, no matter how big and nice it is, remains a shopping center.

I agree 100%. I think we'll see a revitalization of Toronto's more historic areas as well, but it may not be done as well as Montreal.

Let Edmonton be the Canadian city where a shopping mall is the main attraction. Toronto has so much more to offer - same thing about Montreal's obsession with its so-called underground city; it's embarrassing).

The West Ed is pretty embarassing these days as well. It is extremely outdated and tacky. All the indoor renovations happening there still can't help it all that much.

As for Montreal, things are moving slower with more targeted efforts. We don't have the money to build an Opera house or large museum's expansion with star architects, so we concentrate on smaller interventions that adds up to make the city more and more beautiful and, therefore, more attractive to visitors. I'm always amaze by the transformations of Old Montreal, from a decrepit tourist trap 15 years ago to a wonderful, very well restaured historic district with tons of new restaurants, hotels, bars, art galleries and exlusive stores. Montreal takes advantage of what is has and goes from there to improve itself, slowly but surely. In 15 years, this city will be even smaller than Toronto, maybe with even less sheer energy, but it will become more beautiful than it ever was before, one street and one building at a time.

There is no doubt that Toronto will continue to out pace Montreal is growth, however I think Montreal is doing it with more style and with more consideration and input from its citizens.

Montreal has this false image of a city that is stuck in the 70's...

Montreal also still thinks of Toronto in its 1970s form

I don't agree. In the french papers, they talk a lot (sometimes enviously, but without resentment) about what's going on in Toronto. I don't know anyone here who doesn't know how much Toronto has changed in the last ten to fifteen years. The old cliche of a "sleeping" Toronto where you can't have fun is long gone. The only media backlash I read sometimes about Toronto is coming from the anglophone medias. They seem to have a much harder time to accept the supremacy of Toronto. Francophones deal with that in a much more serene way. I think there always will be some degree of rivalry between the two cities and that's perfectly natural. Actually, it pushes both to outdo ourself. It's a good thing.

The only reason I say that is because of my experience with a few of my Montreal colleagues who come to Toronto on business. I've heard comments that range from "wow, there's life after 5 p.m." to surprise that when they went out to bars during the week in Toronto while here on business, they were packed. I got the feeling that they still had images of Toronto from the '70's.

i still find Montreal still nowhere near as business oriented as Toronto.

meaning i find they are more casual about breaks, lunch and work.

Back