1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 351     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Looks like the addition was to the rear:

pictures-r-4137.jpg

'1859'... I imagine there wasn't much built up this far east along Queen? I would love to see a map of this area from that era.

Thanks wwwebster!, and thanks for sourcing the original pic too.

A nice practical little building with a usable basement.

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 24, 2013.

Then. 280 Bloor W. April 29, 1924. I don't know when this place was erected, who owned it, or when it was demolished, can anyone help?

924.jpg

Now. July 2012.

925.jpg

Mustapha: This house was to the east of the Baha'i Centre on the site of the Holiday Inn (one can still see a different house behind the Centre by walking up Huron) and survived, more or less intact, until the 70's. When the Holiday Inn site was to be redeveloped (late 70's, early 80's I believe) by Murray Goldman, the house was to to be moved around the corner to what was then a vacant lot on St. George, just north of the Medical Arts Building. During the process the house collapsed. A faux-Victorian building was built on St. George in its place. Not one of the finer moments for heritage or the development industry (or architecture).

house.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it was about 1985. And at least said "faux-Victorian" is a more-or-less authentic Postmodern spin on Victorian rather than something more grossly literal...

'1859'... I imagine there wasn't much built up this far east along Queen? I would love to see a map of this area from that era.

Thanks wwwebster!, and thanks for sourcing the original pic too.

A nice practical little building with a usable basement.

There wasn't much built up by 1884...
Ashbridge_zpsccbabd80.jpg

Then and Now for January 24, 2013.

280 Bloor W. April 29, 1924. I don't know when this place was erected, who owned it, or when it was demolished, can anyone help?

Wow, what a blast of nostalgia! I had an office in this house 1976-77, on the top floor at the back. Left the city late '77, and on a return visit a few years later (but definitely before 1985) came by to have a look at it again and was shocked to find an empty lot with a few stray bricks lying around. I did not know that the house disintegrated during a moving attempt.

Someone said it had been used as a girls' school at one time. The top floor rooms were no doubt originally servants' rooms - tiny with low ceilings and knee walls. They were a real contrast to the grand entrance at the front door. A centre staircase ascended from a large front hall to a landing featuring a stained-glass window depicting (I think) St. George.

Last edited:
Mustapha: This house was to the east of the Baha'i Centre on the site of the Holiday Inn (one can still see a different house behind the Centre by walking up Huron) and survived, more or less intact, until the 70's. When the Holiday Inn site was to be redeveloped (late 70's, early 80's I believe) by Murray Goldman, the house was to to be moved around the corner to what was then a vacant lot on St. George, just north of the Medical Arts Building. During the process the house collapsed. A faux-Victorian building was built on St. George in its place. Not one of the finer moments for heritage or the development industry (or architecture).

house.jpg

Thank you thecharioteer. Sorry everyone.

Front and Scott, 1883 or 1884 (TPL):

The British America Assurance Company

pictures-r-4327.jpg

Today:

frontscott.jpg

The 'Then' reminds me of sections of todays St. Jacques Street in Montreal.. a preserved Front and Scott intersection would have been lovely, especially at night.

Last edited:

Back