News   May 02, 2024
 227     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 158     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 209     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention 4 Seasons -- the only other publicly announced Yorkville-area project that even approaches 1BE in height (although I would not be surprised if there were one or more Yorkville-area projects currently under wraps, also in the same height range).

Bill

It would be really cool to get this in a east west comparison. There is an old one from a while back, but it is a little blurry.

Great job on this 3D.

Great job, 3D, shows just how massive this beast will be..:)

had to change my sig 'cause it turns out advertising doesn't work ... no-one went to the 3D thread (boy am I in the wrong business). Boo.............. who. Boo me? Boo you

3D you're now getting some serious loving. Good work.

There is five floors of underground parking planned.

Is this possible? It seems like the bloor subway platform is only maybe some 30 feet below street level... I'm curious, does anyone have any specs on exactly how the underground is configured underneath the doomed Harvey's?

And thanks for the awesome diagram 3D!

I'm quite certain the Yonge subway tunnel is considerably east of Yonge Street, perhaps 100 feet or more. I remember when the Xerox building's site was being excavated in the early 90's and for a few months part of the platform's ceiling was open to the street. I remember being able to look up and see The Bay & Plaza II towers up above. If my bearings are correct I suspect B/D subway tunnel lies beneath, or slightly north of Bloor Street but I can't be certain.

Will it include a tunnel to a subway jumping platform for those who bought a closet in this building for half a million and figured out that it was a bad idea?

Their Linai's could serve that purpose

Will it include a tunnel to a subway jumping platform for those who bought a closet in this building for half a million and figured out that it was a bad idea?

According to the Baker real estate site, the prices are quoted to range from 469K to 24 million (I'm assuming 25, given the recent purchase, but that billionaire has 10 days to back out). I'd really be interested to know how many buyers are investors and how many intend to live there. I would think that someone who pays that much for the location won't let the lack of direct subway access be the deciding factor, but who knows...there is a subway access on Hayden, so I would think that they would be able to use that as an access point?

I'm quite certain the Yonge subway tunnel is considerably east of Yonge Street, perhaps 100 feet or more. I remember when the Xerox building's site was being excavated in the early 90's and for a few months part of the platform's ceiling was open to the street. I remember being able to look up and see The Bay & Plaza II towers up above. If my bearings are correct I suspect B/D subway tunnel lies beneath, or slightly north of Bloor Street but I can't be certain.

The Yonge line is under the Xerox building and the Bloor line is north of Bloor so there's no reason that they can't put parking under 1 Bloor E.

Further contrary opinions

Well said, Don.

Five Essential Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors

Globe Investor Magazine Online, Nov. 21, 2007
BY HELEN BURNETT

Real estate prices are still breaking records across Canada, although higher interest rates are expected to affect the affordability of the residential sector through the end of this year and in 2008.

The average property is expected to rise in value by more than 10 per cent this year and more than 5 per cent in 2008, says the Canadian Real Estate Association.

Real estate expert Don Campbell, president of the Real Estate Investment Network and author of Real Estate Investing in Canada and 97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors has several do’s and don’ts for existing and aspiring real estate investors looking to get involved in this popular asset class.

1. Study the market before you take action.
In spite of the current differences between the property markets in Eastern and Western Canada, Mr. Campbell says that no matter what market you’re investing in, there are a number of questions that have to be asked by investors, before they know that they’re investing rather than speculating. These questions include whether the area’s population is growing faster than the provincial average. Is it an area of renewal or gentrification? Is it attractive to baby boomers?

2. Never speculate, always invest.
With people lining up to buy presale condominiums, as has recently happened with a few properties in downtown Toronto, Mr. Campbell says that if the property doesn’t exist, it is speculation rather than an investment. While people may eventually make money this way, he adds that “there’s no real investment mentality involved there; investors don’t line up to buy something, because they know there’s no negotiation opportunity whatsoever, they know they’re paying a premium.†In contrast, those who are investing have already studied the market, done their due diligence and asked the key questions, which Mr. Campbell says are impossible to answer before a property has been built.

The biggest issue that occurs in the real estate market, he says, is that people take the “hot-tip†mentality, buying a property without doing the due diligence. As a result, Mr. Campbell cautions investors to never invest based on tips.

3. Don’t invest in a property just because it seems cheap.
“In the real estate game, its cheap because of a reason,†says Mr. Campbell. This reason may be location, or factors resulting from a failure to study the market, he adds; but in the end, it is all about perspective.

4. Follow a long-term system.
Never allow yourself to get too high or too low based on daily announcements, Mr. Campbell cautions. For example, real estate investors shouldn’t panic based on the dollar’s daily value.

“If the Bank of Canada comes out and says the dollar’s at $1.10 (U.S.) today and five days later it’s down at $1.01, if you ride that roller coaster, you shouldn’t be in real estate.â€

Part of this strategy is eliminating day-trade mentality, when the investor is responding to every report that comes out, which creates too many highs and lows, he says. “Real estate is a long-term five, seven, 10-, 12-year type of investment. Day trade mentality will kill you in the real estate game,†he adds.

5. Focus on cash flow, not equity appreciation.
Negative cash-flow properties can eat into your portfolio, warns Mr. Campbell. “We can all justify and talk ourselves into a negative cash-flow property if we think its going to go up $20,000 or $50,000…over the next two years; however that€™s speculating, that’s not investing,†he says.

Special to The Globe and Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back