News   Jul 11, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 598     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 727     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Perhaps they were investigating bed bugs based on what looks like blood stains on the bed

Dept. of health? Did they investigate the health hazards in these buildings?

slum17.jpg

The archival photo says Edward, not Elm.

And it definitely would be Edward, because that's where Macleans was housed...

Fixed; here we go. :) Thank you guys.

fo1231_f1231_it0681.jpg

DSCF0987-1.jpg

Yonge and Mill looking ENE.
The swimming pool "drowned" in Hurricane Hazel for those whose memories don't stretch that far back.

Just think, you can ONLY know of stuff like this by reading Urban Toronto. :)

Well, that didn't work!

Here's the old thumbnail again -------

For UTers late coming to this thread, a reminder that there were extensive discussions awhile back about the Ford Hotel. There seems to be some sort of present day fascination with it.

I like this view of the Jolly Miller - it shows the sign that was painted by C.W. Jefferys with the likeness of the rotund miller who gave the inn its name.

I wonder what ever became of the sign? I'm only reminded because my son wanted to rip down an old restaurant sign that appealed to him.

I received this email from UTer Pat (NomoreaTorontonian) about this previously posted then and now pair :

fo1231_f1231_it0751.jpg

DSCF0875-1.jpg

""A friend and I were talking about the old picture a few weeks ago. From what he said then I thought it was down a bit from the SW corner.

But if it was on the NW corner, was it one of the original Lawrence family houses? Or a replacement?

Are there exterior photos of the old Atkinson house at Bedford Park around? There is a well-known interior shot, I know.
/cheers
Pat (NomoreaTorontonian)""

NomoreaTorontonain... 3068 Yonge doesn't exist. On the SW corner there is a hydro substation and a Coffee Time, #s 3038 and 3050 respectively.
Then, you cross north over Lawrence ave. The subway entrance on the NW corner has no street number of course, and then the office building right next to it is #3080.
This of course doesn't prove that 3068 was on the NW corner beyond a doubt. More picture evidence is needed - ideally a wide angle street shot from that period in time - but I can't find anything like that in the archives.

As to the Atkinson House - I can't find any online pictures.

Here is a wide angle pic of the SW and NW corners taken from the SE. Our subway entrance is on the far right of the picture.

DSCF0995.jpg

July 28 addition.

Yonge at Lytton, NW corner, looking from the NE. The present structure is a ventilation building for the TTC subway line. A station here would be handy - it's quite the distance between Eglinton and Lawrence. Another one at Yonge Blvd would be nice too.

fo1231_f1231_it0844.jpg

DSCF0873-1.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures as always, Mustapha. The surviving annex at Macleans is suprising.

Not to be the class monitor, but I don't think the old picture of the hosue on Yonge is at Lytton; I suspect it's at Alexandra Blvd. and those old gates are still there. The house is now that condo called Alexandra Gate.

Great pictures as always, Mustapha.
The surviving annex at Macleans is suprising.
Not to be the class monitor, but I don't think the old picture of the hosue on Yonge is at Lytton; I suspect it's at Alexandra Blvd. and those old gates are still there. The house is now that condo called Alexandra Gate.

Thank you!

That 'annex' - I was surprised too, when it dawned on me.:)

Class monitor... no problem; I'm here to learn too. When my mistakes aren't pointed out, I take offense.;)

These are 2 different houses, I do believe...

Alexandra:

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0239_id001-1.jpg

Lytton:

fo1231_f1231_it0844.jpg

2668 places the old picture at Lytton, on the west side of Yonge.

If the note at the bottom of the photo is wrong - well, that opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Picture wanted.

I am looking for the old picture of Odd Fellows Hall building in Toronto. this building located at the corner of College and Yonge street and today this place is starbucks coffee. If anyone have the old picture of this corner or this building please post it here or let me know.

I really appreciate this.

Sorry, one more minor tidbit for today regarding 3068 Yonge:

http://bedfordpark.wordpress.com/

...apparently has some info about its history, and a photo, captioned:

"The Atkinson family poses outside their store at the northwest corner of Yonge & Lawrence in 1894. Photo on loan to the Toronto Public Library from the Atkinson family."

The description at the archives on this one is Northwest corner of Yonge Street and Alexandra Boulevard.
f1231_it0748.jpg

Taken same day, two different houses, two different corners, it looks like both streets had gates.

Last edited:
Great pictures as always, Mustapha. The surviving annex at Macleans is suprising.

Definitely; one might have thought it was closer in date to the *new* Macleans Building on University. Nothing like that "industrial rationalism" of yore (though I suspect the new windows make it look newer than it is)

IOOF Hall photo

I am looking for the old picture of Odd Fellows Hall building in Toronto. this building located at the corner of College and Yonge street and today this place is starbucks coffee. If anyone have the old picture of this corner or this building please post it here or let me know.

I really appreciate this.

postchi, Is this the building you're looking for? -- N/W corner Yonge-College.

Attachments

• Yonge at Carlton-College 1930.jpg
    Yonge at Carlton-College 1930.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IOOF-1-Yonge-College.jpg
    IOOF-1-Yonge-College.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 378
  • IOOF-2.jpg
    IOOF-2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 361
Definitely.

Any 60s/70s pictures when it had the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce sign atop the corner turret? And also, any pictures of the former Moderne store alterations along College (removed in the 90s restoration)?

The description at the archives on this one is Northwest corner of Yonge Street and Alexandra Boulevard.
f1231_it0748.jpg

Taken same day, two different houses, two different corners, it looks like both streets had gates.

Taken within minutes of each other too; judging from the shadows of the 11am-ish sun.

I might also add that our house at 2668 Yonge didn't last long. Going by memory, that corner was already a a gas station in the early 60s; and that was torn down and the present park and ventilator building put there as a result of the late 60s extension of the subway north from Eglinton. The workers let us kids look into the pit that is now the ventilator. There was much excitement when a so-called prehistoric horse was found a few feet into the shaft. News people came by too.

Last edited:
July 29 addition.

'Filip' identified this location; thank you Filip.

Queensway and Wesley, SW corner.

Queensway.jpg

DSCF0907.jpg

Is it just me, or does the old Hollywood Tavern look a bit more glamourous than its current incarnation as House of Lancaster, which has all the appeal of a self-storage facility? What would that local lady in her white gloves think about her neighbourhood corner today?

Back