News   Apr 24, 2024
 986     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 630     0 

Montreal beats out Toronto for catching world's eye as tourist destination

Now, that's not to say that there's not great things to do in Toronto, but we do not promote them, as we're not tourist focused.

Toronto is a good destination for tourists, it just does a lousy job of promoting itself.

Both of which ought to be part of what campaigning for tourism is all about. Please take note Tourism Toronto.

It says alot to me when people in New York City identify with, and recognize, Montreal more readily as a tourist attraction than Toronto. I mean, these are people living in New York. In that respect, I think Montreal has a tradition of recognition, and/or has managed to market the qualities of the city very well.

...though in my experience most Americans' familiarity (or not) with Montreal, including that of born-and-bred New Yorkers, is the result of heading up for underage drinking weekends during high school and college. I mean, I guess it doesn't matter *how* you get them in the door, but still....

Good point. Montreal's image relies on its past, in the way that New Orlean's does. Toronto is happening now, which is building what will become its image in the future. This to me is far more exciting.

I'm always amazed that somebody will assess Toronto's international reputation based on an interaction with some uninformed or ignorant individual? In my travels I've met people who didn't really know a lot about the city, but I've also met a lot who did.

Montreal does rely on its historic "charm" to attract tourists, but it's just one of many aspects of the city's attractions. To say that Montreal relies solely on its past is over simplification. This city also attract attention for its contemporary cultural scene, the "design" scene (hotel boutiques, art galleries, shops, in Old Montreal and Le Plateau), etc. Montreal is very much on the radar of hipsters looking for the next '"in' destination. And it's not just a question of old grey stones and victorian corniches. All this being said, it's true that Toronto is just as vibrant and innovative, maybe even more. So it's really a question of finding a way to sell Toronto as efficiently as Montreal sells itself.

Montreal does rely on its historic "charm" to attract tourists, but it's just one of many aspects of the city's attractions. To say that Montreal relies solely on its past is over simplification. This city also attract attention for its contemporary cultural scene, the "design" scene (hotel boutiques, art galleries, shops, in Old Montreal and Le Plateau), etc. Montreal is very much on the radar of hipsters looking for the next '"in' destination. And it's not just a question of old grey stones and victorian corniches. All this being said, it's true that Toronto is just as vibrant and innovative, maybe even more. So it's really a question of finding a way to sell Toronto as efficiently as Montreal sells itself.

Montreal is constantly trading on its 'frenchness', promoting itself as some sort of North American 'Paris'. It's an easy message to pitch and no other N. American city can really compete with it.

Regarding architecture, Montreal has done a better job of preserving its past, particularly in Old Montreal, but once you leave this small area, it's no more interesting than Toronto, architecturally.

Montreal is constantly trading on its 'frenchness', promoting itself as some sort of North American 'Paris'. It's an easy message to pitch and no other N. American city can really compete with it.

They focus on what's unique about the city. Although, if you really want an old Europe flavouring, it's Quebec City.

Caribana is a very big tourist draw to the city, In many cirlces toronto is known for its carinival!

film festival , caribana, whats next? the city has to have a mass of things that connect people to it both big and small, small is equally as important as the big events like the film fest, its all about detail, indie, unique local based creativity that you cant see anywhere else, these things are usually created from the bottom up!

Caribana is a very big tourist draw to the city, In many cirlces toronto is known for its carinival!

film festival , caribana, whats next? the city has to have a mass of things that connect people to it both big and small, small is equally as important as the big events like the film fest, its all about detail, indie, unique local based creativity that you cant see anywhere else, these things are usually created from the bottom up!

I think what the city really needs is a major winter festival or string of festivals. It really becomes a quiet period in the city.

Good point. Montreal's image relies on its past, in the way that New Orlean's does. Toronto is happening now, which is building what will become its image in the future. This to me is far more exciting.

I'm always amazed that somebody will assess Toronto's international reputation based on an interaction with some uninformed or ignorant individual? In my travels I've met people who didn't really know a lot about the city, but I've also met a lot who did.

Hang on a second....if there are lots of uninformed or ignorant people, what does that say about Toronto? People don't know about Toronto because it is not a world class city in terms of attractions or being a tourist destination. My wife is a travel consultant who specializes in bringing Japanese people to Canada, and Toronto is a tough sell to them.

I'll take Montreal any day over Toronto when it comes to tourism.

Montreal has a quality historical architecture and urban development and a quality contemporary architecture and urban development. It`s about quality; Toronto doesn`t have nor the historical one neither the contemporary one. The political, economical, architectural mentality it`s not there ,yet. It would take at least 50 years to get to the same level if working on this would start today. The problem is that not much is happening right now except business.

Have we been transported back to the 50s? There is nothing happening in Toronto but business? Not true at all.

Montreal has a quality historical architecture and urban development and a quality contemporary architecture and urban development. It`s about quality; Toronto doesn`t have nor the historical one neither the contemporary one.

I'd have to challenge that. Montreal has more than its fair share of ugly slab being built as we speak (including some projects straight out of 60s), and the institutional architecture has not kept up pace with Toronto. I fail to see where this quality is coming from, but it is hardly coming from contemporary architecture in Montreal. Montreal does have some impressive historic architecture, but certainly nothing to put it head and shoulders above Toronto.

The political, economical, architectural mentality it`s not there ,yet. It would take at least 50 years to get to the same level if working on this would start today. The problem is that not much is happening right now except business.

If you think all that is happening in Toronto is business, I shall make a bold statement: you don't know the city. :)

Let's see: biggest or second biggest film festival in the world (happening right now), summer cultural festivals that similarly draw millions, a highly active music scene (of all stripes), tangent multicultural element, a restaurant scene that blows most cities on the continent (and beyond) out of the water, and that's to say nothing of actual neighbourhoods that make the city as successful as it is.

Multiculturalism is not a tourist draw. Perhaps we have slightly more and better exotic restaurants than similar sized cities, but where's our Little Manila? Where's Little Somalia?

Back