News   Jun 26, 2024
 194     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

thedeepend, one of the details in those pics is the wallpapered ceilings. That was done to keep the plaster from falling. Kind of the Victorian home repair equivalent of muffler repair tape. Useless, but done anyways.

This is not necessarily directly related to the photos above or the people who lived in those specific conditions, but I've always wondered what the smell was like in downtown Toronto back. I mean, the dirt roads, the horses, most people not having regular bathing or laundry access. I guess I'm speaking of a few decades before but do you think there was a general stink in the air?

Speaking of Elizabeth St. --------

The new city hall changed so much of the surrounding environment.

Attachments

• TN Elizabeth at Dundas 1930-2009.jpg
    TN Elizabeth at Dundas 1930-2009.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 347
  • TN Elizabeth St. housing 1913-2009.jpg
    TN Elizabeth St. housing 1913-2009.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 335
Great retropective, deepend. Perhaps early Toronto was more like New York today: the rich were richer and the poor were poorer.

One of the poor (1915):
oneoftheporr1915.jpg

Eaton Dinner at King Edward Hotel:
EatonsDinneratKingEddie.jpg

Garden Party at Fort York:
Garden_party_at_Fort_York.jpg

And yet life went on for ordinary people:

Scarborough Beach Park:
Crowd_at_Scarboro_Beach_Park.jpg

Women walking on Eglinton near Bathurst (1912):
Women_Walking_on_Eglinton.jpg

U of T Botany class, High Park 1910:
University_of_Toronto_botany_class_.jpg

North Toronto CPR Station 1916 (currently the Summerhill LCBO):
North_Toronto_CPR_station.jpg

July 24 addition.

Queen looking E towards Bay.

For those out-of-towners less familiar with Toronto; the Eaton's store is the main casualty...

fo0002_ser0008_ss0004_s0008_ss0004_.jpg

DSCF0891.jpg

They've added a few decorative doodads to the new roof at Old City Hall, too, and stuck those gargoyles on the campanile - apparently an educated guess at what the originals looked like. The trees have come along nicely, and shelter Revell's building from view quite effectively from certain angles.

The gargoyles weren't original?

Also: I like the green copper roofing better.

And as you can tell from the photo in the previous post, the original roof wasn't even copper--it was slate. (Maybe they should have used slate in the restoration. Might have spared the building added tarnish and erosion.)

Back