News   Jul 12, 2024
 936     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 829     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 336     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for January 21, 2013.

Then. Hester How Public School. 1952. Elizabeth St, W side, facing Walton Street.

hesterhowps1952.jpg

http://www.ago.net/hester-how

I totally remember the Union Jack as one of the flags primary schools would fly. I was a child in the 70s so there was the Canadian flag, the Union Jack and Elmer the Safety Elephant.

We had Canada, Elmer and Ontario with the U.J. on it in 1975. Our grade 7 english teacher, Mr. Harrison, was a WW2 bomber pilot. Turns out he was on a sortie that bombed a labour camp in Germany, where our schools janitor was working at the same time. Odd they would both wind up at a Peel county senior public school.

Paul

"Whatever happened to all the fun in the world? Life is just not the same without him."
QUOTE: FAW.

Don't forget John Smothers!
(I miss them both.)

Regards,
J T

J.T., if he was a German officer, he was likely intered at the former lunatic asylum at Gravenhurst. The S.S. Sagamo used to sail out of Gravenhurst with the ships band playing "God Save the King" and "There will always be an England" as it passed the prison camp.

Paul

It is possible Gravenhurst would have looked far less developed than it does today, and would have been much bushier(is that a word?) than it is now. Lethbridge Alberta also had a P.O.W. camp. Many of the internee's returned to Lethbridge after the war to settle there because they were so well treated while they were there.

Paul

Then and Now for January 23, 2013.

Then. 'Queen Street East Church.' Queen and Vancouver, NW corner, c1899. Looks like a growing congregation; if you go by the addition to the front; or would that be the other way around, I wonder?

922QueenVancouverNWc1899.jpg

Now. July 2012.

923.jpg

Definitely other-way-around, i.e. old church added-to and reused for industrial purposes (a little like that one on Spadina just S of Queen)

Back