News   Jun 17, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 153     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 316     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Request: Does anyone have 'Before' and 'After' views of the north-west corner of Logan and Riverdale? That block, between Riverdale and Withrow ( on the east side of Logan, too ), had a number of small commercial enterprises until fairly recently - I remember it in the mid-'70s - and there's a small house that's just gone up for sale there that was once a hairdressers. These small commercial clusters at intersections were quite common in the old city, but so many have been converted to residential.

Withrow Park - 1912

Request: Does anyone have 'Before' and 'After' views of the north-west corner of Logan and Riverdale? That block, between Riverdale and Withrow ( on the east side of Logan, too ), had a number of small commercial enterprises until fairly recently - I remember it in the mid-'70s - and there's a small house that's just gone up for sale there that was once a hairdressers. These small commercial clusters at intersections were quite common in the old city, but so many have been converted to residential.

I don't have what you're looking for but perhaps this old photo (1912) of Withrow Park will interest you (and others).

Attachments

• Withrow Park From Logan 1912.jpg
    Withrow Park From Logan 1912.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 372
Though I'm as guilty as anyone in bemoaning the loss of all those blocks east of Yonge, south of Queen (particularly Toronto Street) as well as Financial District gems such as the Toronto Star and G&M Buildings, these pictures are a dose of much-needed cold water on my latent nostalgia. I'm not that old, but I do remember that parking garage, and like much of the area, it wasn't very pretty!

Though were that stuff a number of blocks to the west (and therefore out of financial-district range), it might well be within Margie Zeidler radar...

I see you're branching out a bit Mustapha. I like it. These simple street scenes get more interesting as time goes. It's great to look back on the fashionable clothes, shoes and hair styles of the time. Merci beaucoup.

I lived in and around Kensington for years and years ... it really hasn't changed all that much, gentrification fears notwithstanding. I do miss the live chickens ... they gave it that "European" feel and were great for pranks at U of T.

Great pictures! Here are some from Kensington and the Ward from the '10's and 20's:

Bellevue Square:
BellevueSquare.jpg

Bellevue & College:
BellevueandCollege.jpg

Horse and buggy, Kensington Market;
HorseBuggyKensington.jpg

Market day:
Jewish_market_day2C_Kensington_Aven.jpg

Fish vendor:
fishvendor1920.jpg

Butcher shop:
Butcher_sign_in_the_Ward.jpg

The rag picker:
Jewish_rag_picker2C_Bloor_Street_We.jpg

Children in the Ward:
Children_in_the_Ward.jpg

Boys in front of movie theatre:
Boys_in_front_of_the_movie_theatre_.jpg

Chestnut Street:
Boys_with_hoops_on_Chesnut_Street.jpg

Four children in the Ward:
Four_children_in_the_Ward.jpg

Last edited:
Kind of sad that the Jews moved up the Bathurst corridor into deep suburbia. It's a pain for me to satisfy my knish fix. Today's 'King of Kensington' is 'King of Thornhill.' Thanks for the pics from the 'Old Country,' Charioteer.

Kind of sad that the Jews moved up the Bathurst corridor into deep suburbia. It's a pain for me to satisfy my knish fix. Today's 'King of Kensington' is 'King of Thornhill.' Thanks for the pics from the 'Old Country,' Charioteer.

Yitz's at Eglinton and Avenue Road is not bad. Their knishes are not as good as those of my grandmother's, but then again no ones is.

Yitz's at Eglinton and Avenue Road is not bad. Their knishes are not as good as those of my grandmother's, but then again no ones is.

If there are better beef knishes downtown or midtown than Yitz's, I need to know! Yitz's knishes are as good today as in 1980 when I first tried one.

Hard to believe Chestnut street; Elizabeth street, etc. once hosted the Ward, then Chinatown, then 'renewal' and clearances in the 70s and now - pfff-t. Nothing left - lath and plaster workers cottages once dotted the east side of Chestnut - converted into storefronts. Wooden structures too, like you see in New Orleans. From Armoury to Dundas. Old Chinese bachelors eked out businesses from there. It was from them that I learned how to curse in Toisanese Chinese. I feel their ghosts when I walk through here - on my way to dim sum at Lai Wah Heen at the Metropolitan.:) Kidding. never been; cheaper on Spadina.

July 23 addition.

Dundas E, looking NNW, from about 100m E of Bathurst.

ser372_ss0033b_s0372_ss0033b_it0476.jpg

DSCF0894.jpg

those photos of the Ward reminded me how stunningly poor many immigrants were when they first arrived in the city. the conditions are hard to comprehend.

slum13.jpg

slum4.jpg

slum5.jpg

slumhousing.jpg

slum.jpg

immigrants.jpg

immigrants1912-2.jpg

slum2.jpg

slum17.jpg

slum11.jpg

slum6.jpg

slum18.jpg