News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

The Salada tea room may be located on Parliament Street, near to Wilton/Dundas. The Salada Tea Company operated a business on Parliament Street near Shuter Street.

Re Gothic Ave and the baths....is 16 Gothic the large place with the wrap-around porch that's still there today? I believe after being a private hospitacl it became a maternity home and/or a place for "unwed mothers'. It's now either condos or apartments, but still looks good.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1921:

571 St Clarens. (At Wallace Avenue.)
Rose, George.

573 St Clarens.
Griffith, William.

Thanks, JT, but I don’t think that’s it. 571 St. Clarens is actually a bit north of the corner, which is occupied by 174 Wallace.

Thanks, JT, but I don’t think that’s it. 571 St. Clarens is actually a bit north of the corner, which is occupied by 174 Wallace.

And the houses that are there look like they could have been there in 1921, but don't look anything like the ones in the photo.

Looking at the 1924 Goad's of the area around Dundas & Parliament, most of the numbers on the north/south streets are much lower than 571, so I'm not sure it's even close to there.

The Salada tea room may be located on Parliament Street, near to Wilton/Dundas. The Salada Tea Company operated a business on Parliament Street near Shuter Street.

I 'walked' up Parliament - in Streetview - until I came upon Amelia Street.

Then I 'walked' east along Amelia.

The first two houses on the south side - three story gabled Victorians - look mighty, mighty, close to the ones on the right side of the old picture.

The present day Esso Station at the south east corner of Parliament and Amelia has an address of 581. I don't know what the present address of the north east corner is. I Googled but didn't press it as it's late.

Was Parliament ever re-numbered - even along a section?

My case is also not as strong as it might be because Streetview clearly shows NO fire hydrant on the north east corner. Once a fire hydrant, always a fire hydrant - right?

Are we getting warmer?

Last edited:
The Winchester/Lakeview Hotel is at 531 Parliament Street, making the choice of Amelia Street very close to 571.
I've also checked the location of St. Batholomew's Anglican Church, at Dundas and Regent Streets. It is located at 509 Dundas Street East. This would place #571 at the south-eastern corner of either Belshaw Place, Sumach Street or River Street.
An aerial view of the entire area of Regent Park South, in 1955, from the Nelson Mandella Park Public School "School history" site is inconclusive.

The above was noticed after having combed the 1925 MIGHT'S, physically in my possession and confirmed by an online search of same, but of the year 1921.
If an other Kind Soul would have a go at the online Goad's (1921) they may be more fortunate/keen-eyed than I.
Kind regards,
J T

I took a quick look at the online 1921 directory and couldn't find anything that fits either. Maybe the date of the photo is (also) incorrect.

The present day Esso Station at the south east corner of Parliament and Amelia has an address of 581. I don't know what the present address of the north east corner is. I Googled but didn't press it as it's late.

Was Parliament ever re-numbered - even along a section?

My case is also not as strong as it might be because Streetview clearly shows NO fire hydrant on the north east corner. Once a fire hydrant, always a fire hydrant - right?

Are we getting warmer?

The turreted house at the north east corner of Parliament and Amelia was number #585 on the 1924 Goads (which covers both halves of a semi) and is #583 now. I would assume it was the same house that was there ca 1921. The site of the Esso station was #581. It was a coal yard, with the house to the south of the coal yard (seen in the photo below) numbered #563.

Something had to be renumbered...

The Winchester/Lakeview Hotel is at 531 Parliament Street, making the choice of Amelia Street very close to 571.
I've also checked the location of St. Batholomew's Anglican Church, at Dundas and Regent Streets. It is located at 509 Dundas Street East. This would place #571 at the south-eastern corner of either Belshaw Place, Sumach Street or River Street.
An aerial view of the entire area of Regent Park South, in 1955, from the Nelson Mandella Park Public School "School history" site is inconclusive.

Here is the section of the Goad's 1924 map for 571 Dundas. The north south street to the west is Sackville and 571 and 575 are separated by Callan Place.

Dundas Sackville.jpg

s0071_it2614.jpg

Attachments

• Dundas Sackville.jpg
    Dundas Sackville.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
This would place #571 at the south-eastern corner of either Belshaw Place, Sumach Street or River Street.

The 1924 Goad has Wilton renamed as Dundas East, and shows 571 at the south-west corner of Dundas and a small lane apparently called Callan Place. No development on the west side of Callan.

Back