News   Apr 24, 2024
 465     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 635     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 508     0 

Montreal beats out Toronto for catching world's eye as tourist destination

The only media backlash I read sometimes about Toronto is coming from the anglophone medias. They seem to have a much harder time to accept the supremacy of Toronto.

Oh, you are completely right about that, MartinMtl! Even when I was living in Montreal more than twenty years ago, the biggest doses of Toronto-angst came from the anglo media.

i still find Montreal still nowhere near as business oriented as Toronto.

meaning i find they are more casual about breaks, lunch and work.

Very few cities are as business oriented as Toronto is. That's because Toronto is a business city. Some might say it is THE business city in Canada.
Yes, yes, it's also a creative city, etc. But finance, marketing et al are this city's bread and butter. Even post-secondary education is becoming more about business -- the whole purpose of the MaRS district is to create business and generate wealth from new discoveries in university labs.

By contrast, Quebec City (one of my faves) basically shuts down between noon and 2 p.m. and good luck finding a spot on a patio. Quebec City is not a business city. Not a good thing or a bad thing. But definitely different.

i still find Montreal still nowhere near as business oriented as Toronto.

meaning i find they are more casual about breaks, lunch and work.

I was talking with a friend who works at Bell a little while back. He said it seems on the surface that they're more casual with such things - but they make up the hours.

i am not suggest they are lazy (like some people say), they just are more casual about work.

Wish we more of that...

He said it seems on the surface that they're more casual with such things - but they make up the hours.

I don't think so. The work ethic is completely different in the two cities.

I don't think so. The work ethic is completely different in the two cities.

Yeah, he said it's definitely different...but that they work hard as well.

This is just one example though, at a pretty large corporation.

I can understand the appeal of a more laid back and casual approach to work...but it's often a two way street. If everyone, including businesses took that attitude there's a very good possibility Toronto wouldn't be where it is today.

Couldn't one argue that Toronto and Montreal are as about as different in this regard as say London and Paris are? Both cities are fantastic but the vibes are different.

^Your examples are a bit glittering, but I think your idea is essentially correct.

^Naughty, naughty; reinforcing those nasty stereotypes.

I remember the one about the new bar opening in Toronto called "Thank God it's Monday," where Torontonians waited around until next work week started.

By contrast, Quebec City (one of my faves) basically shuts down between noon and 2 p.m. and good luck finding a spot on a patio. Quebec City is not a business city. Not a good thing or a bad thing. But definitely different.

That's because its a government city. Parts of P.E.I. are like that in the summer - for the summer.

I know, Hyrdogen. Gotta love those outdated stereotypes...Montrealers sitting around discussing Michel Foucault, Torontonians running to the Go Train to bone up on their sleep till the next day of work.

...and probably still wodering wtf Foucalt was actually trying to say.

Then I hung out with workaholics when living in Montreal.

Then again, maybe that's why they all left.

Back